Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA J On Board Service MIA/LIM - DFW/LIM A321NEO

AA J On Board Service MIA/LIM - DFW/LIM A321NEO

Old Mar 15, 22, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
My wife hit 2MM, and we received and burned our first ever and only SWUs on this route for an upcoming trip to Peru. SFO-DFW-LIM and the reverse on return. Only 3 of the 4 legs cleared, with the first SFO-DFW leg wait-listed. Feels like a waste after reading this thread, but we have no other opportunities to use the SWUs this year on better flights before they expire in December.
Old Mar 16, 22, 9:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by mangoMan View Post
My wife hit 2MM, and we received and burned our first ever and only SWUs on this route for an upcoming trip to Peru. SFO-DFW-LIM and the reverse on return. Only 3 of the 4 legs cleared, with the first SFO-DFW leg wait-listed. Feels like a waste after reading this thread, but we have no other opportunities to use the SWUs this year on better flights before they expire in December.
I was going to say look for a schedule change so you can reschedule and re-route through MIA thinking that there is at least one flight a day that has a widebody for SFO-MIA, then that would be a better use of the SWU.
But now I realize there are no widebodies scheduled that I can see for SFO-MIA.
Still, for a flight on F recliners I may prefer 5.5hrs + 5.5hrs (via MIA) than 3hrs + 7hrs (via DFW), not a fan of MIA airport though.
Old Mar 16, 22, 9:52 am

Programs: UA:1K MM - AS: 75K - AF/KL: S – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by Herb687 View Post
No.
Screw miles. Book the better seat.
That's exactly what I did.

Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Miles or SWUs for upgrades.
You are doing the right thing, choosing the airline with a better product for your itinerary.
History says you are in the minority (willing to pay J on this route). Yields are very low in business for this route, therefore AA doesn't care in offering a better product.
UA's flight tonight is completely full in J. No upgrades cleared.

Old Mar 16, 22, 9:52 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by TomA View Post
Does the route still get Flagship lounge access?
No. FL is for passengers on a flight sold with Flagship service. In those cases, Business/First pax get it regardless of status. Coach passengers with Platinum or higher get it.

CK's get it no matter when they're flying, to any destination in any class of service.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp
Old Mar 16, 22, 9:56 am

So who is correct here? haha (AA is really confusing with this stuff. Even they don't seem to know.)

Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
Status gets you into FL if MVP Gold or Gold 75K and flying to the South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela).
Only AA and AS elites have this limitation, other OneWorld elites (Sapphire and Emerald) are not limited by where they fly, as long as it is on a OW carrier
I suspect someone was confused about Colombia, as it is not eligible according to
Flagship Lounge − Travel information − American Airlines (aa.com)
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
No. FL is for passengers on a flight sold with Flagship service. In those cases, Business/First pax get it regardless of status. Coach passengers with Platinum or higher get it.
CK's get it no matter when they're flying, to any destination in any class of service.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...hip-lounge.jsp

Last edited by TomA; Mar 16, 22 at 10:43 am
Old Mar 16, 22, 10:11 am
PHL

So who is correct here? haha (AA is really onfusing with this stuff. Even they don't seem to know.)
The AA Flagship Lounge link from the aa site is correct. The thing I missed in my previous post was that AS Gold and Gold 75K are included in this access policy. Still must be on a flight that is sold as Flagship. If the Lima flights are no longer sold as such, then FL access is not allowed when flying this route unless you happen to be a CK.

From the AA flagship link:

Get access if you’re departing on or connecting to a qualifying same-day international flight marketed and operated by American or a oneworld airline (regardless of cabin).*

Eligible elite status members

AAdvantage

• Executive Platinum
  • Platinum Pro
  • Platinum

Mileage PlanTM

• MVP Gold 75K
  • MVP Gold

Qualifying international flights

Flights with seats ticketed as Flagship between the U.S. and:

• Asia
  • Australia
  • Europe
  • New Zealand
  • South America (excluding Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Suriname and Venezuela)

My comments:
As long as the flight in question to Lima is not ticketed as flagship between US and South America, an eligible elite member would only get access to the AAdmirals club.
Old Mar 16, 22, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
If the Lima flights are no longer sold as such, then FL access is not allowed when flying this route unless you happen to be a CK.
My comments:
As long as the flight in question to Lima is not ticketed as flagship between US and South America, an eligible elite member would only get access to the AAdmirals club.
Yes, I thought that when I read it, but they make it confusing when they don't just list Peru in the exception list with Colombia, etc.
Because, they're going to say "marketed as Flagship," they don't need that list of exceptions anyway as none of the ones in the list are Flagship either.
Old Mar 16, 22, 11:00 am
PHL

I believe they're making this distinction because they allow Platinum and higher members access to AAdmirals loungs on any international itinerary, including Canada and the Caribbean. This wasn't the case up until a year ago and I'm pretty sure I got access to a FL flying to Costa Rica on a non FL route as a Plat pre pandemic.

They're now distinguishing it pretty clearly - you must be on a flagship operated route to get FL access. Else, go enjoy the AAdmirals Club.
Old Mar 16, 22, 11:12 am

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Originally Posted by carlosdca View Post
Still, for a flight on F recliners I may prefer 5.5hrs + 5.5hrs (via MIA) than 3hrs + 7hrs (via DFW), not a fan of MIA airport though.
Given the C inventory was initially available for flights to/from LIM but not on the domestic segments, it changes your equations a bit since there's a risk of ending up in Y, which is part of the reason I opted for the DFW connection.
carlosdca likes this.
Old Mar 16, 22, 11:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat Elite
Yes, I thought that when I read it, but they make it confusing when they don't just list Peru in the exception list with Colombia, etc.
Because, they're going to say "marketed as Flagship," they don't need that list of exceptions anyway as none of the ones in the list are Flagship either.
So Im Platinum Pro AND flying in J on the A321 from MIA to LIM and was not granted access to FL. When asked why not, they said that the flight NEEDS to operate Flagship seats, but had I had Emerald or Sapphire with any other OW airline, I would have been granted access. When I called AA, they had no idea.
Old Mar 16, 22, 12:15 pm
dll

Programs: AA EX PLT; Hilton Diamond; UA Plat
Originally Posted by olouie View Post
Damn just saw that no more lie flats - thats very sad. These are pretty uncomfortable flights in the A321NEOs. I doubt there will be sundaes.
In fairness, any flight on the A321NEO in business is pretty uncomfortable. I had an LAX-LIH last fall that clocked in right about 6 hours, gate-to-gate, and needed a massage. Not only are the seats poorly padded, I also find them slippery to the point I slide forward when seated. That puts pressure on one's lower back.
Old Mar 16, 22, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gunnerperu View Post
So Im Platinum Pro AND flying in J on the A321 from MIA to LIM and was not granted access to FL. When asked why not, they said that the flight NEEDS to operate Flagship seats, but had I had Emerald or Sapphire with any other OW airline, I would have been granted access. When I called AA, they had no idea.
If you have Emerald or Sapphire with another OW airline (barring a few exceptions like AS), you'd have access on any flight even domestic.
Old Mar 16, 22, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, Marriott Plat Elite
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
If you have Emerald or Sapphire with another OW airline (barring a few exceptions like AS), you'd have access on any flight even domestic.
It kinda sucks though that they dont look after their own elites, you know what I mean?
Old Mar 16, 22, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gunnerperu View Post
It kinda sucks though that they dont look after their own elites, you know what I mean?
It does, but practically I do understand it. Pre-pandemic, the FLs were a zoo with just non AA OWS/OWE and eligible intl passengers. If they allowed status and class of service passengers in, the waiting list to get in would be hours long.
Old Mar 16, 22, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
UA's flight tonight is completely full in J. No upgrades cleared.
These two flights are almost the same distance (332 miles difference)
I picked random dates in April.
On which flight do you think UA makes more money per business class seat IAH-LIM? or EWR-LHR?
If UA were short on aircrafts with lie-flats, would they send the better aircraft to LIM or LHR?

Search this Thread