Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens to checked bags if you bail on a delay and fly another carrier instead?

What happens to checked bags if you bail on a delay and fly another carrier instead?

Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
In situations like these the bags may get lost for a while or for good. It happened to me and there were sightings of the bag all over the country, lol...Got it back 2 months later...
Those are the best. Travel insurance pays for replacement goods and you end up getting your stuff back anyhow.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by wrp96
For domestic flights, positive bag match was eliminated a long time ago, because all bags are scanned. For international flights, positive bag match is still in effect.
I found out the other day all bags aren’t always scanned. I was fairly certain my bag didn’t make MIA to STT because the app said so. They were tagged preferred. They did end fact make it. Which I was very happy about.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Those are the best. Travel insurance pays for replacement goods and you end up getting your stuff back anyhow.
Yes, that's what happened...AA paid for it (insurance pays only if and after the airline declines)...

AA was lucky I had a modest bill to send them..of only several hundred $....
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:06 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by onanisland
I found out the other day all bags aren’t always scanned. I was fairly certain my bag didn’t make MIA to STT because the app said so. They were tagged preferred. They did end fact make it. Which I was very happy about.
TSA doesn't care about barcode scans. The previous poster was talking about x-ray scans.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2022, 5:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, that's what happened...AA paid for it (insurance pays only if and after the airline declines)...
Depends on the travel insurance; with mine I would claim delay/loss of baggage with insurance company and leave it to then deal with the airline if it chooses to do so,
nk15 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.