Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Worth Booking Flight With American vs Delta To Save Airmiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth Booking Flight With American vs Delta To Save Airmiles?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

I have roughly 2000 airmiles with american airlines. I flew with them a few times a while back. Back then was the policy no airmiles expired? But then they changed it to making sure you use it every two years in order to keep it? If so, when did this happen? I notice my delta miles and jetblue miles do not expire. However, I notice I haven't earned much points from delta because many of my previous trips were basic economy which earns zero points. Does it ever make sense to book main cabin with delta vs basic to earn the points? I could see possibly doing that if you are close to enough delta points for a trip so you do that vs basic economy? Or is that never worth it? American Airlines gives same points whether you are basic economy or main cabin right?

I notice that my airmiles expire later this year. I do not know if I will fly American again this year though. I have mainly flew with Delta mostly the last few times because its the cheapest and I done basic economy mostly. But with the whole covid situation, it makes sense to book main cabin so you can cancel and get ecredit. Back then I use to fly with Jetblue because it was cheaper. But because I have a carry on, Jetblue almost always cost more than Delta now. Also I know there the check in luggage is 5 dollars more compared to American and Delta.

Now assuming a flight from American Airlines and Delta is roughly the same... I know they have the same first check in bag fee... I got to assume almost everyone choose delta vs american right? I know this is an American Airlines subforum though. But would it be worth it to fly with American Airlines if same price as Delta if the main purpose is to save your airmiles from expiring? Or is that a foolish idea? I only have 2000 airmiles which seem to be worth 2
4 dollars or so? Is there a way to spend some of those airmiles so I could keep the points? I also didn't know you could actually use these points to book hotels as well. But obviously I have very little. The thing is I always felt delta airlines basic economy is much better than american airlines basic economy. I don't believe you even get tv entertainment on american airlines basic or main right? I always like Delta because they always had good entertainment with the tv. Thoughts on this?

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 26, 2022 at 9:05 am Reason: Merged both OPs into one OP
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You don't need to fly to keep your miles; you need mileage activity.

When I had a lot (over half a million) miles that were a few months away from expiring, I went through the AA shopping portal and bought a certificate at restaurant.com for $2. When the miles from that purchase posted, my entire balance of miles was extended another 18 months.

Whether it's worth your time to do this for a small mileage balance is up to you.

Somewhere, there's a thread about how to keep your miles from expiring. Another option is to link a credit card to aadvantage dining and pay with it at a participating restaurant.

Anything that generates any mileage activity at all will do the trick.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like a double post. FYI, DL Basic Economy fares earn miles based on price just like other DL fares (they did just recently end MQM/MQD/MQS earn on them which only matters if you care about earning status).
Old Jan 26, 2022, 1:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by xliioper
FYI, DL Basic Economy fares earn miles based on price just like other DL fares (they did just recently end MQM/MQD/MQS earn on them which only matters if you care about earning status).
Actually, DL BE fares no longer earn SkyMiles either (for tickets purchased after 12/9/21).
Old Jan 26, 2022, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
For 2K miles? I really wouldn't waste time thinking about them.
ebuck, enviroian, bosman and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:09 am

while I’m not as familiar with AA as Delta, I’m not sure how you could spend 2,000 miles with them. It might just be a sunk cost at this point.

Re: who you should fly in the future… it doesn’t sound like you’re a very frequent traveler. If you are (or want to be) picking one airline that works with your home base and sticking to it makes the most sense. A smattering of points across a couple airlines will never add up to a free ticket etc.

Re: main vs basic economy, with the changes DL has made to main cabin vs. Basic economy, I would always book main. Having the flexibility to change my flight or get an e-credit and choose a seat always seems worth it to me. Again, unless you’re going to stick to just flying DL the points part is secondary.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta SkyMiles are notoriously not worth very much. Unless you are a frequent traveler, it probably makes sense to fly the airline with the cheapest airfare and best flight times for you. A few thousand miles you might earn on a trip are worth in the neighborhood of $25.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aacar
Actually, DL BE fares no longer earn SkyMiles either (for tickets purchased after 12/9/21).
Ah you are right, I had seen the part about no Medallion credit, but missed the part about no Skymiles as well (although the announcement says that it only applies to flights both purchased after 12/9/21 and taken after 12/31/21 -- so anything flown before 12/31 should have earned miles).

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 26, 2022 at 8:44 am
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jerry90210
I have roughly 2000 airmiles with american airlines. I flew with them a few times a while back. Back then was the policy no airmiles expired? But then they changed it to making sure you use it every two years in order to keep it? If so, when did this happen? I notice my delta miles and jetblue miles do not expire. However, I notice I haven't earned much points from delta because many of my previous trips were basic economy which earns zero points. Does it ever make sense to book main cabin with delta vs basic to earn the points? I could see possibly doing that if you are close to enough delta points for a trip so you do that vs basic economy? Or is that never worth it? American Airlines gives same points whether you are basic economy or main cabin right?
One of my esteemed colleagues in the Delta forum has moved the cross-post that you made there over to this forum. As FlyerTalk rules prohibit cross-posting like this, in future please try to choose the best forum and post your question just once. Thank you!

~Moderator
ryandc99, LWkitty and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:14 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
2000 miles are worth, very roughly, $30, but only once you have enough miles to redeem them for something you want, which takes at least 7500 miles but more likely 25000 miles or so. That is, getting 1.5c per mile or so is possible if you’re redeeming them for a coach award. Miles in one account cannot be combined with miles in another account. 2000 miles on their own are worth close to zero. So I would not spend much at all to avoid losing 2000 miles.

(It is possible to get more than 1.5c per mile in value, but typically only for premium cabin long haul awards, which start at a lot more than 25000 miles, and those only have higher cash value if you might be willing to spend the cash on a premium cabin ticket purchase. When you only have 2000 miles, even 1.5c per mile is a generous valuation, I think.)
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Hate to be the party pooper but 2000 miles on AA these days means nothing.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by enviroian
Hate to be the party pooper but 2000 miles on AA these days means nothing.
I don't think there was ever a day when 2000 miles meant much. According to this, when AAdvantage debuted in 1981, 20,000 miles got you 25% off a round trip ticket. If anything, the ability to make use of 2000 miles has gotten better over time. But there's no scenario – even the most extravagant round-the-world trip where you get absurdly high on-paper value because you're redeeming award for a trip that virtually no one would pay cash for – where 2000 miles is worth spending more than about $50 to save.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have roughly 2000 airmiles with American airlines. I flew with them a few times a while back. Back then was the policy no airmiles expired? But then they changed it to making sure you use it every two years in order to keep it? If so, when did this happen? I notice my delta miles and Jetblue miles do not expire. However, I notice I haven't earned much points from delta because many of my previous trips were basic economy which earns zero points. Does it ever make sense to book main cabin with delta vs basic to earn the points? I could see possibly doing that if you are close to enough delta points for a trip so you do that vs basic economy? Or is that never worth it? American Airlines gives same points whether you are basic economy or main cabin right?
<snip>
As above 2000 AA ff miles are worth little. And if you do not use them/cannot use them are worth nothing. Need more than 2000 do get something of real value

Other ways to get AA ff miles to keep them alive--->Prevent AA miles / account from expiring / expiration & spend for other than flying
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I would donate the miles.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
<snipped>
I can't remember how long as it has been since AA miles didn't expire but I am sure it is well over at least one decade. Currently you need activity in or out of the account within 18 months
That said, there isn't much that I would do to save 2000 miles. There are simple ways to do it, but nothing I would do to save 2000K remaining miles if I didn't fly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.