Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$306 J -> F on LAX - JFK

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2022, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by metallo
That's less than a Y domestic midcon flight in many cases.
Not here to refute you, but just to say that JFK-LAX/SFO is $70 in Y currently with decent upgrade space....
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
Exactly what I am thinking. Stuff yourself at FFD, take a dump, then shower. A few more champagne and you are ready to sleep through the flight.
I like your style .
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by shrididdy
Not here to refute you, but just to say that JFK-LAX/SFO is $70 in Y currently with decent upgrade space....
Sure, I think MIA-LAX was going for even less in Y recently also. There have undoubtedly been some very good Y deals on transcons, especially hub-to-hub.

I meant that I've seen plenty of midcon routes with Y over $300, even with half empty cabins when not buying tickets last-minute... think something like STL-TUS or SAN-JAC.

Anyway, relevant to the OP's original question, to me, an extra $300 is a pretty good deal for lie flat seats the whole way between LAX and LHR, with FFD in JFK, as well, compared to some other potential value propositions on AA. Clearly, YMMV.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently
If you drink and have a big appetite, the benefit you will get from FFD will outweigh the price to upgrade. I was in FFD two days ago, and the food was superb. I checked out the FL selections post meal, and honestly, nothing really appealed to me. I'm sure the options would've been fine, but there was clearly a giant difference in FFD vs the normal lounge food. Also, for what its worth, the difference to go from J-F at purchase on a paid ticket is a lot greater than the upgrade offer you are receiving.
I can’t imagine how much I’d have to eat and drink to get $306 worth of value from FFD! They’d have to roll me to the flight!!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 5:08 pm

I upgraded from J to F on JFK-SNA two weeks ago which is a similar product. I would save your money. The dining was fun being served in courses on a tablecloth on the plane in F, but I see it is now just on trays like J. The extra seat space was good, but not that much different than J. I did not think my meal in FFD was that great at JFK. If you want to try it out, go for it. But for $300 you can get a much nicer meal while in London. I don't see a major differentiator between J and F.
knit-in likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I probably would upgrade at that pricepoint, especially if travelling alone, just to avoid having a seatmate.

Originally Posted by metallo
]
BTW, if you're drinking LPGS or sipping Johnnie Blue in FFD,
Is LPGS the new house champagne in FFDs? I've not been through any FFDs since Spring 2020 when Krug was the drop of choice...

LPGS would be quite the result given fears of what would replace the Krug that was being sold off cheap during the pandemic...

Last edited by Fraser; Jan 24, 2022 at 9:37 pm
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bgasser
I don't see a major differentiator between J and F.
1-1 vs. 2-2.
metallo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Fraser
Is LPGS the new house champagne in FFDs? I've not been through any FFDs since Spring 2020 when Krug was the drop of choice...

LPGS would be quite the result given fears of what would replace the Krug that was being sold off cheap during the pandemic...
Yes, LPGS is the current Champagne in JFK and MIA FFD. We'll hopefully see about LAX FFD later this week. It's no Krug, but a very good runner-up least!

-FlyerBeek
Fraser likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I can’t imagine how much I’d have to eat and drink to get $306 worth of value from FFD! They’d have to roll me to the flight!!
Let's start from the drinks. LPGS will set you back just over $200 a bottle at the liquor store. Restaurant markup normally be around 200%. Airport restaurant will certainly be higher. I have never had JW blue at a bar before. If someone has, please fill in the price.

Someone mentioned Bobby Van. Can someone fill in the price. The price of a steak at Keens would be around $80 + tax + tips

If the price is $306 for AYCE reasonably good food + LPGS + JW blue, I think it is a good deal.

PS. Last time I had order Dom at a hotel, the markup was 200%
FlyerBeek and esledo like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Someone mentioned Bobby Van. Can someone fill in the price. The price of a steak at Keens would be around $80 + tax + tips

If the price is $306 for AYCE reasonably good food + LPGS + JW blue, I think it is a good deal.
Relatively recent review (with menu prices) posted here: https://liveandletsfly.com/bobby-vans-jfk-review/

LPGS is a bit of a moot point, since the only Champagne Bobby Van's JFK appears to serve by the full bottle is non-vintage Veuve Clicquot for $165/bottle. Steaks start at $49 (for a 10oz filet) and go up from there. Add in a cocktail, starter, salad, sides, dessert, and after dinner drink, tax, and tip and it would certainly be possible to get up to $300.

-FlyerBeek
metallo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Or spend $300 at a nice restaurant in London that isn’t inside an airport.
FlyerBeek, bgasser and SamOF like this.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Very tempting, but I'd probably still pass. If it was going the other direction (longer flight time) I might bite. Would also prefer a slightly longer layover to enjoy FFD, but 2 hours is probably just enough to avoid potential rush. If the cost to upgrade counted for EQD/LP, I'd be more inclined to take it.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Very tempting, but I'd probably still pass. If it was going the other direction (longer flight time) I might bite. Would also prefer a slightly longer layover to enjoy FFD, but 2 hours is probably just enough to avoid potential rush. If the cost to upgrade counted for EQD/LP, I'd be more inclined to take it.
Since you mentioned LP. Will this upgrade price count towards LP?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Since you mentioned LP. Will this upgrade price count towards LP?
Don't have any first hand experience with these types of upgrades, but some recent posts in this thread imply that they wouldn't earn EQDs.

AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades

LPs appear to be still somewhat of an unknown, given the other 110+ page thread.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Exactly what I am thinking. Stuff yourself at FFD, take a dump, then shower. A few more champagne and you are ready to sleep through the flight.
Don't forget to shave!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.