Wiki Posts
Search

Erroneous miles expiration date?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
Erroneous miles expiration date?

My account states that miles will be "Expiring on Nov 6, 2022", however I took an award flight on 12/27/21. Why havent the date pushed to +18 months?
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by dsauch
My account states that miles will be "Expiring on Nov 6, 2022", however I took an award flight on 12/27/21. Why havent the date pushed to +18 months?
When did you actually redeem AAdvantage miles to book the flight? The activity is not flying the award flight but redeeming miles to book the flight.

From aa.com:
  • AAdvantageŽ members must have mileage earning or redeeming activity once every 18 months in order to retain their miles. If your account has no qualifying activity in any 18-month period, all miles in the account will expire. Qualifying activity extends the expiration date of all unexpired mileage credit in your account for 18 months from the date of the qualifying activity. Qualifying activity is defined as redeeming any AAdvantageŽ award or accruing mileage credit on any eligible American, American EagleŽ or AAdvantageŽ airline participant as well as accruing mileage credit with participating hotels, car rental companies, credit cards, telecommunication providers and other service providers offering AAdvantageŽ mileage credit. Starting, July 1, 2020, the 18-month activity requirement will not apply to AAdvantage members under age 21. For those members who turned 21 years of age prior to July 1, 2020, the 18-month qualifying activity period will be applied on a pro rata basis. If your account does not include a birth date in the member profile, the account will be subject to the 18-month activity rule.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 8:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA S, Marriott P
ah, makes sense, thanks! Booked in may.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.