a few dollars short for elite level

Old Jan 20, 2022, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aa
a few dollars short for elite level

I have enough flying miles for elite level on American but am $200 short on the spending side. I am not planning to fly anytime soon. Any other way i can spend money that can count towards elite level? Like buying miles or pay for an upgrade for a different person?
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know the answer to your question, but since it relates to the AAdvantage frequent-flyer program, I've alerted a Moderator, and suggested that your thread be moved to the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

Good luck, and welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Jonny Detiger
I have enough flying miles for elite level on American but am $200 short on the spending side. I am not planning to fly anytime soon. Any other way i can spend money that can count towards elite level? Like buying miles or pay for an upgrade for a different person?
Are you looking at status miles earned in 2021 or 2022? AA looks at calendar year statistics to determine status tiers for the following calendar (program) year.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:25 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Moving this to the AA forum.

chgoeditor
co-mod, Info Desk
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jonny Detiger
Short answer: No. Longer answer: It doesn't hurt to ask AA for a goodwill gesture.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I think the easiest would be to spend $200 on a flight if it's important enough for you, and you've got 5 weeks to do it. As poster above stated too, try giving them a call to plead your case too.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I was $275 short of PLT but way over on miles at the end of December 2020. Called AA and asked if there was anyway I could make up the difference other than flying. “No” was the answer I got. PLT was worth it to me so I booked a ticket to nowhere and flew before the end of the year.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
How about the opposite problem? Plenty of EQD but short something like 50 EQM for Platinum (asking for a friend, seriously. I'm done until 2023).
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From your post I gather that you are willing to pay the $200 for the status. Your only option to get the status is to book a flight that earns at least 200 EQD and fly it.

Be careful when booking; taxes and fees (which are included in the all-in pricing that airlines are required to display) do not earn EQD. So if you are looking for a trip that costs as close to $200 as possible, be sure to check the EQD earned before buying. There is another thread started by someone who accidentally ended up 9 EQD short during a promo to extend status last year.

The good news is, any flights you take between now and the end of February will earn you both the EQD you need for your status, and also earn LP for status requalification.
Old Jan 23, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
How about the opposite problem? Plenty of EQD but short something like 50 EQM for Platinum (asking for a friend, seriously. I'm done until 2023).
AA occasionally will overlook a small shortfall for a perceived high-value or long-time FF; sometimes even unasked. But your friend might as well ask while there's still time to take a short flight if the answer is no.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 23, 2022 at 8:18 pm
Old Jan 23, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by vasantn
AA occasionally will overlook a small shortfall for perceived a high-value or long-time FF; sometimes even unasked. But your friend might as well ask while there's still time to take a short flight if the answer is no.
Thanks. She does have a flight planned before the end of February that would the trick, but it's not a given just yet.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.