Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

F/A Union proposes, AA accepts, REDUCED service levels

Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by kellzbellz
With the continued spread of the Omicron variant, APFA has proposed a temporary reduction to onboard service levels and customer touchpoints. Our goal is to maintain the highest level of Flight Attendant and passenger safety as possible onboard the aircraft. These proposed changes lessen the time that a passenger will not be wearing a mask and, in turn, limit Flight Attendant exposure.

APFA proposals include serving entres with salad/soup/appetizers in premium cabins when possible and reducing main cabin beverage services on domestic and IPD flights. We have asked that these reductions in service be implemented immediately.

Stay tuned for updated service guidelines from the company.
LOL, Seriously? This cant be a surprise to anyone. Ive said for almost 2 years that AA is being held hostage by the APFA. Im a former AS union employee of 36 years. I guarantee you that airline unions will not approve any inflight service until COVID is eradicated, which will NEVER happen. It is time to weigh in with your wallet. Find a carrier that will push back on this foolishness. Edit. Where is the AA FA who posts on this site? She seemed to be pretty excited that glassware was back. But refused to discuss the service level cut backs which is BS. Really, glassware?
bchandler02, CLT, cmd320 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Tack; Jan 20, 2022 at 6:32 am
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:28 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by Tack
Ive said for almost 2 years that AA is being held hostage by the APFA. Im a former AS union employee of 36 years. I guarantee you that airline unions will not approve any inflight service until COVID is eradicated, which will NEVER happen.
I tend to agree (my personal politics generally hate all unions, and I'm a half member of SAG-AFTRA.). The big problem right now is staffing issues, if you push any of them to quit then you'd better be able to replace them fast, which isn't happening. Granted, most would stop bluffing and do their job again, but losing even 10 percent could be a big problem for a little while.
Tack likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:30 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'd give up three weeks of tinder membership to fly a CX heavy from dfw-den

Makes me weak in the knees remembering the Pan Am 747 from LAX to SFO, in First Class. (Or, if we are going to be honest, any 747 going anywhere, even Tower Air from LAX-JFK.)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by sbrower
Makes me weak in the knees remembering the Pan Am 747 from LAX to SFO, in First Class. (Or, if we are going to be honest, any 747 going anywhere, even Tower Air from LAX-JFK.)
Not to mention People Express. This is a stock photo but I remember a very nice flight in their first class from LAX to EWR. It's rather pathetic how much service has fallen.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe
Not to mention People Express. This is a stock photo but I remember a very nice flight in their first class from LAX to EWR. It's rather pathetic how much service has fallen.
This was how meals were serve in long haul CX J before SARS
AADFW likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
I tend to agree (my personal politics generally hate all unions, and I'm a half member of SAG-AFTRA.). The big problem right now is staffing issues, if you push any of them to quit then you'd better be able to replace them fast, which isn't happening. Granted, most would stop bluffing and do their job again, but losing even 10 percent could be a big problem for a little while.
Quit? Might be a good thing for both AA and customers. Despite labor shortage its really not that hard for AA to hire flight attendants if not speakers.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by corolla
Quit? Might be a good thing for both AA and customers. Despite labor shortage its really not that hard for AA to hire flight attendants if not speakers.
Why quit if you can be lazy and get paid to travel the world and get away with it. And if you stay and manage not to get fired, eventually you'll get paid and treated even better just for sticking around... tenure is crap.
Dallas49er, DLdweeb, CLT and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:09 pm

I have a better suggestion, since this virus is airborne transmitted and most likely be transmitted by talking to each other, banning all these FAs from chitchatting with each other will most likely stop the spread.

Really dont understand what exactly could be reduced. Barely flying AA for a long time since not close to their hubs now but isnt the stuff already served on one tray on most routes? And are they sure they really served 2nd round beverage in main on routes more than 1400mi before (despite being required to do so)? Even before covid??
CLT likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by corolla
Quit? Might be a good thing for both AA and customers. Despite labor shortage it’s really not that hard for AA to hire flight attendants if not speakers.
I remember reading recently that DL had something like 35k applicants the last time their FA hiring window was briefly open last year. AA would clearly have no issues hiring replacements, but that's really besides the point since they're going to placate and support the current workforce.

-FlyerBeek
Antarius and Tack like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:21 pm

Programs: SkyMiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I remember reading recently that DL had something like 35k applicants the last time their FA hiring window was briefly open last year. AA would clearly have no issues hiring replacements, but that's really besides the point since they're going to placate and support the current workforce.

-FlyerBeek
Delta at least has a method behind their cheapness, appeasing their FA's means keeping a union out just that bit longer.

AA has no such issues nor reason to "appease" their FA's.
AeRoSpaceman and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jcf27
There always alternatives to bad service - fly another airline
Can you change the airline you have on file with AMEX for the $250 credit? I haven't used any of this year's benefit yet
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:20 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium (LT Gold), UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Originally Posted by kellzbellz
With the continued spread of the Omicron variant, APFA has proposed a temporary reduction to onboard service levels and customer touchpoints. Our goal is to maintain the highest level of Flight Attendant and passenger safety as possible onboard the aircraft. These proposed changes lessen the time that a passenger will not be wearing a mask and, in turn, limit Flight Attendant exposure.

APFA proposals include serving entres with salad/soup/appetizers in premium cabins when possible and reducing main cabin beverage services on domestic and IPD flights. We have asked that these reductions in service be implemented immediately.

Stay tuned for updated service guidelines from the company.
Every day my decision to quit AA makes more and more sense. Only 1 flight on AA in all of 2021 and it was one too many.
unitedbusiness and Etheereal like this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Aren't we already experiencing reduced service levels?

Last edited by mvoight; Jan 20, 2022 at 11:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by mvoight
Can you change the airline you have on file with AMEX for the $250 credit? I haven't used any of this year's benefit yet
I think your question is not rhetorical... Yes, provided you haven't used any of the current year's benefit you can always change your selected airline online in January. After January, I think you'll need to call-in to change and it's a bit more YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Soon we may have to start helping ourselves to drinks from the beverage cart... oh wait, nevermind

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.