Earning loyalty points on hotels

Old Mar 10, 22, 7:59 pm

Good deals on actual rdms ?

I have been reading the threads on FT about hotels and LP thru the hotel programs. I can't seem to find any real value in the programs when I look at the cost for RDMS. I have done many searches and comparisons but all have come out at about 1.5 cent per mile. I compare the price to a direct booking with the hotel using the members only , AARP, or AAA rate. Always the same @ 1000 miles for $15 as an example. When I consider the lost points for the hotel direct program and the co- branded credit card bonus it does not make sense. I understand if you are on expenses and use the boost function or you need the LPs to reach a certain level with Advantage but has anyone found certain chains , times , or places that give a good RDMs return ?
Old Mar 10, 22, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by anc305 View Post
I have been reading the threads on FT about hotels and LP thru the hotel programs. I can't seem to find any real value in the programs when I look at the cost for RDMS. I have done many searches and comparisons but all have come out at about 1.5 cent per mile. I compare the price to a direct booking with the hotel using the members only , AARP, or AAA rate. Always the same @ 1000 miles for $15 as an example. When I consider the lost points for the hotel direct program and the co- branded credit card bonus it does not make sense. I understand if you are on expenses and use the boost function or you need the LPs to reach a certain level with Advantage but has anyone found certain chains , times , or places that give a good RDMs return ?
Most are using the hotel bookings for LPs. RDMs at 2 are not a great deal.
craigthemif likes this.
Old Mar 13, 22, 2:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, DL Diamond, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by anc305 View Post
If you are a Globalist or Titanium and hotel status benefits matters to you, it absolutely makes no sense. I saw a poll somewhere about how many AA Exp would use bookaahotels and I was very surprised that 90% of the people said they would never use RM or bookaa because their hotel status really mattered to them. another 10% said they would use it but not on a regular basis.
Old Mar 13, 22, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
If you are a Globalist or Titanium and hotel status benefits matters to you, it absolutely makes no sense. I saw a poll somewhere about how many AA Exp would use bookaahotels and I was very surprised that 90% of the people said they would never use RM or bookaa because their hotel status really mattered to them. another 10% said they would use it but not on a regular basis.
Personally I'm in the camp that thinks that this is generally not a great deal because my globalist status is worth a couple of hundred dollars or more on each stay (plus I need the qualifying nights to keep the status for next year). Giving up benefits + qualifying nights is huge.

Having said that, I find myself with an upcoming 4 night stay in a city with no Hyatts or Hyatt partners. I have some IHG points from forever ago that somehow have not expired so I'll try to burn them but if that doesn't work I'll probably turn to bookAAhotels or rocketMiles.

Do the current data points indicate that paying a higher rate for more miles ("pay more, earn more") always posts as base miles, but "boost" at checkout posts as base from bookAAhotels and bonus from rocketMiles?
Old Mar 13, 22, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Personally I'm in the camp that thinks that this is generally not a great deal because my globalist status is worth a couple of hundred dollars or more on each stay (plus I need the qualifying nights to keep the status for next year). Giving up benefits + qualifying nights is huge.

Having said that, I find myself with an upcoming 4 night stay in a city with no Hyatts or Hyatt partners. I have some IHG points from forever ago that somehow have not expired so I'll try to burn them but if that doesn't work I'll probably turn to bookAAhotels or rocketMiles.

Do the current data points indicate that paying a higher rate for more miles ("pay more, earn more") always posts as base miles, but "boost" at checkout posts as base from bookAAhotels and bonus from rocketMiles?
There is no "pay more to earn more" on RM. Just the "boost".

So far, since March 1, we have had one report of BookAAHotels "pay more to earn more" miles posting as base, and one report of RM "boost" miles posting as bonus.

I should have more first hand experiences from BookAAHotels to report in the next few days.
Old Mar 13, 22, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Discoverist; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jediwho View Post
This doesn't surprise me at all, as, at least for me, hotel status and free nights, etc. are more important than airline status, free upgrades. I wasn't flying at all for well over a year into the pandemic, and local/driveable hotel stays were valuable, while airline status and miles were worthless. After several nice staycations downtown, I value hotel points much higher than any airline miles.

--woodstock
Old Apr 9, 22, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SW A-List
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
There is no "pay more to earn more" on RM. Just the "boost".

So far, since March 1, we have had one report of BookAAHotels "pay more to earn more" miles posting as base, and one report of RM "boost" miles posting as bonus.

I should have more first hand experiences from BookAAHotels to report in the next few days.
Any updates? Still looking for more DP's on the boost miles giving LP's as well.
Old Apr 9, 22, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LeastP View Post
Any updates? Still looking for more DP's on the boost miles giving LP's as well.
A boatload of info here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ability-5.html
skipaway and LeastP like this.
Old Apr 13, 22, 10:00 pm

Programs: EXP LTPlat
Lability of BAAH.com

Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
Thanks for this link, it answered a lot of questions I had. Maybe not clearly how the RM boost miles post yet, lol.

I have noticed that the Rocket Miles site associated with AAdvantage presents ONLY hotels that offer miles for booking. The AA site offers a plethora of hotels, only a few of which offer miles/points for booking. They do however post the number that offer miles at the top of the list, so you can count to be sure you don't miss any. I wonder what algorithm they use to assign the number of miles offered and which hotels have the offers that day. It vacillates astonishingly! I booked a hotel in Medellin through Rocket Miles. I decided to choose a different hotel. BAAH.com, which had had 15 hotels in the city with mileage offers had only 3 (and for a short time zero) when I went to rebook. I decided to wait and follow along. Sure enough yesterday morning BAAH.com was back in business with a 10,000 mile offer on both the hotels I was considering. So I went into my RM account to see what I'd been charged and they popped up an offer "We've found you a better rate with more miles". So, a long story, but the take away is if you have time it might pay to check back to see if a more lucrative offer has appeared. If you like it, book it (refundable), rinse, repeat.
Old Apr 14, 22, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skipaway View Post
Thanks for this link, it answered a lot of questions I had. Maybe not clearly how the RM boost miles post yet, lol.

I have noticed that the Rocket Miles site associated with AAdvantage presents ONLY hotels that offer miles for booking. The AA site offers a plethora of hotels, only a few of which offer miles/points for booking. They do however post the number that offer miles at the top of the list, so you can count to be sure you don't miss any. I wonder what algorithm they use to assign the number of miles offered and which hotels have the offers that day. It vacillates astonishingly! I booked a hotel in Medellin through Rocket Miles. I decided to choose a different hotel. BAAH.com, which had had 15 hotels in the city with mileage offers had only 3 (and for a short time zero) when I went to rebook. I decided to wait and follow along. Sure enough yesterday morning BAAH.com was back in business with a 10,000 mile offer on both the hotels I was considering. So I went into my RM account to see what I'd been charged and they popped up an offer "We've found you a better rate with more miles". So, a long story, but the take away is if you have time it might pay to check back to see if a more lucrative offer has appeared. If you like it, book it (refundable), rinse, repeat.
Yup, it can change by the minute.
Old Apr 14, 22, 3:56 pm

Ok so despite not thinking that this was a very good deal initially, I'm going to be in Helsinki for 4 nights in the summer.

I'm a Hyatt globalist but there are no Hyatts or SLHs (Hotel Haven left SLH) in all of Finland, never mind Helsinki.

I have some IHG points but rates are shockingly low in Helsinki this summer, making award redemptions pretty bad.

I have an Amex FHR / Hotel Collection credit ($200) but there were only 2 options and they were overpriced and no better than the other hotels in the area.

So... on to plan D... bookAAhotels or rocketmiles.

The bookAAhotels rate, RM rate, and the IHG website rate for the hotel I chose were all the same ($120/night). I was getting 4000 miles for the 4 night stay, and paid for both "pay more to get more" and "boost". So, 4 nights and 20k miles for $854 ($200/night + taxes and fees).

The email confirmation shows 4000 "base" miles + 16000 "promo" miles. This makes me nervous as hell. "Promo" is too close to "bonus" for my liking, and "base" is generally what earns LP, and I don't want to pay 2c per mile for just RDM (especially since I already have over 600k, and maintaining EXP every year might have me collecting them faster than I can burn them).

I understand that people have reported that the whole thing has posted as LP, as recently as last month. But July is far away. My booking is refundable until a week before I check in (the non-refundable rate for the same room and same miles earned was more expensive... go figure). I'm thinking of booking a backup (refundable) stay at a different hotel (to lock in these low rates) in case these promo miles start posting as bonus and I want to cancel.

PLEASE everyone, keep posting your data points here.

Also, one final question -- any chance this stay will earn IHG points? Even if the rate doesn't, what if I charge something to my folio (like a drink at the hotel bar or something from the mini bar)? I want some activity to keep my IHG points alive.
Old Apr 14, 22, 4:21 pm

Ok so despite not thinking that this was a very good deal initially, I'm going to be in Helsinki for 4 nights in the summer.

I'm a Hyatt globalist but there are no Hyatts or SLHs (Hotel Haven left SLH) in all of Finland, never mind Helsinki.

I have some IHG points but rates are shockingly low in Helsinki this summer, making award redemptions pretty bad.

I have an Amex FHR / Hotel Collection credit ($200) but there were only 2 options and they were overpriced and no better than the other hotels in the area.

So... on to plan D... bookAAhotels or rocketmiles.

The bookAAhotels rate, RM rate, and the IHG website rate for the hotel I chose were all the same ($120/night). I was getting 4000 miles for the 4 night stay, and paid for both "pay more to get more" and "boost". So, 4 nights and 20k miles for $854 ($200/night + taxes and fees).

The email confirmation shows 4000 "base" miles + 16000 "promo" miles. This makes me nervous as hell. "Promo" is too close to "bonus" for my liking, and "base" is generally what earns LP, and I don't want to pay 2c per mile for just RDM (especially since I already have over 600k, and maintaining EXP every year might have me collecting them faster than I can burn them).

I understand that people have reported that the whole thing has posted as LP, as recently as last month. But July is far away. My booking is refundable until a week before I check in (the non-refundable rate for the same room and same miles earned was more expensive... go figure). I'm thinking of booking a backup (refundable) stay at a different hotel (to lock in these low rates) in case these promo miles start posting as bonus and I want to cancel.

PLEASE everyone, keep posting your data points here.

Also, one final question -- any chance this stay will earn IHG points? Even if the rate doesn't, what if I charge something to my folio (like a drink at the hotel bar or something from the mini bar)? I want some activity to keep my IHG points alive.
Stick with BookAAH over Rocketmiles. I had an April stay last week, and used both the pay more + boost (bonus miles) and everything including the boost posted as LP within 4 days.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Apr 14, 22, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY View Post
Stick with BookAAH over Rocketmiles. I had an April stay last week, and used both the pay more + boost (bonus miles) and everything including the boost posted as LP within 4 days.
I did. I'm just hoping the that's still the case in July.
Old Apr 14, 22, 5:16 pm

I did. I'm just hoping the that's still the case in July.
I think you'll be okay, my logic being that the LPs are backdated to when you made your reservation and since you are making your reservation now while everyone else is getting LPs, at the very least you have a good case to argue with them that you're owed LP since those were the terms at the date of purchase.
Old Apr 14, 22, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, the confirmation emails have always shown the breakout that way, since January.
njvandy and LovePrunes like this.

Search this Thread