Wiki Posts
Search

Earning loyalty points on hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Any idea if you can do this in Vegas? You presumably wouldn't pay the resort fee as a no-show, so could come close to the realms of a worthwhile mattress run...
No idea, sorry.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So another 22K "base miles" (and hopefully LPs) posted to AA today from BookAAHotels.

This is the third such batch that I have been credited with, bringing the total to 40K. Interestingly, while they are posting 3-4 days after the checkout date, they are being back-dated to the date of the actual hotel bookings, when the credit card was charged (you pay at time of booking even on cancellable bookings). This could have implications for year-end mattress runs.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
So another 22K "base miles" (and hopefully LPs) posted to AA today from BookAAHotels.

This is the third such batch that I have been credited with, bringing the total to 40K. Interestingly, while they are posting 3-4 days after the checkout date, they are being back-dated to the date of the actual hotel bookings, when the credit card was charged (you pay at time of booking even on cancellable bookings). This could have implications for year-end mattress runs.
Based on your experience that you posted, of the pay more get more posting as base, I canceled a refundable cheaper stay for a pay more get more rate for double the miles, 10k. Thanks for your reports.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:55 am

What cities / hotels are you finding the best $ / miles ratio?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wwrjb
What cities / hotels are you finding the best $ / miles ratio?
I haven't really done that kind of analysis. I don't even know if it's possible; it seems totally random and can change from day to day.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 10:58 am
Suspended

how well does this work with super expensive hotels?
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bakrgby
It's not all that relevant. It's more about how much extra AAHotels can charge versus just booking direct or via booking.com (with no miles)

Of course a $400 hotel room selling for $450 via AA has more absolute profit to pay for more miles, versus a $100 hotel room selling for $115.

But you are absolutely not going to want to mattress run expensive hotels.
vasantn likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bakrgby
I think there is a max of 10k miles/night (not including boosts) so once the hotel gets expensive the miles to price ratio is going to become unattractive.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 12:35 pm

Can anyone confirm if the Rocketmiles "pay more to get more miles" is posting as bonus or base miles? If the extra miles don't count toward LP then there's no value proposition since it'd be cheaper to simply buy miles through AA.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Can anyone confirm if the Rocketmiles "pay more to get more miles" is posting as bonus or base miles?
It's been confirmed several times (even in this thread) that they post as base miles.
If the extra miles don't count toward LP then there's no value proposition since it'd be cheaper to simply buy miles through AA.
Not so. AA is now charging 3.5˘/mile. The hotel promo miles cost about 2˘/mile.
FlyingFromNY likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
It's been confirmed several times (even in this thread) that they post as base miles.
Not so. AA is now charging 3.5˘/mile. The hotel promo miles cost about 2˘/mile.
​​​​​​​I appreciate your information and response but just to add a data point, the hotel promo miles that I've been seeing in NY cost 3 cents/mile so the cost of the miles likely vary by market and hotel.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

​​​​​​​I appreciate your information and response but just to add a data point, the hotel promo miles that I've been seeing in NY cost 3 cents/mile so the cost of the miles likely vary by market and hotel.
In every case that I've seen (about half a dozen), the cost of the extra miles is almost exactly 2˘/mile. But of course I haven't looked at every possible hotel booking.

I just picked one completely at random (HIE in Wichita, KS for March):

As you can see, the incremental cost is $81 for 4K miles.

[Edited to add:] I just noticed that you were referring to New York. I checked Manhattan and found exactly the same thing: $81 for 4K miles.

[Further edited to add:] BTW, you can buy an additional chunk of miles (and hopefully LPs) at 2˘ by choosing the "Boost" option at checkout with BookAAHotels. RocketMiles doesn't provide this last option.

Last edited by vasantn; Feb 4, 2022 at 4:31 pm
Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Does a business traveler get an expansible folio upon checkout from a hotel when using Rocketmiles or AAHotels? I'm guessing these are prepaid, negotiated rates that the hotel would not disclose.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by edsh
Does a business traveler get an expansible folio upon checkout from a hotel when using Rocketmiles or AAHotels? I'm guessing these are prepaid, negotiated rates that the hotel would not disclose.
No - the prepaid negotiated rates would not appear on your hotel folio for the reasons you note.

On bookaahotels, there is a link "View a business-friendly, sample receipt" next to the "Boost your miles?" choice, but I get an error whenever I click it. So, they presumably give you a receipt that they hope you can submit on your expense report.
edsh likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some disturbing news here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34019888-post234.html
sexykitten7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.