Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Re-enter US on AA with proof of recovery (consolidated threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2022, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I flew home from CDG last month with proof of recovery. It wasn't an option via Verifly, so I just brought the Positive Test Result and Proof of Recovery (signed Doctor's letter) per the CDC to the check in desk. They had me fill out an attestation form (stating my recovery within 90 days) and was all checked in within 5 minutes.
Originally Posted by Jordanielle
Verifly informed us that the proof of recovery option is not available to upload on AA yet. As such using the app for that airline in that situation is not an option I was told. We are required to check in and provide documents at airport
Thanks.

I also asked the check in agent in LHR about it and they looked at my docs and said they'd suffice, albeit needing to be inspected in person.

Fortunately, I tested negative the night before and just used that to Verifly and check in. Which helped as the M4 was closed and turned a routine drive into a mess.
MsAnnMcD likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:02 pm
pH

Programs: AA EXP
AA Requirements for "Documentation of Recovery?"

Hi all,

I recently had COVID and am trying to cover all my bases before an upcoming trip back to the US. The CDC allows for "documentation of recovery" within the last 90 days and want to have a backup in case my 24-hr antigen test comes back positive. It would be ~3 weeks after I first tested positive so I know it unlikely but I am a planner!

My question is, does AA have separate (or more stringent) requirements above and beyond the CDC for this documentation? I cannot find it within Sherpa or the AA site. The medical provider I am using states some airlines require the recovery letter to be issued only 24-72 hours before departure. Does AA have such a rule? I am trying to get the letter earlier than that.

Any experiences with using documentation of recovery with AA, or their requirements, are very welcome!

(Note: I tried searching within the forum but did not see this elsewhere so apologies if I missed it!)
Old Feb 14, 2022, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
This what the CDC tells airlines is required for documentation of recovery, in addition to the positive viral test within 90 days of travel (that identifies the person with name and either date of birth/age/passport #, who was positive and where the test was performed):

"SIGNED LETTER: Must also have a signed letter stating the passenger is cleared for travel.
• From a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official
• Must be signed and on official letterhead that shows the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official
• Does not need to specify dates of travel"

That's it. I have not heard of an airline requiring that the letter be dated within 3 days of travel. An American obtaining such a letter prior to departure for an international trip would, for many trips, be ineligible then to use that letter for their re-entry to the U.S.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:05 pm
pH

Originally Posted by gleff
That's it. I have not heard of an airline requiring that the letter be dated within 3 days of travel. An American obtaining such a letter prior to departure for an international trip would, for many trips, be ineligible then to use that letter for their re-entry to the U.S.
Thank you, Gary! Can you give a little more context on the last part...why it would be ineligible if it was obtained before departure? (If no test is required for the international trip and was outside the isolation period/AA rules on exposure)

Thank you again for your expertise!
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Same question. The date of the letter doesn't indicate on which day symptoms and contagion ceased. It just states that the person has recovered and is clear to travel (or work).
Old Feb 14, 2022, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
AA has no additional requirements outside of the CDC requirements, or at least none that they published. I flew back from France in late December with a letter of recovery. The pre-check in questioner I met before I checked in really didn't seem to know the rules for the recovery letter (he thought proof of recovery was good for 6 months, while it's just good for 3 months). He went over all my paperwork (signed doctor letter, positive test) and then said he needed to confirm with a collogue it was all good. Him and the colleague determined it was, he had me fill out a 1-page attestation, and that was it.

I had just under 100% confidence that AA would be satisfied with my paperwork, so I got there extra early. Turns out I was cleared and checked in in no time and had a ton of time to relax in the newly reopened AC.
pH likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
AA - VeriFLY - Proof of Recovery

AA won't let me check in unless I do the VeriFLY app to return to the USA. I was planning to use a proof of recovery letter from my doctor from having COVID over New Years... but there's no option in the app for this letter? Anyone have experience?
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
There's no reason a manual check won't work
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Originally Posted by enviroian
There's no reason a manual check won't work
Thanks, because I was in Colombia and had already been robbed once, almost robbed a second time, ready to come home, and my Hyatt offered testing for only $35 USD... I went ahead and got tested and came back Negative and just went this route.
However, I wished I had tried your method. But it doesn't make sense... I have to check a box attesting to being Negative, AND I have to tell them WHAT in my manual upload the test shows... which kind of test etc. Absolutely none of the checkboxes or attestations have anything to do with a letter of recovery proof. I wish I tried it, for science, and I would have if I were in say, London and the hotel wanted over $100 to test me. But, alas.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
AA won't let me check in unless I do the VeriFLY app to return to the USA. I was planning to use a proof of recovery letter from my doctor from having COVID over New Years... but there's no option in the app for this letter? Anyone have experience?
Unfortunately proof of recovery is not yet an option with VeriFly, you have to check in in person at the airport and sign an attestation and present your proof of recovery. Pretty simple process although it'd be better if VeriFly did allow for it.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:14 pm

This what the CDC tells airlines is required for documentation of recovery, in addition to the positive viral test within 90 days of travel (that identifies the person with name and either date of birth/age/passport #, who was positive and where the test was performed):

"SIGNED LETTER: Must also have a signed letter stating the passenger is cleared for travel.
• From a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official
• Must be signed and on official letterhead that shows the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official
• Does not need to specify dates of travel"

Originally Posted by pH
Thank you, Gary! Can you give a little more context on the last part...why it would be ineligible if it was obtained before departure? (If no test is required for the international trip and was outside the isolation period/AA rules on exposure)

Thank you again for your expertise!
It's not. Gary is wrong. I don't know why he added that section, which is obviously not in the CDC.

I presume most PCPs would do this for you, so it should be free.
FYI most doctors won't use the term "clear for travel" because "clear" to a doctor means something different (like "cleared for surgery", or "fit"). "Clear to re-enter society" or to stop isolation might be an easier sell. It doesn't actually have to say "clear for travel" anyway.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I think there's some misreading of what I wrote. I said the CDC does not require the letter to be dated within 3 days of travel. And then what I added was why such a rule would be problematic if it existed.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:19 pm

I think there's some misreading of what I wrote. I said the CDC does not require the letter to be dated within 3 days of travel. And then what I added was why such a rule would be problematic if it existed.
Sorry, I do see how the poster misinterpreted what you wrote.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: EK Plat, EY Gold, CX Gold, BA Silver, Carlson Gold, Accor Plat, HH Diamond
NHS COVID Cert

Hello all. Does anyone know if American Airlines accept proof of recovery via an email of the positive test result and the NHS COVID Certificate? I keep reading about needing a signed letter from a licensed health care provider that states cleared for travel.

Is that the same thing as the NHS COVID Cert??

Travel is DUB-MCO. Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2022, 8:26 am

Programs: EK Plat, EY Gold, CX Gold, BA Silver, Carlson Gold, Accor Plat, HH Diamond
Entry requirements

Hello all. Does anyone know if American Airlines accept proof of recovery via an email of the positive test result and the NHS COVID Certificate? I keep reading about needing a signed letter from a licensed health care provider that states cleared for travel.

Is that the same thing as the NHS COVID Cert??

Travel is DUB-MCO. Cheers.

Edit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.