Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Old Jan 27, 22, 11:34 am
  #31  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 657
I'm probably being stupid, but is there a way to filter on AAhotels(booking.com) so it shows me properties that offer AA miles only?
puchalskir is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 12:05 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Programs: Southwest A-List
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
I'm probably being stupid, but is there a way to filter on AAhotels(booking.com) so it shows me properties that offer AA miles only?
For me it shows all the eligible properties toward the top. There generally aren't more than 5-10 for the searches I do, so I generally find that to be sufficient.
LovePrunes likes this.
FrankMorris is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:00 pm
  #33  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 657
If I look at Rome, Italy, there may be three in the first 25 and one in the next 25 and so on. Quite frustrating, sometimes they are not all at the top either.
puchalskir is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 1:03 pm
  #34  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Programs: Southwest A-List
Posts: 330
Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
If I look at Rome, Italy, there may be three in the first 25 and one in the next 25 and so on. Quite frustrating, sometimes they are not all at the top either.
Oh interesting I have noticed that thanks for the heads up
FrankMorris is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 2:00 pm
  #35  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: SLC, PHX
Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, BA Silver, NH Platinum
Posts: 55
For bookaahotels.com, the maximum miles one can earn are 10k miles regardless of length of stay? Saw hotel offering 7k miles for 1 day but only 10k miles for 2+ days?
JFKEWR is offline  
Old Jan 27, 22, 3:09 pm
  #36  
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: AA EP
Posts: 47
Its a 10K per night cap and Ive seen that different lengths of stay at the same hotel dont always have the same earn rate per night (i.e., a 1 night stay might be 5K miles, a 2 night stay might be 6K, 3 night stay might be 24K, etc). I think it really depends on the hotel and their revenue management strategy.
chitown85 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 22, 9:22 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Posts: 3,363
Just started booking on RocketMiles....bookaa doesnt allow different name on reservation (I make a TON of reservations for my team with my card) but Rocketmiles does!!!

Is there a maximum annual LP earnings from them? (I thought i saw something, but cant find it now)

A few thoughts
1-of 3 recent reservations, 2 were LESS than marriott.com!!!
2-ability to make rooms in others names is awesome (I have 50+ hotel.com free rooms..time to branch out...)
3-RM is definitely much easier to use
4-still kinda difficult to search miles only hotels...

Good luck all!
PhillyPhlyer40 is offline  
Old Mar 5, 22, 10:29 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Posts: 1,363
Are either of these things really that lucrative given that you don't get status with the hotel?

I guess it's a tradeoff between lounge/upgrades and LP.

Maybe it makes sense if you're staying at basic properties with no upgrade possiblity and you already maxed out your elite night requirements
no2chem is offline  
Old Mar 5, 22, 1:51 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LAX/PHL
Posts: 160
Originally Posted by no2chem View Post
Are either of these things really that lucrative given that you don't get status with the hotel?

I guess it's a tradeoff between lounge/upgrades and LP.

Maybe it makes sense if you're staying at basic properties with no upgrade possiblity and you already maxed out your elite night requirements
It makes sense for me since I don't have enough spend to get high tier status on both airline and hotel so I pick what I want which is AA LP. I'm currently PPRO and likely continue to be unless I play some LP games to get me to EXP. While I do spend 30-40 nights annually at hotels, they're in very small and rural towns so a Holiday Inn is typically the best hotel in a significant radius so I don't particularly care if I get upgrades there, especially since I only spend time there to shower, shave, sh*t and sleep only. If I did care about hotel upgrades, I'd probably stick with PPRO and use the rest for hotel status, and wouldn't use bookaa or RM.
LovePrunes likes this.
Raralith is offline  
Old Mar 6, 22, 8:36 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: PWM
Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
Posts: 1,171
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Just started booking on RocketMiles....bookaa doesnt allow different name on reservation (I make a TON of reservations for my team with my card) but Rocketmiles does!!!
I would be careful here. Is booking for others explicitly permitted? AA has shutdown the accounts of people who "book" car rentals for others.
sexykitten7 is offline  
Old Mar 6, 22, 12:44 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Programs: AA PPro, DL Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 540
I booked a upcoming stay this month on bookaahotels and selected both the initial posts boost on the room selection page and the checkout boost. So I will gladly report back how it goes.

Difference was between 7,000LP, 11,000LP, or 15,000LP. That is half way back to Gold on just one hotel stay, pretty lucrative if it all comes through.

Even if I blew $162 extra dollars on the boosts, 15,000 RDM can get a decent first class web special booking so while I wouldn't buy points at .02 normally, I decided it was worth the experiment.
HiAperture is offline  
Old Mar 6, 22, 11:44 pm
  #42  
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: PHF/RIC
Programs: AA EXP., UA Silver, Marriott Ti/LT Gold, Sixt P. National EXE
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by vasantn View Post
So I think I have this figured out.
So BookAAHotels is definitely better for buying extra LPs. RocketMiles is far better in terms of the interface and their customer service has been exceptional, but you can't buy extra LPs. I have not had an occasion to use the BookAAHotels customer service yet but since it's an offshoot of booking.com, I'm betting that it's not extraordinary.
I had to cancel a non-refundable hotel reservation because my flight got cancelled, they told me it was non-refundable and they couldn't do anything about it. After explaining to them that it was AA's fault for cancelling my flight (broken airplane), thus AA should refund me on this reservation, he reluctantly agreed and gave me a full refund.

So....decent I guess?
greekfreak is offline  
Old Mar 7, 22, 5:03 am
  #43  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 32,916
Originally Posted by greekfreak View Post
I had to cancel a non-refundable hotel reservation because my flight got cancelled, they told me it was non-refundable and they couldn't do anything about it. After explaining to them that it was AA's fault for cancelling my flight (broken airplane), thus AA should refund me on this reservation, he reluctantly agreed and gave me a full refund.

So....decent I guess?
I've had good luck with refunds from BookAAHotels as well. One was cancelled without penalty and on the other I paid a $25 fee which was very fair.
vasantn is offline  
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:14 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,674
Another data point: I Just got my 10k LPs posted for a stay from BookAAHotels. I chose the "pay more $, get more miles" rate for my room type, but I did NOT choose the "get even more miles" at checkout.
Everything posted as base miles, no bonus miles whatsoever. Price difference was about $30 for what I recall was 2,000 extra miles per night for 2 nights, so about $0.015 per LP as others have reported.
I actually needed to stay near this hotel for a conference anyway, and my usual status hotels for Hilton/Marriott were already full and well above the rate I got. I gladly forfeited top-tier benefits at a higher price for my 10k LPs, which is probably exactly what AA intended, to move spending to their partners in exchange for LPs when I modify my behavior.
Everything posted as one line item "Promotion Bonus", not two separate line items when showing up on AA.com and clicking into details for the LP posting.

I bought a non refundable rate, and got the 10k of award miles backdated to the date of hotel purchase. I got a separate deposit of 10k LPs in March with the current date . So one stay showed up as 3 postings, all base LPs and RDMs. The award miles posted as 2 separate deposits: one for the basic RDM earnings, and then another RDM deposit for the "buy more pay more" rate, also as base miles. The LP deposit is listed as "Promotion Bonus." All in all, 3 separate transactions posted all at once today, but 2 were backdated (RDM)
nk15 and zip10001 like this.

Last edited by LovePrunes; Mar 8, 22 at 8:26 am
LovePrunes is offline  
Old Mar 8, 22, 8:26 am
  #45  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: NYC
Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Posts: 32,916
Originally Posted by LovePrunes View Post
Another data point: I Just got my 10k LPs posted for a stay from BookAAHotels. I chose the "pay more $, get more miles" rate for my room type, but I did NOT choose the "get even more miles" at checkout.
Everything posted as base miles, no bonus miles whatsoever. Price difference was about $30 for what I recall was 2,000 extra miles per night for 2 nights, so about $0.015 per LP as others have reported.
I actually needed to stay near this hotel for a conference anyway, and my usual status hotels for Hilton/Marriott were already full and well above the rate I got. I gladly forfeited top-tier benefits at a higher price for my 10k LPs, which is probably exactly what AA intended, to move spending to their partners in exchange for LPs when I modify my behavior.
Everything posted as one line item "Promotion Bonus", not two separate line items when showing up on AA.com and clicking into details for the LP posting.

I bought a non refundable rate, and got the 10k of award miles backdated to the date of hotel purchase. I got a separate deposit of 10k LPs in March with the current date . So one stay showed up as 3 postings, all base LPs and RDMs. The award miles posted as 2 separate deposits: one for the basic RDM earnings, and then another RDM deposit for the "buy more pay more" rate, also as base miles. The LP deposit is listed as "Promotion Bonus."
Excellent news. I should have some miles posting tomorrow and then a much larger chunk posting next week. That includes checkout boosts as well. Let's see what happens.
vasantn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread