Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Old Feb 12, 2023, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
Welcome to the Rocketmiles/AAdvantage Hotels (née BookAAHotels) Official Thread & Wiki!
reflecting July 2023 program changes

AAdvantage Hotels Customer Support phone # (844) 801-6778 and email is [email protected]

Posting times per the AA Hotels Platform FAQ: "Rewards typically post between 3-4 weeks after your stay is completed with the transaction date reflecting your check-in date. If booked through one of our suppliers that provide “Pay Later” rates (pay upon check-in), the rewards typically post within 4 – 6 weeks after your stay is completed."

Posting times per FT user experience: Varies greatly, and cyclically through the year, between several days to 6 weeks after checkout. Within 2 weeks after checkout is arguably "average" but YMMV greatly. Notwithstanding whatever wait you might have, the points will eventually post.

0. Why should I use RocketMiles over AAdvantage Hotels?
You shouldn't. There are no advantages to doing so unless you truly have no superior booking option. AAdvantage Hotels, now being on the same platform, is strictly better if your goal is AA LPs or AA RDM. (Note: RocketMiles, the engine for AAdvantage Hotels, is owned by Booking Holdings: https://about.rocketmiles.com/how-it-works who also owns Priceline, Agoda, Kayak, etc.)

1. Do base miles earned on AAdvantage Hotels count towards Loyalty Point earnings/status?
Yes - but any boost miles (miles purchased during checkout) only count as redeemable miles.

2. How can I maximize my AA earnings?

a. via AAHotels Customers who have AAdvantage elite status, and/or have any AA co-branded credit card earn significantly more LPs/RDMs per reservation. Customers who have either AA status OR an AA credit card will earn up to 5x more LPs/RDMs than the normal rate, while customers who have both AA status AND an AA credit card will earn up to 10x LPs/RDMs more than the normal rate (up to 15,000 LP max). The extra LP/RDM earnings for being an AA card holder apply whether or not you charge the reservation to your AA credit card. The total LPs/RDMs to be earned through AAHotels are reflected on your reservation and post to AA.com after your hotel stay, see questions 6 and 7 below.

b. via AA Loyalty Point Rewards Purchases made via AAHotels (and other "select partners") benefit from "Loyalty Point Reward" bonuses given to AAdvantage Members who reach certain LP thresholds (20% bonus for 6 months after achieving 60k LP; 30% for 6 months after achieving 100k LP). Further information on LP Reward bonuses here and on this FT thread. LP Reward bonuses do not generate additional RDMs. LP Reward bonuses will be added automatically to your total LP earnings when your hotel stay posts to AA.com, see questions 6 and 7 below.

c. via AA co-branded credit card You will also earn 1 LP and (generally) 1 RDM for every dollar charged to an AA credit card, as you would for any purchase. AA Hotels stays are not considered “eligible AA purchases” for purposes of increased miles earnings on AA credit cards. However, holders of the Citi AA Executive Mastercard will earn an additional 9x RDM per dollar spent on AAHotels (for a total of 10 RDM per dollar). LPs and RDMs earned by credit card spend, including the 9x bonus RDMs earned by Executive cardolders, will post to AA.com after statement closing.
2a. If I'm approved for an AA credit card, how long will it take for my "AA Cardholder" status to be updated on the Book AA Hotels website?
YMMV. Reports here have varied from 1 day to several weeks. Citi appears to be faster than Barclay's.

3. What is the max LPs for a booking?
You can earn up to 15,000 LPs max per booking. During the checkout process you will be offered an opportunity purchase additional miles (aka "boost"), but boost miles only add RDM to your earnings, not LPs.

4. What hotels earn miles?
Since July 2023, all hotels on AAdvantage Hotels earn miles. The total will be listed on the search page and you can sort results to find the highest earning hotel for your particular journey parameters.

5. Can I earn miles booking for someone else?
Since July 2023, the booking name must match the name of the AAdvantage account attached to the AAdvantage Hotel account to earn miles. This is further specified in the T&C.

6. Are points awarded based on check-in or check-out date?
Check-in date.

7. How quickly do points post?
Expect points to post approximately 2 weeks after check-out. If points have not posted within a month, contact AAdvantage Hotels customer support.

8. I'm having an issue with my booking. Who should I contact?
If it is an issue regarding the property directly, contact the hotel you've booked with. If the issue is with points or booking, contact AAdvantage Hotels/Booking.com. If a bonus earning has not been properly applied, contact AAdvantage Customer Service. If an issue requires escalation, contact Booking.com through the following channel: [email protected].

9. Will I earn hotel points or get hotel elite benefits in my hotel loyalty program if I book thru Rocketmiles/AAdvantage Hotels?
Unlikely, but occasionally people have posted they got elite benefits or a mistaken hotel credit. Since a hotel room booked thru RM/AA hotels is a 3rd party booking, most hotel stay programs exclude giving any credits or benefit for stays booked thru methods like this. Expect to earn nothing and get no benefits. Anything extra is a nice surprise. You can ask the hotel to add your hotel membership number to your reservation at some point such as before your stay or in person once you arrive, but be prepared for a firm "No."

WARNING: ALL INFORMATION FROM THIS POINT FORWARD REFLECTS THE PROGRAM AS IT EXISTED AS OF 7/13/23. THIS INFORMATION IS HERE PURELY FOR THOSE WITH EXISTING BOOKINGS. IF YOU HAVE QUERIES ABOUT THE CURRENT PROGRAM, PLEASE SCROLL UP.

This Wiki will be built out over time. To begin, we are going to cover a list of the most frequently asked questions in this thread. Over time, we expect to add to this guide with official information from Booking and/or AA, as well as guides on how to best optimise your earning on these wonderful platforms.

1a. Do the points earned on RM/BAAH count towards my annual qualification as Loyalty Points (LPs)?
Yes - the points earned for your booking, as well as the paid multiplier points, are both referred to (and post as) "base miles". This means they count towards your annual status progression.

1b. Which hotels on RM/BAAH earn Loyalty Points?
For RocketMiles, this is easy: once you have selected AA as your frequent flyer program, all hotels that show up in the search results will earn LPs.
The BookAAHotels interface is more complicated -- some hotels that show up in the search results will not earn LPs. LP-earning hotels will have a banner in the search results saying "Earn XX,XXX Base Miles"; no banner means no LPs. Also, before checking out make sure that the "Price Summary" states how many Base Miles (LPs) will be earned after your stay. If no base mile earnings are indicated, you may have
accidentally toggled over to the regular Booking.com site, where you will not earn LPs.

2. Do points post quickly after check out?
Forum Experience: For pre-paid stays, reported posting times have varied between several days after checkout and several weeks. Post-paid stays can take up to 8 weeks to post, as their posting is dependent on communication between the hotel and Booking.com/RM/BAAH.
What BAAH and RM say: For BAAH --
"3-4 weeks". For RM -- "typically within 2 weeks after your stay is completed"" or 6-8 weeks if made through Booking.com

3. For what date will the points for a hotel stay count? If I need points by Feb 28, when should I stay at a hotel?
Forum Experience: As of February 2023, RocketMiles.com appears to post stays on AA as the date of check-out. BookAAHotels, however, appears to post stays as of the date of check-in. So if one is looking to lock in miles for February to count for the qualification period, ensure that your check-out is before the 28th of February and that your stay is pre-paid. This way you are assured of your points posting, regardless of platform, and counting towards qualification before your status drops after March ends.
Per AA.com: "Purchases made with your AAdvantage® credit card will count based on the date the activity posts to your AAdvantage® account. All other flight and partner transactions will count based on the activity date of the flight or other transaction." (emphasis added). See Aadvantage FAQs linked
here

4. I cannot check-out on RocketMiles - help!
First of all, this isn't a question. Second of all, don't fret. There are at least two class of processing problems known on the RM platform. To solve the majority of them, follow these diagnostic pathways:

0. Clear your cache, disable ....... and JS-script blocking software, and turn off your VPN.
1. Try again with the desired credit card but don’t fill out any of the optional information on the address section, only what’s required.
There is a known system with how they handle this info.
1a. Do as above but use your full zip code (this means the 5 required digits and the trailing 4 digits). You can look up your full ZIP here.
2. Push it all the way to the dev team by contacting support via phone. The agent will put you on hold while they reset part of their system.
3. Use another card and keep trying the first card on subsequent purchases until it works again.

If none of the above work, your problem may be related to your account/card being blocked by Booking.com.
To alleviate this, contact [email protected]

While this may not work to correct checkout issues on both sites, you should at least now be able to use RM.

5. My stays haven't posted and it has been well past one week (for pre-paids) or eight weeks (for post-paids)!
Call the phone number for RM/BAAH and ask for a manager who can change the status on your stays to “approved”. Every legitimate stay should then be caught in the next cycle. You may receive duplicate emails about previous stays which already posted; sadly, you will not get double miles but this is a positive sign that your oustanding stays have been successfully processed.

6. How many cents per mile is a good rate?
Ultimately this is up to you. However, at the moment, it appears that RM/BAAH have a floor on their miles at around 2.15 cents per mile. The general consensus on FT seems to be that if you can secure a hotel at 2.5 cents per mile, you have done well.

7. Do I need to stay at a hotel to get points?
As long as it is a pre-paid stay, you will receive the points regardless of your presence at the hotel.

8. Will I have to pay the check-in resort fee if I "no show" the stay?
We only have one report of this happening; however, it is not standard practice for RTI (Booking.com) to pass pre-paid credit card details to the stays, so as-of-now the forum is skeptical of this report without further information.

9. Do I get more miles for selecting a better room?
Unfortunately not. The miles are set on a per-location basis; the only way to get more points is to pay for the multiplier/bonus points. Any more expensive rooms will simply mean you're paying more per-mile on your stay.

10. What is the best way to contact the two sites?
E-mail is always the first line of defense. If you fail to get a response within 48 hours (unless this is extremely time sensitive - then call first) then proceed to the phone line. Do note that many of the agents are extremely new or unfamiliar with certain aspects of the program, so be judicious in utilizing your two best friends: the manager and HUACA (hang up and call again).

11. Why can't I contact AA if I have issues?
They don't run the sites. Booking.com does. If you are having a REAL issue (that is, not that your miles didn’t post 15 minutes after checkout, but a technical problem, etc.) a recommended point of contact is
[email protected].

12. How do I view only the hotels that award miles on BAAH?
You can't.

13. How do I sort hotels by most points awarded on BAAH?
You can't.

14. How can I see the total stay cost on BAAH on the search screen (as on RM)?
You can't.

15. So then why should I use BAAH?
You shouldn't.

OK, this is a bit of a lie. It is often the occasion that BAAH will offer a slightly higher mileage reward or a hotel that isn't present on RM. Most users will find their target hotel on RM and then do a final sanity check on BAAH to make sure they aren't ignoring a better deal. We certainly recommend this until the UI/UX experience on BAAH is improved.

Also (new in 2023) BAAH is a "select partner" that benefits from LP bonuses (20% for 6 months after achieving 60k LP; 30% for 6 months after achieving 100k LP). RM is not a "select partner" so no bonus LP will be awarded. Note that the bonus is LP only (no bonus RDM are awarded). Although there as some data points with members receiving LP bonuses for the actual stay that put them over the bonus level, AA's official response has been that you'll only receive the bonus LPs for stays completed after you achieve the new bonus level.

16. Can I book a room for someone else but still get the miles in my account?
Yes, if you book through RM. No, if you book through BAAH.

Also, both RM and BAAH will let you book multiple rooms under a single reservation, but the rooms will all be non-refundable. (Booking a single room shows refundable options.)

17. Which year will my LPs count for if I check in a hotel in February but check out in March?
RM stays have their posting date effective the check OUT date.
BAAH stays have their posting date effective the check IN date.
Given the LP program is new for 2022, we assume AA will treat hotel bookings from BAAH and RM the same as a flight taken on Feb 28: LPs will count effective for the date of the posting from RM or BAAH, not the date your account actually gets miles added. Will be updated in March once we have reports

18. Will I earn points in my hotel loyalty program if I book thru RM or BAAH?
Unlikely, but occasionally people have posted they got elite benefits or a mistaken hotel credit, but it's a 3rd party booking, so most hotel stay programs exclude earning for stays booked thru methods like this. Expect to earn nothing and get no benefits. Anything extra is a nice surprise.

Print Wikipost

Bookaahotels vs RocketMiles - useability, experiences, questions, data points

Old May 1, 2022, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
People keep calling RM and making a mess and eventually they may even mess up the BAAH deal for all and make them all bonus miles…Just book BAAH if you want the bonus miles to post as base…
I know. You also get 2 bites of the apple at BAAH (2 boost opportunities).

The RM advantage seems to be that you can book for other people and still get the miles credited to your account. But I would bet there's a way of doing it with BAAH as well.
Old May 2, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by jamabam
Anyone have recent success earning LPs for a reservation made for a family member, so the booked guest is a different name than the linked AA account?
Yes, no problem on bAAh. I made a booking for 2 persons online, then I called bAAh (not the hotel) and told them the other room occupant was showing up earlier than me and they needed to check in first. I gave them the name and they said they'd pass it on to the hotel. Check-in and -out went smoothly, I was never there, and LP points are in my account.
Old May 3, 2022, 7:17 am

DP on BAAH no-show

On 4/18 I booked and prepaid for a room at the Sheraton in Center City, Philadelphia via BAAH. 10k miles plus 4K boost. The stay was booked for Friday 4/29, and at the last minute I couldn’t make it downtown. Happy to report the miles posted this morning in two separate transactions. All posted as LPs.
Old May 3, 2022, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by vasantn
Reports have been split evenly (2 vs 2) about RM boosts posting as LPs since March 1. I am anxious to see a definitive resolution.
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Can you confirm that you're sure you used Rocketmiles and boost? I just got off the phone with Rocketmiles customer service due to missing loyalty points from a "boosted" stay that posted as bonus miles and escalated to a supervisor who informed me that the loyalty points situation is out of their control and that the boosted miles posted correctly as "bonus". She told me to call AA if I was unclear with the policy...

This is all extremely frustrating and if anyone is in the same boat, please chime in if you have any experience getting your Rocketmiles boost changed from "bonus" to "base".
Weird how the people who say their RM boost as LP disappear. PS- Rocketmiles customer service is abysmal, the representatives don't know the difference between base and bonus miles, don't listen to your issue then argue with you. The customer service at Rocketmiles does not have any intention to help. Use Rocketmiles at your peril if anything goes wrong.
Old May 3, 2022, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EP
I dont think AA's own agents have been any better explaining the Loyalty Points program... its a huge change for everyone, and the 100s (1000s?) of people who work in customer support probably don't get even 1/10 as much education as just reading these threads gives us!
Old May 3, 2022, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA
I booked a room through Rocketmiles at a marriott property. Can I assign my Bonvoy # to the reservation and have it populate in the Bonvoy app?

nevermind, dumb question and figured this out myself with some simple googlin'

Last edited by robinsondg; May 3, 2022 at 1:36 pm
Old May 3, 2022, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyingFromNY
Weird how the people who say their RM boost as LP disappear. PS- Rocketmiles customer service is abysmal, the representatives don't know the difference between base and bonus miles, don't listen to your issue then argue with you. The customer service at Rocketmiles does not have any intention to help. Use Rocketmiles at your peril if anything goes wrong.
Totally agree about RM customer service being abysmal. I paid extra for boost miles for a one night stay on 3/9. The base miles posted within a couple of weeks, but the boost miles are still showing as "pending". I have called multiple times since the end of March, and every time they respond saying they are having "technical issues" and the miles will post in 3-5 days. After hearing the same excuse for 4 weeks, I disputed the charge with my credit card company. I will never use RM again and suggest you don't either.
FlyingFromNY likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 10:03 am

Programs: AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by dciolli
Totally agree about RM customer service being abysmal. I paid extra for boost miles for a one night stay on 3/9. The base miles posted within a couple of weeks, but the boost miles are still showing as "pending". I have called multiple times since the end of March, and every time they respond saying they are having "technical issues" and the miles will post in 3-5 days. After hearing the same excuse for 4 weeks, I disputed the charge with my credit card company. I will never use RM again and suggest you don't either.
Both RM and bAAh use the same call center out of the Philippines. They spoof a Chicago 773 area code and I was able to sort it out when I split up a 4 night booking at one hotel between the two and had problems with both. RM was able to transfer me to a 'colleague' at bAAh on the same call. And for what it's worth, on one of my many calls back to them one guy answered the phone 'I see you are calling from Agoda'. It appears to be a travel industry related call center. They are all very lightly trained.

Front end problems aside, on the back end I've already gotten all base and bonus/boost miles in as LPs from my stay last week from both RM and bAAh. 27,000 LPs for a 4 night stay at Swissotel Istanbul. I was already booked there for work via hotels.com and cancelled that one, so nice bonus from just discovering this hotel scheme 2 weeks ago. They got me to drop Hotels.com, so it's working for them too.
LovePrunes and cmtlatitudes like this.
Old May 4, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Another data point for Rocket.....Just noticed the extra miles are now listed as BASE miles...assuming they will post with LP's.
Old May 5, 2022, 6:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Checking in for 4/20-5/1 trip

So far so good everything Bookaahotels posting as expected from boost to pay more. Comes in batches, currently on 4/28's, didn't have the energy to understand the batch scheduling. 4/28's was booked on 4/27.

I am happy! Though I love hotel breakfast to the point where I even left miles on the table for it (maybe bad choice in hindsight)!! And kinda bum that pay more somehow messes up the logic to remove breakfast even though the not pay more includes breakfast. I've emailed them about this, but you know.. don't wanna rock the boat.

Thanks everyone, glad I discovered this.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG
This rocketmiles saga seems all too confusing. If I pay for extra base miles will they be LPs or just award miles?
Old May 6, 2022, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto
This rocketmiles saga seems all too confusing. If I pay for extra base miles will they be LPs or just award miles?
Have you read the recent posts in this thread? The same question is asked every 2-3 days.
Old May 6, 2022, 3:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Originally Posted by vasantn
Have you read the recent posts in this thread? The same question is asked every 2-3 days.
Yes and it is still clear as mud. The thread should probably have a wiki if there is such frequent confusion.
LovePrunes likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: 1k UA, UA MM, AA EXPlat
Filter For Bonus

Is there an easy way to see hotels offering special miles and boost deals? I have a trip coming up to Kansas City and want to find out best hotel with extra miles
Old May 6, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA PS; AA PPro; Marriott Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by jpsj
Is there an easy way to see hotels offering special miles and boost deals? I have a trip coming up to Kansas City and want to find out best hotel with extra miles
Not that I'm aware of

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.