AA extended status?

Old Jan 11, 2022, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
AA extended status?

Anyone just get their status extended?

just realized my EXP status is showing expiring on Mar 31, 2023. At the same time, I got 4 additional SWUs. This is without yet reaching 2021 thresholds, and without having completed the $2k EQD or CC spend promos from the end of last year.

Ill happily take this. But I was about to book some trips to qualify the real way so it sure would be good to know soon if its a mistake Wondering if this is widespread.
renila likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium,
No Love here from AA. Made EXP again last Nov, status shows until Jan 2023, no SWUs posted yet....

Last edited by 350zrx330; Jan 12, 2022 at 5:12 am
Old Jan 12, 2022, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
No bonus here..I made it through the promo though.

Were you a very high spend/largely paid F EXP previously? I have to imagine AA isn't going to let high helix and profitable customers lose out; they may be doing some very targeted extensions.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
nothing for me... got mime thru the spend thing..
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Definitely rolling my eyes that some people are getting their app to show March when mine still shows January, but its optics really, it'll be changed for me to March eventually.

Now... getting extended an entire year without having done what you needed to in 2021... congrats! Maybe you accidentally did... something? Or maybe an AA glitch and what they giveth they may eventually take away? Fingers crossed for you.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Were you a very high spend/largely paid F EXP previously? I have to imagine AA isn't going to let high helix and profitable customers lose out; they may be doing some very targeted extensions.
Yeah up until March 2020 I probably was close to CK with ~~45K EQD per year mostly from international J

Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Now... getting extended an entire year without having done what you needed to in 2021... congrats! Maybe you accidentally did... something? Or maybe an AA glitch and what they giveth they may eventually take away? Fingers crossed for you.
Reviewed my 2021 activity and definitely didn’t accidentally spend the 2k. Not a big AA CC spender either (yet). I’m not that far from the 2021 thresholds though, just under 2k EQD short.

Last edited by SEA737; Jan 12, 2022 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 12, 2022, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SEA737
Yeah up until March 2020 I probably was borderline CK with ~~45K EQD per year mostly from international J
Gotcha. To me, makes perfect sense to try to keep a customer like you. if you don't fly as much over the next year, AA doesn't lose much by giving you status, but they've at least made a play to ensure you don't become a free agent if you do travel.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:15 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Nothing here.

Sounds like the OP is someone AA would want to keep, but it doesn't make sense that a courtesy extension would happen without at least an email notification. (The four SWUs also seem odd.)
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
Nothing here.

Sounds like the OP is someone AA would want to keep, but it doesn't make sense that a courtesy extension would happen without at least an email notification. (The four SWUs also seem odd.)
The next day I got the standard you made EXP email. But nothing yet about this being an extension nor explaining the SWUs.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by SEA737
The next day I got the standard you made EXP email. But nothing yet about this being a goodwill extension nor explaining the SWUs.
Strange. You're definitely showing as short of EXP in the various progress bars in your AA account? (I assume you know the 2021 qualification thresholds were lowered.)
Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by js1993
Strange. You're definitely showing as short of EXP in the various progress bars in your AA account? (I assume you know the 2021 qualification thresholds were lowered.)
Yes. The progress bars only show the checkmark on the EQMs (where I did reach the threshold) but still just under 2k EQD short from the lowered thresholds.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Oh c'mon, a few thousands here and there, don't worry about it, as long as the tens of thousands are flowing...... AA is not petty to worry about little things like that...
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:22 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I did. I was five dollars short from re-qualifying from EXP. Opened my account this morning to book a flight and noticed that it was extended until March 2023. My progress bars show I met the EQS and EQM thresholds but not the EQD threshold. Got the congrats email this afternoon.

The miles from my Aviator MC December spend posted overnight. Maybe they used the dollars spent on the CC for last month to "double-dip" and factored our spend into the EQDs? That's the only thing I could think of...
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Oh c'mon, a few thousands here and there, don't worry about it, as long as the tens of thousands are flowing...... AA is not petty to worry about little things like that...
That would be the smart way to go about it. Unfortunately, AA historically hasn't quite met this mark always.
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Hertz - PC, Marriott - Titanium
Another data point. EXP for a few years, mainly from International J class. Had made the 100K in mid Feb 2020 to re-qual prior to reduced EXP levels. Did not make the requirements for 2021 nor the CC spend. Got the same welcome email, status extension, and 4 additional SWU. Just waiting for them to realize this and take them back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.