Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA and EI (Air Lingus) launch codeshare agreement

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2022, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz

I did a search and didn't see a thread on this. Thought it might be helpful for some...

https://news.aa.com/news/news-detail...1/default.aspx

Traveling between the United States and Ireland, also known as the Emerald Isle, will be simple, easy and more convenient for customers as American Airlines and Aer Lingus launch their codeshare agreement this week.

To increase connectivity between the U.S and Europe for customers, American will place its code on Aer Lingus flights between London Heathrow (LHR) and Dublin (DUB). Customers can also book codeshare flights on Aer Lingus from DUB to Amsterdam (AMS); Birmingham, UK (BHX); London Gatwick (LGW) and Manchester, UK (MAN); and from LHR to Belfast City, Northern Ireland (BHD); Cork, Ireland (ORK) and Shannon, Ireland (SNN).

“We are excited to extend our relationship with our newest joint business partner, Aer Lingus, with this codeshare agreement,” said Anmol Bhargava, American’s vice president of Alliances. “Through our trans-Atlantic joint business, customers have more choices to key destinations in Europe and now, Ireland.”

Additionally, customers traveling with Aer Lingus will now be able to book codeshare travel on American Airlines flights from Chicago O’Hare (ORD) to Albuquerque, New Mexico, (ABQ); Nashville, Tennessee (BNA); Dallas-Fort Worth (DFW); Los Angeles (LAX); Seattle (SEA); San Francisco (SFO); San Jose, California (SJC) and Tucson, Arizona (TUS).

Further expansion of the codeshare is also planned in the near future.

At this point, this appears to be only codes on specific flights, with no mention of any other agreements (no frequent flyer benefits).
Old Jan 11, 2022, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
This would have been useful for us in November, when AA cancelled its November flights between PHL and DUB. We were rerouted via LHR and had a 5-hour layover for the connecting BA flight. There was an earlier EI flight from LHR-DUB that would have saved us several hours.
Fortunately we were able to return on AA's nonstop from DUB to PHL.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 10:24 am

Programs: AA
Any updates on frequent flyer benefits? Aer Lingus is running some cheap flights out of PHL this summer and want to know if it's worth it to book if I score a better seat with my AA status.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
None yet.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
None yet.
Any update on frequent flier benefits yet?
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Any update on frequent flier benefits yet?
I don’t believe any have been announced / put into place. Perhaps EI will join OW at some point soon given that two of IAG’s main airlines are a part of it.

I have several LON-DUB trips over the next few months and have gone with BA (even if the times are semi-invoncient due to BA offloading most flights to EI) for the OWE benefits that you wouldn’t get on EI: free seat selection at booking, bags, priority check in / fast track (was clutch in DUB last week), lounge, and IROPS support (which also came in handy last week when my ticket was messed up).

I view it as very similar to B6 - avoid unless necessary / pricing makes sense - except B6 provides some fringe benefits to elites.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
EI is not joining OW anytime soon.

They’ve had just under 7 years since IAG bought them to even start the process and yet nothing has happened.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I don’t believe any have been announced / put into place....

...have gone with BA... ...for the OWE benefits that you wouldn’t get on EI: free seat selection at booking, bags, priority check in / fast track (was clutch in DUB last week), lounge, and IROPS support (which also came in handy last week when my ticket was messed up).
Same here... except now that BA has bottled it with my domestic UK onwards flights coming from the states, I have been rebooked on EI.
First time on EI, and I thought "ok, this could be fun" right up to the moment it was explained to me (after the rebooking was complete) there are zero OWE benefits... so sitting in coach after 24+ hrs of travel (on a purchased Buisness ticket) doesn't particular scream "partners" to me here.
(At least not where there is a Y+ product on EI they aren't making available... it seems the least they could do... you know, as partners)

As TravelinSperry asks, sure would be nice to see an update on FF benefits or reciprocal agreements, now that EI is being used far more heavily to bail out BA and the OWE elements we booked for!
Old Jul 18, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
EI is not joining OW anytime soon.

They’ve had just under 7 years since IAG bought them to even start the process and yet nothing has happened.
It is pretty damn funny that I get UA mileage accrual on EI (generally buy a discounted business ticket direct from them for the UK-Ireland flights I do) - their AerSpace class which is more like economy with front seats. With that I get most of the things I would expect from OW benefits, pre-board, lounge, etc, but again I can't credit that EI purchased ticket to AA, but to UA. 🤣
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
This is all about connections within the landmass formerly known as Europe. Not TATL flights.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
This is all about connections within the landmass formerly known as Europe. Not TATL flights.
I don't understand the point of this post.
Parkdesigner likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Microwave
I don't understand the post either. Europe is still Europe and even with Brexit, Ireland remains part of the EU.
asnovici and Parkdesigner like this.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
My wording wasnt great. What i meant is that as far as I have seen the codeshares are only available on in conjunction with a connection with a long haul flight to the US, eg not point to point.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 8:17 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Using AA award for Aer Lingus

Does anyone know if it's possible to book EI award ticket with AA miles?
Old Feb 22, 2023, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Does anyone know if it's possible to book EI award ticket with AA miles?
Not possible at the moment.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...r-airlines.jsp

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.