International F service on AA

Old Jun 3, 22, 10:56 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Iíve been fortunate enough to fly TG, SQ, EK, AA, LH, EY and CX F. All pre covid and Iíd say for food and space my favs are EY (apartment) and SQ suites. Then LH but that was 10+ years ago. They all were amazing and had great food and drink and service was top notch. Based on the comments I canít wait to try JL as if others say theyíre better would be fun to try.
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
Itís my money now that Iím retired. And if it makes me feel better NOT subjecting myself to rapacious redemption ďFuel Surcharges ď, totally work to rule ground staff, LHR, mostly indifferent flight crew, and more costly airfares on competitive routes, I will. And I do.

It makes me feel good NOT to be on BA (or AA)..
All this is perfectly fine and respectable, but with due respect, it does not make the BA F product inferior to AY J. It is exactly in the same way that many on this thread have explained that they would never personally pay the premium to be on AA F vs AA J on the 77W, totally understandable, but it does not follow that the AA F product is inferior to the AA J one, just that those people do not wish to pay for it/do not believe it is good value for money/do not believe it is worth the difference.

I think it is the same here - if you say that you don't think BA F is worth it or that you would never put your money in it, I think that's completely understandable even though I personally do not necessarily agree. I have the same with PE myself, it just doesn't do it for me and I'd rather just fly Y than pay extra to be in premium economy. However, when you say that the BA F product is inferior to the AY J one, it is a factual statement that just sounds bizarre, just as it would sound bizarre to others if I asserted that the W product is inferior to the Y one.
Old Jun 4, 22, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by rkaradi View Post
Iíve been fortunate enough to fly TG, SQ, EK, AA, LH, EY and CX F. All pre covid and Iíd say for food and space my favs are EY (apartment) and SQ suites. Then LH but that was 10+ years ago. They all were amazing and had great food and drink and service was top notch. Based on the comments I canít wait to try JL as if others say theyíre better would be fun to try.
The food is better in my view, but in terms of hard product, EY and SQ are definitely better. JL is just a normal F seat. In terms of soft product/service, I would say that AF is the best not least for the airport experience especially if transiting.
rkaradi likes this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
If every ticket in First was the same price then comparisons would be easy. Prices are not the same so I am prepared to take a reduction in quality for a reduction in price. Pre covid BA was my sweet spot.
CappuccinoAddict likes this.
Old Jun 4, 22, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rubecula View Post
If every ticket in First was the same price then comparisons would be easy. Prices are not the same so I am prepared to take a reduction in quality for a reduction in price. Pre covid BA was my sweet spot.
Yeah in 2019 they had great fare sales. I went west coast to Delhi round trip for about $5k in F. Earned a ton of AS miles too.
Old Jun 4, 22, 2:03 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer View Post
There was a time when AA had a very good international F product and actually carried that over onto JFK transcons. Caviar, salads with lobster, and interesting main courses including rack of lamb, lobster fajitas, and the elaborate ice cream sundaes. Breakfasts featured fresh cooked on board eggs (for a while they even did that on the non-stop Boston-SJC flight). The "coffin" seats were very good...much better than the wooly mammoths. The coffins were fully lie flat horizontal seats. One more thing: AA was working to establish SJC as a hub with non stops to France and Tokyo. Those days are but a distant memory.
in 1990 I flew RTW First Class on AA (from SNA-LAX-LHR) and the rest of the way (LHR-BOM, BOM-SIN, SIN-HKG-LAX) on SQ. To my surprise, the only material difference in the soft product was that the SQ crew was generally younger. But is was Dom Perignon and 3 appetizers (including caviar) on the cart and great food and good desserts. And while I was also generally younger 32 years ago, the service was equally good.
Old Jun 5, 22, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I have no idea about JFK-GRU which sounds like just a "leg" on JL, but I can assure you that on normal flights, there is more difference between JL F catering and AA F catering than between AA F and Y caterings! JL F catering is probably the very best there is in the air (in my view, even better than AF P, which is a better product overall and has a vastly superior lounge).

The JL drinks menu is also on an entirely different level.
Did you miss the part where I said this was a comparison of flights more than 20 years ago?
Old Jun 17, 22, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos View Post
I'm doing DEL-JFK-DEL in AA F too mid june and early july return.. unfortunately the other pricings are just way too expensive compared to AA F.. For e.g. QR J was 1.3x, BA J was 1.1x and LH J (LH/UA) was same as AA F.. after reading the thread, now hoping for a schedule change atleast westbound..

Will update recent experience once flown..
Very curious about your experience, also food/drink wise? Is there any premium wine/champagne, or better food?
Old Jun 18, 22, 4:49 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Reading thisI am, like others, minded that what passes for First nowadays is a downgrade on that which used to be. Nowadays, I am uncertain whether I am in a seat that transforms into a bed or a bed that transforms into a seat. F should be about space and comfort and I think that most airlines fulfil that. The catering is, frankly, where the downgrade is biggest. Everything is pre-plated and one thing that the latest menu shows is that it is far from Gourmet. Instead of the roasts for which American used to be famous, there are Braised Ribs. Cheap cuts of Fish, meat and whatever the vegan option happens to be. Pasta abounds. It's as bad at BA with their School Canteen Specials on Prizegiving Day. The F wine list looks exactly like the J list. When I think what we used to serve, it actually sad. American served caviar, There was a proper seafood cart, and then come and carve the beef. It was special and it was excellent However that was then and it is never coming back.

If I wanted to have a Gourmet Experience at 30,000 ft - I'd chose Air France - American and BA do not come close - Still, as it is my belief that F is basically doomed in the long term. the fact that it is as someone said J in bigger seats does not matter. I am just glad that I experienced when it was a class act and we had to be trained in F service before we were allowed to serve there. Those days are gone and mourning them is futile.
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
YMMV

I haver never been a big fan of BA, either on the ground or in the air.

Itís my money now that Iím retired. And if it makes me feel better NOT subjecting myself to rapacious redemption ďFuel Surcharges ď, totally work to rule ground staff, LHR, mostly indifferent flight crew, and more costly airfares on competitive routes, I will. And I do.

As I said-YMMV. Fly safely.
however I do love the Galleries Lounge at LHR. I actually look for flight pairs with slightly longer connection times to enjoy the lounge particularly heading to Europe.
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:49 am

For anyone traveling soon here is a recent review..
.. I recently got back from a vacation to Europe where I flew AA F on the way there and BA F on the way back to the US. This was my first time ever flying F internationally. I must say despite seeing the pics beforehand I did feel that the hard product on AA was a bit underwhelming and definitely hasnt aged well, although I did really like the mattress covers that were issued. Service wise I felt the experience was ok on AA but wasn't anything special. I didn't try the meals as we left around midnight due to delays but i did try Flaship First dining @DFW earlier in the evening and the burger and chips I had were a solid 9/10. BA I felt was superior but also didn't blow me away. The lack of air nozzles on their 777s makes for a very warm flight, but I will say that service wise they are a step and a half ahead of AA. They at least remembered my name for the whole flight, were always available for refills of drinks, and did seem genuinely polite and professional which I appreciate. Their actual seat did look more appealing but i found was slightly less comfortable than AA's. I did like the concorde room though but me being a person that has been to 100s of other lounges it didn't blow me away. Overall I would say that F is superior to J in those two airlines at least for me but that difference isn't big enough to justify paying significantly more points or $$$. Idk what the future of first class is although it probably is going the way of the dinosaurs but I wish I had been old enough to experience F in it heyday as others on this thread have mentioned.

Last edited by mochajj87; Jun 19, 22 at 7:00 am
Old Jun 19, 22, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by george 3 View Post
however I do love the Galleries Lounge at LHR. I actually look for flight pairs with slightly longer connection times to enjoy the lounge particularly heading to Europe.
LOL, really? The place is a dump.
Old Jun 19, 22, 9:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
YMMV

I haver never been a big fan of BA, either on the ground or in the air.

As I said-YMMV. Fly safely.
YMMV

I've had to look that up. Now you and I know that the real reason is that I no longer fly for them.

Retirement has caught me too - that and the fact that the Travelling Public presents challenges of behaviour and manners (or lack of ) that I no longer wish to confront.

LOL, really? The place is a dump.
BlooJoo my Love - I cannot defend the place as I have not set foot in it for 10 years as I get to go in the FLounge (as we call it)/ What I will say is that Lounge Access is for anyone who is on a Business Class Fare. That is not what happens in the US - Buying a Business Class ticket from say Dallas to Austin would not automatically get one Lounge Access. So usually the place is heaving - however one thing I would add is that there is no queuing to get in (CLT comes to mind). Everyone in there is entitled to help themselves to food and whatever they want to drink - Champagne is on request but it is available. That may have changed and it may be open to all.

Still it is International F that we are discussing - I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the J flights to and fro ORD. I had deliberately not flown them after a dreadful LAX - LHR. I do not mean to be rude but whether it was the fact that it was a LAX based crew (as opposed to the ORD crew the other day) , I honestly thought that some of them should have stopped flying long ago. They were sweet, but they forgot anything between our seats and the galley. I have no idea if AA are cheaper than others - and certainly since Covid BA is not what it used to be (which airline is?) . This I will say, were the Upgrade fairy to wave her want and I was put into F - I would not complain.
Old Jun 19, 22, 10:32 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Originally Posted by Thino View Post
Very curious about your experience, also food/drink wise? Is there any premium wine/champagne, or better food?
Trip Report - DEL-JFK; F; Seat 2A
1. Check-in experience at DEL was smooth - nothing special to write home about. Plaza Premium lounge offered in DEL. I didnt use it - just stayed at the Irish Bar prior to gate.
2. Boarding was early and was one of the first one's to board
3. PDB offered as soon as boarded - bubbly wine or water/juice etc. Bubbly wine was only alcoholic choice.
4. FA offered PJs and came to take food order. Food and drink choices were elaborate..
5. After Take-off, flight was bumpy for a while (an hr or so) and Pilot had asked FAs to stay seated. I had slept off by the time they came around for food..
6. I did wake from my slumber somewhere over eastern Europe (5+ hours into flight) and was asked if I wanted to have my meal they had saved.. I did enjoy the canape's; asparagaus soup and cajun chicken very much. Champagne was nice too but not great.. I settled on the red bourdeoux.. FAs very attentive throughout for re-fills etc..
7. Mid-flight snack offered around 10hr mark.. Refused - stayed with water..
8. Breakfast before landing at JFK - just had continental - nothing home to right about..

Overall: Hard product - BA is better I feel in seat comfort. AA has better bedding. AA has better in-flight entertainment for my liking at least... FAs - hit and miss... The FA at start and end of flight was ok, not great. The graveyard shift FA was fabulous. AA Flagship lounge in JFK was underwhelming after reading so much about it. I live most of my year in Asia and am used to either QR lounge in Doha or SQ lounges in SIN or pre-pandemic CX lounges in HKG which are far far superior.. Only positive was showers - which were awesome and lot of space!!

Note: The DEL-JFK leg is bloody long without use of Russian airspace.. I will avoid from next time as connections out of JFK arent great for my onward destinations..
Old Jun 19, 22, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer View Post
The FA at CX F class JFK-HKG was 35 years old. I thought she was old until I met the AA FA JFK-LAX. She was double that age.
And twice as good. Open your mind junior
VegasGambler likes this.

Search this Thread