International F service on AA

Old Jun 1, 2022, 8:30 pm

Programs: LX Senator; AF Platinum and Club 2000; AA Platinum for life (former EXP)
There was a time when AA had a very good international F product and actually carried that over onto JFK transcons. Caviar, salads with lobster, and interesting main courses including rack of lamb, lobster fajitas, and the elaborate ice cream sundaes. Breakfasts featured fresh cooked on board eggs (for a while they even did that on the non-stop Boston-SJC flight). The "coffin" seats were very good...much better than the wooly mammoths. The coffins were fully lie flat horizontal seats. One more thing: AA was working to establish SJC as a hub with non stops to France and Tokyo. Those days are but a distant memory.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
There was a time when AA had a very good international F product and actually carried that over onto JFK transcons. Caviar, salads with lobster, and interesting main courses including rack of lamb, lobster fajitas, and the elaborate ice cream sundaes. Breakfasts featured fresh cooked on board eggs (for a while they even did that on the non-stop Boston-SJC flight). The "coffin" seats were very good...much better than the wooly mammoths. The coffins were fully lie flat horizontal seats. One more thing: AA was working to establish SJC as a hub with non stops to France and Tokyo. Those days are but a distant memory.
They had no route authority to LHR (or LGW) from SJC - which they wanted to do over Paris. Tokyo ran for quite some time even after CDG was killed - TPE also flew around that time from SJC. Flew SJC-TPE a few times, was a 777 Three class aircraft, it ended pretty quick after 9/11, these routes as I recall were pre 9/11. (Late 2000/Early 2001)
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Sad how much things have changed. Really hoping for a flight delay/cancellation on JFK-CDG that allows me to ask for rebooking on Air France F.
Old Jun 1, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Sad how much things have changed. Really hoping for a flight delay/cancellation on JFK-CDG that allows me to ask for rebooking on Air France F.
Will never happen in a million years...
They'll send you via LHR on BA/AA, best case.
Antarius and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Will never happen in a million years...
They'll send you via LHR on BA/AA, best case.
could you imagine AA opening their wallets to fly someone on AF F.

🤣
Old Jun 2, 2022, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
That's a good one!

-FlyerBeek
orbitmic and hhdl like this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Yep haha I know how infinitesimal the odds are. I’ve always been an optimist!
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
That's a good one!

-FlyerBeek
I mean, he can ask. The agent might even be polite enough not to laugh while saying no.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Around this time (shortly pre-9/11) I did both AA F and JL F on the JFK-GRU route, and to be honest, JL wasn't significantly better. Yes, the style of service from the FAs was different, with all the bowing, but catering wasn't so different. I don't remember the booze (I wasn't as knowledgeable about champagne back then), though I know I have the hard copy of the JL menu somewhere...
I have no idea about JFK-GRU which sounds like just a "leg" on JL, but I can assure you that on normal flights, there is more difference between JL F catering and AA F catering than between AA F and Y caterings! JL F catering is probably the very best there is in the air (in my view, even better than AF P, which is a better product overall and has a vastly superior lounge).

The JL drinks menu is also on an entirely different level.

Last edited by orbitmic; Jun 3, 2022 at 5:12 am
Old Jun 3, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Respectfully disagree.
Can you elaborate why you consider AY J superior to BA F? I'm quite critical of BA F for many reasons, but I really can't imagine in what parallel universe it would be deemed worse than AY J on any front (seat, footprint, food, drinks, lounges, amenities, service, etc). I'm not questioning your right to think so but would really like to understand why you feel that way
Old Jun 3, 2022, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Can you elaborate why you consider AY J superior to BA F? I'm quite critical of BA F for many reasons, but I really can't imagine in what parallel universe it would be deemed worse than AY J on any front (seat, footprint, food, drinks, lounges, amenities, service, etc). I'm not questioning your right to think so but would really like to understand why you feel that way
Fantasy world, or trying to prove a point. There is no conceivable universe where AY J, while very good, is better than BA F, now that the enhanced product has returned post-COVID.
WanderingGent likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have no idea about JFK-GRU which sounds like just a "leg" on JL, but I can assure you that on normal flights, there is more difference between JL F catering and AA F catering than between AA F and Y caterings! JL F catering is probably the very best there is in the air (in my view, even better than AF P, which is a better product overall and has a vastly superior lounge).

The JL drinks menu is also on an entirely different level.
I have to agree with this. I've never flown AF but I've flown JL, CX, EK, and BA, all in long haul F, and the food on JL was the best by a wide margin. EK was fancier but JL was better, and it wasn't close.

As far as the JL drinks menu, I mostly drink the iced tea. It's amazingly good. I've been to the store that sells the stuff too; it's not cheap.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
As far as the JL drinks menu, I mostly drink the iced tea. It's amazingly good. I've been to the store that sells the stuff too; it's not cheap.
Ah ah, you've got hooked on the Royal Blue/Queen of Blue Tea? I agree it is very good but I do find the three figure pricing is indeed totally ridiculous.

To my knowledge, JL is the only airline to have regularly served Salon in F, several Bordeaux first flush over the years, and some of the Japanese whiskies people can't find any more. But to be honest, for me with JL it is not even the high end stuff (they also do wagyu, caviar, etc) but mostly the refinement of it all, and in food terms, both the Western and Japanese options are simply outstanding. Now if AA really wanted to take inspiration from them before my next few AA F trips later this year!
Antarius and CappuccinoAddict like this.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
It is said that BA First is a very good business class product. I agree.

I concur with most here about AA international F service. On the few occasions I have tried it, service ranged from sufficient to dreadful (including eyerolling FAs).
I got excellent service once on a MIA-LAX flight in business. Very USA (American) service: upbeat, cheerful, friendly and at the same time courteous.
Old Jun 3, 2022, 7:55 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Fantasy world, or trying to prove a point. There is no conceivable universe where AY J, while very good, is better than BA F, now that the enhanced product has returned post-COVID.
Originally Posted by carlosdca
It is said that BA First is a very good business class product. I agree.

I concur with most here about AA international F service. On the few occasions I have tried it, service ranged from sufficient to dreadful (including eyerolling FAs).
I got excellent service once on a MIA-LAX flight in business. Very USA (American) service: upbeat, cheerful, friendly and at the same time courteous.
YMMV

I haver never been a big fan of BA, either on the ground or in the air.

It’s my money now that I’m retired. And if it makes me feel better NOT subjecting myself to rapacious redemption “Fuel Surcharges “, totally work to rule ground staff, LHR, mostly indifferent flight crew, and more costly airfares on competitive routes, I will. And I do.

It makes me feel good NOT to be on BA (or AA)..

As I said-YMMV. Fly safely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.