International F service on AA

Old May 31, 22, 11:02 am
  #91  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: KHOU/KIAH
Programs: AA "mid tier" elite | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 8,106
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
In terms of the current F seat, the key difference is that the bed is wider and longer than the J seat and your feet don't go into a cubbyhole. It's significantly more comfortable for taller/larger passengers, but if you're under, say, 6' with shoe size smaller than 13, those benefits are minimal. The swivel function is novel but you lose legroom when facing the window so I wouldn't normally bother with it.
As someone who's 6'2" with big feet, I don't find the 77W seat to be an issue. Yes, it has a foot cubby, but it's not small like others and also only a limited portion of your feet go in (unlike the 772 and 787 Superdiamond seats where your entire lower body is trapped). The AA 77W and CX J seats are my favorite ones in the sky due to the lack of a significant foot jail.

The AA F seat is fine originally, but it's poorly maintained. The beds have a weird lump mid hip and the chair, due to the swivel functionality, has a wobble almost like a restaurant table that needs a napkin or coaster under one of the legs. Not sure if it has a plastic collar that's wearing out or the bearings need to be replaced.
Antarius is online now  
Old May 31, 22, 12:40 pm
  #92  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,236
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Great review and great memories. I can't recall 100%, but I don't think the "coffins" were truly lie flat? I think they were like the deep recline 762 F seats with "walls"?
They were marketed as fully flat, but they may have been a few degrees shy of 180. But definitely flatter than the deep recline 762s. FWIW I was in a Lufthansa 744 F coffin (probably c. 2010) that was a good 10-15 degrees shy of flat, and nobody on FT believed me so I had to post pictures of not only my seat but another pax where you could clearly see it wasn't close to flat. It's possible that there were mechanical issues with some seats.
ijgordon is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 1:17 pm
  #93  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: American Airlines
Posts: 25,658
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
and nobody on FT believed me

njvandy and Antarius like this.
enviroian is online now  
Old May 31, 22, 3:10 pm
  #94  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LON, BOM
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN
Posts: 158
I am booked to fly AA292 JFK-DEL in F in June. I'd apprecaite any info/recommendations for my flight.
bowzer91 is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 3:44 pm
  #95  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CHS
Programs: Lots
Posts: 768
Originally Posted by bowzer91 View Post
I am booked to fly AA292 JFK-DEL in F in June. I'd apprecaite any info/recommendations for my flight.
Hope for a schedule change that allows you to be rerouted on a better airline? If this is you’re first F flight you’ll probably enjoy it and a lot of what people complain about may not even phase you. If you’ve flown other F products you’ll most likely be underwhelmed. The food and booze is subpar to other F (and some C) products, save the ice cream sundae which is the best desert available on any carrier IMO. But even what’s “good” on other carriers is still airplane food. You’ll have much better available in FFD but even that is still airport food (although of high quality). I haven’t found the seat as bad as people make it out to be but it is a bit weird and uncomfortable during take off and landing if you try to stretch your feet. Service could be great, awful (unlikely to get either), or mediocre (would bet on that). Not sure if pajamas are offered, last time I looked it up the website said they were offered but that may not be accurate.

Really though, if you normally fly in the back and this is a once in a life time opportunity, ignore all the criticisms and enjoy! Most of the things people complain about wouldn’t even be noticed by folks who aren’t up front often.
Dallas49er likes this.
IggySD is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 4:43 pm
  #96  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,134
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Since you've flown BA F several times, think of it as BA F, but significantly worse, with inferior service and catering, but maybe a better seat.
Something inferior to BA F? Working from the bottom up- AA F international, Air Zimbabwe F, Bangladesh International, air India, ....

Originally Posted by bowzer91 View Post
I am booked to fly AA292 JFK-DEL in F in June. I'd apprecaite any info/recommendations for my flight.
My condolences. Pick another airline. Eliminate AA, BA, Air India. Look at Qatar or Finnair (No F), if you have to do Oneworld. AF, LH, will do a better job to Asia, and anywhere else.

Ymmv

Last edited by Microwave; Jun 28, 22 at 3:57 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
Dallas49er is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 4:59 pm
  #97  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 8,057
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
My condolences. Pick another airline. Eliminate AA, BA, Air India. Look at Qatar or Finnair (No F), if you have to do Oneworld. AF, LH, will do a better job to Asia, and anywhere else.

Ymmv
You think AY J is better than BA F? That has not been my experience.
orbitmic likes this.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 5:11 pm
  #98  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW-In Plano & CDG-In the 11th
Programs: Airline Free Agent, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis likes me
Posts: 3,134
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
You think AY J is better than BA F? That has not been my experience.
Respectfully disagree.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Dallas49er is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 8:49 pm
  #99  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Posts: 1,950
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
I've seen it even lower occasionally. 350 USD.

My last LHR trip, a roundtrip in J was 110k miles and in F was 112.5k miles. We ended up taking J as the seat is way more comfortable.
wow for 2500 more miles I’d book F. Sure it’s AA but it’s quieter up front and shade more space.
rkaradi is offline  
Old May 31, 22, 9:05 pm
  #100  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LON, BOM
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by IggySD View Post
Hope for a schedule change that allows you to be rerouted on a better airline? If this is you’re first F flight you’ll probably enjoy it and a lot of what people complain about may not even phase you. If you’ve flown other F products you’ll most likely be underwhelmed. The food and booze is subpar to other F (and some C) products, save the ice cream sundae which is the best desert available on any carrier IMO. But even what’s “good” on other carriers is still airplane food. You’ll have much better available in FFD but even that is still airport food (although of high quality). I haven’t found the seat as bad as people make it out to be but it is a bit weird and uncomfortable during take off and landing if you try to stretch your feet. Service could be great, awful (unlikely to get either), or mediocre (would bet on that). Not sure if pajamas are offered, last time I looked it up the website said they were offered but that may not be accurate.

Really though, if you normally fly in the back and this is a once in a life time opportunity, ignore all the criticisms and enjoy! Most of the things people complain about wouldn’t even be noticed by folks who aren’t up front often.
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
My condolences. Pick another airline. Eliminate AA, BA, Air India. Look at Qatar or Finnair (No F), if you have to do Oneworld. AF, LH, will do a better job to Asia, and anywhere else.

Ymmv
I normally fly F or J, and have flown AA J before, but AA F would be new to me. I am a skeptical of AA F after having read through this thread.

However, I had a schedule change and I have a booked LX F (roundtrip remainder) ticket to BOM, but am unable to secure a seat +/- 3 days around my preferred changed date (its been like this more than 20 days out and a change to LH F is being stupidly priced to me).

Hence I was looking for a reasonable one-way fare from NYC in J. But AA is giving me an F fare which is cheaper than J on almost every carrier barring KU and MS.

No mileage options around my date either, so any suggestions are welcome
bowzer91 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:19 am
  #101  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Posts: 1,950
Originally Posted by bowzer91 View Post
I normally fly F or J, and have flown AA J before, but AA F would be new to me. I am a skeptical of AA F after having read through this thread.

However, I had a schedule change and I have a booked LX F (roundtrip remainder) ticket to BOM, but am unable to secure a seat +/- 3 days around my preferred changed date (its been like this more than 20 days out and a change to LH F is being stupidly priced to me).

Hence I was looking for a reasonable one-way fare from NYC in J. But AA is giving me an F fare which is cheaper than J on almost every carrier barring KU and MS.

No mileage options around my date either, so any suggestions are welcome
sq F to fra then lh to bom perhaps?
Dallas49er likes this.
rkaradi is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 12:59 am
  #102  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BLR
Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, UA - 1K, UK - PLT
Posts: 1,062
Originally Posted by Dallas49er View Post
My condolences. Pick another airline. Eliminate AA, BA, Air India. Look at Qatar or Finnair (No F), if you have to do Oneworld. AF, LH, will do a better job to Asia, and anywhere else.

Ymmv
I'm doing DEL-JFK-DEL in AA F too mid june and early july return.. unfortunately the other pricings are just way too expensive compared to AA F.. For e.g. QR J was 1.3x, BA J was 1.1x and LH J (LH/UA) was same as AA F.. after reading the thread, now hoping for a schedule change atleast westbound..

Will update recent experience once flown..
galaticos is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 6:38 am
  #103  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: LON, BOM
Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by galaticos View Post
I'm doing DEL-JFK-DEL in AA F too mid june and early july return.. unfortunately the other pricings are just way too expensive compared to AA F.. For e.g. QR J was 1.3x, BA J was 1.1x and LH J (LH/UA) was same as AA F.. after reading the thread, now hoping for a schedule change atleast westbound..

Will update recent experience once flown..
Agreed, pricing is out of control right now - with the cost of crude and fewer seats being supplied to the market.

I have also noticed instances where the lower fare buckets are zero'd out even though individual flights in the itinerary are wide open.
bowzer91 is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 11:20 am
  #104  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WAS/TYO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Posts: 5,553
Originally Posted by ijgordon View Post
Well, pre-9/11 AA had a caviar cart (don't ask me what kind of caviar), and then a salad cart where they would make a salad to order with desired toppings, which ex-JFK at least usually included a chilled half-lobster protein option (back to NY was usually chicken). I don't think the main courses were any better or worse than they are now. Then there was a cheese and dessert cart, which I think included both ice cream sundaes and a cake/tart. (IIRC it was really "OR" not "AND", but if the FA was in a good mood they would give you both cheese and dessert). Unfortunately, the hard product was significantly worse back then - the 762ERs (and A300s/DC-10s IIRC, which were on their way out) were 2-1-2 deep recliners with 62" of pitch, so close to flat but not quite (you could sleep on your side but not your stomach), with pneumatic recline but electric legrests. The 763ERs had just installed flat bed "coffins" (also 2-1-2), and I think most of the 777s came with the coffins (2-2-2), although at some point there was a differentiation between the "atlantic" and "pacific' fleet of 772s, with the Pacific version getting the flagship suites, which is the prior iteration of the current 77W product. I think in the mid-2000s they upgraded all 772s to flagship suites (and angle flats in J)...
Great memory! AA's international F service was really good well into the mid-2000s. I was slightly too late for the caviar cart on AA, but I do remember the wonderful lobster tail salads departing JFK (both on transcons and international flights). One very minor correction... I believe the 772 "coffin" F seats were actually on the Pacific 777s. In reality though, Europe flights could wind up with either configuration. The 777 coffin F seats were finally retired sometime in late-2007, IIRC, but the seats themselves remained very similar to those in F on the 762 until they were retired a decade later. I think they might have actually recycled some of those seat components onto the 762 when the wooly mammoth F seats were finally phased out.

-FlyerBeek
FlyerBeek is offline  
Old Jun 1, 22, 7:57 pm
  #105  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 25,236
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek View Post
One very minor correction... I believe the 772 "coffin" F seats were actually on the Pacific 777s. In reality though, Europe flights could wind up with either configuration.
Ahhhh, you ARE correct! F on 777 Atlantic VS Pacific config
I just assumed the longer flights would get the better seat, silly me! I do believe that AA wouldn't fly the suites on a pacific routing because those aircraft didn't have the crew rest areas, but as you mentioned, TATL routings could get either. I definitely had coffins on JFK-CDG in late 2002, although that actually may have been before the suites were even introduced.
ijgordon is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread