Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International F service on AA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: aa exp, ihg plat amb
When they offer champagne as PDB or welcome drink as boarding, is it the same main one on the menu, or a less expensive one?
Old Feb 24, 2022, 4:25 pm

The first class now is nowhere near the first class of the past. Not even Emirate A380 F come close.

Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
The first class now is nowhere near the first class of the past. Not even Emirate A380 F come close.
Have you seen the "first class" seats of the past??
IndyHoosier and hhdl like this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; UA GOLD 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; HYATT EXPLORIST; MARRIOTT/IHGGOLD
Flew LAX-LHR in F this week....service was ok but nothing notable. As others have mentioned in other threads, dinner is now served on a tray in two batches - soup/appetizer/salad together (in my case they were covered in plastic, which was tacky) and then main course. PDB drinks in real glassware but they didn't open the decent bubbles til after takeoff. All the food was decent but nothing special. Full bedding set including mattress pad but oddly only the transcon business class amenity kits (which are the worst in many years IMHO).

The most notable thing: Laurent Perrier Grand Sičcle champagne (which is served in FFD at JFK) was on the menu and actually catered. This is by far the best champagne I have ever seem on board ($150/bottle) on an AA flight.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 10:12 am

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
I took the time to read most of the posts on this thread. Then I left it alone and came back to it this morning. After pondering whether to post or not, I decided my two cents needed to be added to the thread. I'm based in LA. I purposely plan all of my TATL flights to go thru LHR because I want to be in first class. I typically buy a discounted business class ticket and use an SWU for an upgrade that clears, usually at the time of booking. If not, I chose a bulkhead seat in business class so I get more foot well space. Service in my opinion does not have an age. You can have great service from a more senior person equally as well as from a newbie. Its all about their attitude and dedication to the job. It seems that some posters want to be entertained. Or they want strippers serving them? Or they want to be served as if they are in a Michelin starred restaurant. The only time I've ever come close to that is on TK. In addition, some posters want nothing but top top shelf liquor. The reality is that none of those things are going to happen and never will. Want strippers, go to Vegas. Want a Michelin star get off of the plane. Want top shelf, then bring your own. Since when did flying become an excuse to get hammered? Sorry for the pulpit preaching but some of these posts are just plain stupid. For me, FC is all about space and getting a good nights sleep. If I get exceptional service, I profusely thank the staff and go about my life. Another safe trip. Another chance to use an upgrade instrument for a free upgrade. Another time to be grateful I didn't have to sit in coach. Why can't we practice gratitude?
VFR and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by ffdom
Flew LAX-LHR in F this week....service was ok but nothing notable. As others have mentioned in other threads, dinner is now served on a tray in two batches - soup/appetizer/salad together (in my case they were covered in plastic, which was tacky) and then main course. PDB drinks in real glassware but they didn't open the decent bubbles til after takeoff. All the food was decent but nothing special. Full bedding set including mattress pad but oddly only the transcon business class amenity kits (which are the worst in many years IMHO).

The most notable thing: Laurent Perrier Grand Sičcle champagne (which is served in FFD at JFK) was on the menu and actually catered. This is by far the best champagne I have ever seem on board ($150/bottle) on an AA flight.
What date did you fly? I was on Wednesday's 134 flight. Unfortunately got too tired and passed out so missed out on the good champagne.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:09 am

My last international F trip on AA was DFW>LHR>DFW over Thanksgiving. Service was pleasant, but their mission was definitely to serve a meal ASAP, turn off the lights and go to the galley to sit and read.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 5:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Excuse me, but are we to infer from these pictures that you DID NOT order the ice cream sundae when given the opportunity to do so? That's close the blasphemy for many on this board.
Well sadly with age comes sensitivity to dairy. Ice cream sundaes on a plane can be dangerous.

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Are you sure? That looks like the plastic ones. Versus domestic F, Flagship J/F PDB has long used those vessels that are more rigid plastic but still not glass.
Of course I'm sure, I was there.

Originally Posted by enviroian
Just the fact that he got excited it was real glass (as we all would) is in itself sad and shows just how low AA has set the bar.
I know you have your issues with AA as you make clear in every single post but there's no reason for you to describe my behavior as "sad".
slpybear likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone who complains about whether their drink comes in real glass or not is just looking for something to complain about.

A lot of airlines do plastic for PDB and then glass after takeoff. I drink them all the same. My bigger concern is whether they offer full bar or just sparkling wine / champagne, since I don't drink wine. I do appreciate a scotch before takeoff though, whether it's served in plastic or glass.
hhdl likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Anyone who complains about whether their drink comes in real glass or not is just looking for something to complain about.

A lot of airlines do plastic for PDB and then glass after takeoff. I drink them all the same. My bigger concern is whether they offer full bar or just sparkling wine / champagne, since I don't drink wine. I do appreciate a scotch before takeoff though, whether it's served in plastic or glass.
Anyone who complains about whether PDB is just sparkling wine/champagne, or scotch, is just looking for something to complain about.
Seat 1F and BlooJoo like this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10
I know you have your issues with AA as you make clear in every single post but there's no reason for you to describe my behavior as "sad".
Not even close. My "sad" comment was towards AA not you. Jeez.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
A lot of airlines do plastic for PDB and then glass after takeoff.
No proper airline that's actually interested in a premium experience does this (i.e. all foreign airlines).
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
Anyone who complains about whether PDB is just sparkling wine/champagne, or scotch, is just looking for something to complain about.
For me it is not about the Champagne/non-Champagne. It is about the cheapskating. They do this because if they serve real Champagne before take off they have to pay the full price with duty and tax - once they are airbourne it becomes Duty-Free. What I do not understand now is that if they serve a decent Champagne in the Flagship Lounge they must have paid all the taxes on it - so why not serve this to their premium passengers as opposed to anything else.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 5:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What I do not understand now is that if they serve a decent Champagne in the Flagship Lounge they must have paid all the taxes on it - so why not serve this to their premium passengers as opposed to anything else.
I've always wondered the same thing. They serve duty-paid Champagne to anyone with access to the Flagship Lounge (more than just those flying in Flagship F/J), but then won't pay for a PDB bottle or two for the actual J/F pax. Never made much sense to me. Even some airlines that offer very expensive Champagne inflight (JL F's Cristal and Salon selections come to mind) still offer a drinkable (business class quality) Champagne as a PDB option in F. That I can at least understand if they don't want to be paying tax on a $500+ bottle on the ground, but I never really understood why the U.S. carriers are so unwilling to do that if they're already paying taxes for the same bottle of Champagne in the lounge.

-FlyerBeek
BavarianFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 7:45 pm

Well after reading this thread I'm glad I swapped my AA F seat for a BA F seat for my vacation trip later this year to europe. Can anyone provide any insight into how BA First stacks up to AA's service wise and produce wise?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.