Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International F service on AA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ianassum
I find it interesting that the obsessional focus on various individual rights in the US is not matched by the rights passengers have to receive consistent product delivery in F while flying
You have no right to good or consistent service when flying any particular airline or in any particular class of service. Like anything else, if you don't feel that the product provided is worth the price then don't buy it.
NickP 1K likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 6:16 pm

Programs: NZ*G, AA CK
NickP1K
I read your comments with interest and understand your point of view
I am also aware that the service you received is not typical of the overall philosophy of the airline for guests in F (the experience starts with the bedding all dumped on the seat leaving you to pick it up - this and the plastic cup for PDB on some flights in F are difficult to interpret any other way, even though you could argue this is management).
On my last flight in F the flight attendant took my G&T glass (I had asked for extra lime) and when I asked for another, returned the same glass with the watered down ice slivers and the old lime without bothering to change the glass; he also chose to omit the PDB as he was busy chatting to another FA in the galley and the flight was boarded with plenty of time; when I checked with the lead FA she said there should have been a PDB but then said or did nothing else when I told her this had been omitted)
Meals were placed with no eye contact or human interaction
Little things mean a lot
Customer focused crew anticipate YOUR needs and don't cut corners
The average non-US airline ensures you have a fine dining experience with clear product differentiation between F and J menus
To condone bad service on US airlines is enabling and the "hook" is our slavish loyalty to their FF programs
I find it interesting that the obsessional focus on various individual rights in the US is not matched by the rights passengers have to receive consistent product delivery in F while flying
Some people save for years to have the trip of their lifetime
An increasingly prevalent culture of beholding to the whims of the FA and the poor F product by management on any particular AA flight is a source of concern

Additionally when you state "the hard product outshines anyone else" are you saying that the AA F hard product outshines that of AF La Premiere, SQ Suites and the new NH First Room?
Never understand the whole plastic cup thing for PDBs. It's such a small thing to improve on. In F MIA-GRU and LAX-LHR in F and the plastic cup reigns supreme!
Old Jun 28, 2022, 8:43 pm

Plastic cups

Originally Posted by ZiggyNZ
Never understand the whole plastic cup thing for PDBs. It's such a small thing to improve on. In F MIA-GRU and LAX-LHR in F and the plastic cup reigns supreme!
The reason you see plastic cups for PDBs, is that you can hold onto them up until prepare for takeoff. If they were served in glassware, they would need to be picked up and stowed prior to door closing. Some kind of FAA thing
aztimm likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:03 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by skylady
The reason you see plastic cups for PDBs, is that you can hold onto them up until prepare for takeoff. If they were served in glassware, they would need to be picked up and stowed prior to door closing. Some kind of FAA thing
I guess I have encountered two different "noncompliant rogue" Flight Attendants this year. On separate AA flights, from MIA to LAX in F on a 77W, they served a pre-departure beverage in glass; provided a refill; and collected the empty containers well after door closure. God Bless those rebels.
Buster CT1K likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
DEL-JFK earlier this month, PDB was in glassware, not plastic
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:24 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by skylady
I'm sorry, but this is actually patently false. It's a myth that's somehow been circulated among US carrier FAs. The FAA makes zero distinction between glass and plastic. This is simply an AA service standard, to make things easier for FAs. There is absolutely nothing preventing the use of glass while the aircraft is stationary. The strictest interpretation of the rule is that everything must be collected prior to pushback. The specific rule is:

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v...03_033_006.htm

C. Movement on the Surface.

1) Parts 121 and 135 require that all service items (including food, beverage, tableware, beverage trays, serving carts, and movie screens) are in their stowed position for movement on the surface. If there is a question regarding the stowage of a particular item, and it must be stowed for takeoff and landing, then it must also be stowed for movement on the surface. It should be noted that air carriers may arrange to provide limited food and beverage service to its passengers when the aircraft is no longer moving on the surface (e.g., when the aircraft is stationary on a taxiway in a long queue awaiting takeoff or in the airport penalty box). In such cases, the air carrier should have specific procedures for flightcrew members and F/As to follow, including coordination and communication between the flight deck and the passenger cabin. This will ensure that these new requirements are met before aircraft movement on the surface resumes.
2) Parts 121 and 135 now require all occupants of an aircraft to be seated with their safety belts fastened during movement on the surface.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:05 pm

FAR

Originally Posted by BlooJoo
I'm sorry, but this is actually patently false. It's a myth that's somehow been circulated among US carrier FAs. The FAA makes zero distinction between glass and plastic. This is simply an AA service standard, to make things easier for FAs. There is absolutely nothing preventing the use of glass while the aircraft is stationary. The strictest interpretation of the rule is that everything must be collected prior to pushback. The specific rule is:

https://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v...03_033_006.htm

C. Movement on the Surface.

1) Parts 121 and 135 require that all service items (including food, beverage, tableware, beverage trays, serving carts, and movie screens) are in their stowed position for movement on the surface. If there is a question regarding the stowage of a particular item, and it must be stowed for takeoff and landing, then it must also be stowed for movement on the surface. It should be noted that air carriers may arrange to provide limited food and beverage service to its passengers when the aircraft is no longer moving on the surface (e.g., when the aircraft is stationary on a taxiway in a long queue awaiting takeoff or in the airport penalty box). In such cases, the air carrier should have specific procedures for flightcrew members and F/As to follow, including coordination and communication between the flight deck and the passenger cabin. This will ensure that these new requirements are met before aircraft movement on the surface resumes.
2) Parts 121 and 135 now require all occupants of an aircraft to be seated with their safety belts fastened during movement on the surface.
Thank you for looking up the FAR for us!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
NickP1K
I read your comments with interest and understand your point of view
I am also aware that the service you received is not typical of the overall philosophy of the airline for guests in F (the experience starts with the bedding all dumped on the seat leaving you to pick it up - this and the plastic cup for PDB on some flights in F are difficult to interpret any other way, even though you could argue this is management).
On my last flight in F the flight attendant took my G&T glass (I had asked for extra lime) and when I asked for another, returned the same glass with the watered down ice slivers and the old lime without bothering to change the glass; he also chose to omit the PDB as he was busy chatting to another FA in the galley and the flight was boarded with plenty of time; when I checked with the lead FA she said there should have been a PDB but then said or did nothing else when I told her this had been omitted)
Meals were placed with no eye contact or human interaction
Little things mean a lot
Customer focused crew anticipate YOUR needs and don't cut corners
The average non-US airline ensures you have a fine dining experience with clear product differentiation between F and J menus
To condone bad service on US airlines is enabling and the "hook" is our slavish loyalty to their FF programs
Some people save for years to have the trip of their lifetime
An increasingly prevalent culture of beholding to the whims of the FA and the poor F product by management on any particular AA flight is a source of concern

Additionally when you state "the hard product outshines anyone else" are you saying that the AA F hard product outshines that of AF La Premiere, SQ Suites and the new NH First Room?
Did my post hit a nerve or are you just combative with others posts? Your counter-comments hardly reference my post but you specifically call me out.

Before you want to rail on me some more, I'm quite aware of the SQ Suites and NH First Room. As someone who has flown SQ in premium cabins many times and NH in similar for decades including their new offering, you mistake me for someone who must not be as high brow as you. We're talking about LHR to US, you are on about a SIN and NRT/HND based airline + we'll throw in AF in CDG.

I did not experience bad service at all on my flights, I can tell you in 30+ years of flying I've had bad service on CX, SQ, QF and many others in F or J/C. Did I denote it as the norm, NO. Do I expect a good experience on a US carrier to be rare, NO. Maybe it's the attitude and tone you give off, but in all honest I can count on both hand the number of times I've had horrendous flights from a US carrier. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just not expecting a 1990 level of service from a US carrier like you seem to insist.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 5:32 am

Programs: QF P1 LTG SQ PPS IHG Diamond Elite
Thank you for sharing your point of view regarding my post. I understand how you may see things this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.