PDBs Coming Back?

Old Jun 19, 22, 2:18 pm

Programs: American Airlines, National Car Rental
Originally Posted by fastflyer View Post
CLT-MCI yesterday Noon departure. PDBs offered, open bar. The FA started by saying "Would you like something to Drink. [Pause] OJ or water?" But by the second row of seats, a presumable flyertalker smartly cut him off at the pause and requested a Gin & Tonic. All further rows got what they wanted. I didn't notice if Row one got the limited selection or not (I was in the third row)
Excellent. Anyone who passes up free alcohol in first class ought to be put on a no-fly list.
Old Jun 19, 22, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
6/17 AA 5354 GSO-DCA CRJ-700: No PDB
Old Jun 19, 22, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum, American Gold
CLT-TPA on 6/16

321. No PDB. Two FA's greeted passengers who were boarding. Shortly after the door closed the captain made welcome announcements, including that the lavatories were not working and would only work when the aircraft was above 16,000 feet. Tremendous weather delays causing us to not push back as the ramp closed. Sat on plane for almost two hours. After maybe 90 minutes there was a pass of lukewarm water in cups. At the two hour mark passengers were deplaned. At re-boarding no PDB either. Repeat of first boarding where FAs greeted passengers. One passenger did ask if the FAs were being paid during these irregular operations and she said that yes they were.

Question. Is this laziness? Is this the lavatory issue preventing service? Why during the length wait before deplaning did the crew do no service up front other than that pass of cups of water? Genuinely curious here.

Last edited by michaelaeaston; Jun 19, 22 at 4:15 pm
Old Jun 19, 22, 6:56 pm

Programs: Exec Plat; 2.7 m miles
6/17 AA3287 LAX-SJC Water only
6/19 AA4963 SCJ-LAX No PDB
Old Jun 26, 22, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, SPG LT Plat
SFO-PHX OJ/Water
PHX-PHL nada even with the flight being delayed 45 mins and being held captive on the plane.

PHL-CTL OJ/Water (barely) drink quickly t/o soon!
CTL-SFO nada. Just nothing but chatter with FA.
Old Jun 26, 22, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Globalist
DCA-BNA last night we received a full PDB in a plastic cup and it wasn't even collected before takeoff. FA really had a hard time navigating around Y pax standing in the aisle while boarding but still managed to serve all of us. Great service all around.
Old Jun 26, 22, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL PM, UA 1K, WN A-List, HH DIA, Hyatt Glob, IHG Dia-AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
6/20 AA 4713 RDU-JFK EMB-175: No PDB
6/20 AA 2249 JFK-BOS A-321T: Full PDB
Old Jun 28, 22, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM/3MM//AA EXP
6/23 SDF-CLT 170 RJ NO PDB
6/23 CLT-RDU A321 NO PDB
6/26 RDU-CLT A321 NO PDB
6/26 CLT-SDF A321 NO PDB
6/28 SDF-CLT A320 NO PDB
6/28 CLT-PBI 737 NO PDB

my recent experiences point to PDBs going away not coming back. Delta however now has consistent PDBs. How quickly things change.
Old Jun 28, 22, 10:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage
I find that PDBs are about 30% to 40% percent of the time and usually on Eagle. Mainline they're being as uncommon as an empty middle seat in coach.
Old Jun 28, 22, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, WN A-List, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My experience is 1/4 flights with AA and 5/5 on my last flights on Delta. Strangely the only time on AA I did receive a pre-departure drink was on a late flight with one young FA doing her best to get to all 20 of us on the A321 while they were still boarding.
Snuggs and on-a-stick like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, AS MVP, HH Diamond
BOS-ORD-SNA - no PDB on either leg. I think I have received 2 PDBs so far this year.
Snuggs and on-a-stick like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 5:22 am

Programs: AA exp 3mm Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
This is exactly what I do when I see the water/OJ setup I just ignore that they seem
to be offering only those choices and request what I actually want. Not perfect, but definitely over 50% success rate getting what I request.
I think your approach must have caught on. 27Jun AA2920 ORD>TPA 737-8 FA states due to blah blah blah, pdb is oj/water only I just rolled my eyes.
LowValueCustomer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Originally Posted by Snuggs View Post
I think your approach must have caught on. 27Jun AA2920 ORD>TPA 737-8 FA states due to blah blah blah, pdb is oj/water only I just rolled my eyes.
Ive hit a dry spell lately myself. Within the last week

DFW-MCI CR9 No PDBs offered. Made a very polite request to the FA (who was standing around doing nothing). She rolled her eyes and said You want water? I told her Id prefer something else. She said catering was late (it wasnt -that- late she couldve easily served the entire 9 seat cabin in the 15-20 minutes we were waiting before pushback).

She did offer a full PDB eventually but became hostile to other passengers. When they requested anything besides water (which several did), she asked them whether it would be OK to delay the takeoff to get them their drinks. People seemed confused and told her no. Then the other male Fa came to the front and made an announcement about how his lovely wife would be serving us up front. Then he walked around to each passenger and asked who the person was who told her to delay the flight in order to serve drinks. Literally no one had told her to delay the flight. He was a real jerk, and he and the wife seemed to be quite the pair!

MCI-ORD E175
No PDB, but there was a flurry of activity and panicked discussion in the front of the aircraft at the time due to us being overweight by 450-500 lbs.. The GA, forward FA, and pilots were all discussing whether to burn off the extra fuel or take two passengers off. I was in 1A and heard everything, so I didnt say anything, because they were clearly otherwise occupied. Service in the air was excellent.

ORD-BGR E175
Initially no PDB after waiting about 5-10 mins. after boarding, but when I asked, the FA smiled, asked me what I would like, open bar, and then she began serving the rest of the cabin.

I think that, for the PDB enthusiasts, it will pay to be proactive this summer.
on-a-stick and EDIwanderer like this.
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:33 pm
S80

Programs: AA EXP
Ive hit a dry spell lately myself. Within the last week

DFW-MCI CR9 No PDBs offered. Made a very polite request to the FA (who was standing around doing nothing). She rolled her eyes and said You want water? I told her Id prefer something else. She said catering was late (it wasnt -that- late she couldve easily served the entire 9 seat cabin in the 15-20 minutes we were waiting before pushback).

She did offer a full PDB eventually but became hostile to other passengers. When they requested anything besides water (which several did), she asked them whether it would be OK to delay the takeoff to get them their drinks. People seemed confused and told her no. Then the other male Fa came to the front and made an announcement about how his lovely wife would be serving us up front. Then he walked around to each passenger and asked who the person was who told her to delay the flight in order to serve drinks. Literally no one had told her to delay the flight. He was a real jerk, and he and the wife seemed to be quite the pair!
Which regional was this? I've noticed PDBs are always served on Envoy, but with Republic it can be mostly misses. (I don't fly the others enough currently to be able to comment on them specifically)
Old Jun 29, 22, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum

Truly pathetic behavior. I'd have written to AA about this. If they react this immaturely to a simple PDB request, imagine how they'd react during an actual incident.

Search this Thread