Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PDBs Coming Back? (anecdotes, experiences)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2022, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by cbrown5294
Not offering on this flight . Despite an extra 15
min wait for the captain to arrive the FA just chatting it up in F and J
So much sAAfety 🙏
Babu, platbrownguy, CLT and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:49 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Last weeks trip to Fresno...

PHX-FAT (skywest) nada
FAT-PHX (mesa) full PDB
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:24 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I think that the title of the thread is misleading. PDBs coming back implies that they were there in the first place. They were not. This service was honoured in the breach rather than the observance. Not doing it came from a refusal to do a service for which they were not paid. Apparently American pays its Flight Attendants when the wheels are up and not before. Please correct me if I am wrong. No one is the Lead FA who has authority.

Thus one is left with crew who do as they please, when they please, and if they please. Many AA crew are excellent and are an asset to the airline. Others clearly hold their company and their passengers in utter contempt. I’ve encountered this. American is not alone in this but it is punching well above the line. I have watched in wonder at crew who look as though their Significant Others had thrown their uniform at them, slouching around in crocs with hair fit for a Halloween Ball. No one cares, and American care least of all. They pay lip service and do nothing. Until the day that the Flight Attendants are told that this is part of the pre-flight service and that this will be performed in each and every flight unless serious contraints such as very late boarding and immediate departure as confirmed by the Gate Agents; this will be never ending. What on earth is to stop them coming and taking drink orders for immediate service after take off explain that time precluded doing a service on the ground? This is not rocket science, it’s called intelligent service. You get the passengers in your side and you can do what you like after that.

Anyhow, I’m not in charge of Inflight Service at AA, and it is clear that whoever is has never done the job in her/his life. I’ll be over in the US before too long and I’ll post here if you don’t mind.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:35 pm

Why are we still accepting no pre-flight beverage in Business class?

Why are more people not outraged at this?

Did not get 2 weeks ago, PHL to MIA, or MIA to PHL. even asked for a bottle of Water from MIA to PHL because there was NOTHING open in the terminal at 5am. Not even one vending machine to get water from. Zip nada. FA said he would get me water but never did until he started serving the meals. Extremely disappointed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 5, 2022 at 4:50 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 5, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by alanisrox69
Did not get 2 weeks ago, PHL to MIA, or MIA to PHL. even asked for a bottle of Water from MIA to PHL because there was NOTHING open in the terminal at 5am. Not even one vending machine to get water from. Zip nada. FA said he would get me water but never did until he started serving the meals. Extremely disappointed.
MIA to PHL? That doesn't sound like a United route. Were you connecting in EWR? I know AA suspended PDB service as a COVID measure through at least late last year so I'm wondering if this was AA.

fwiw, PDB has been offered on all of my most recent 3 United flights.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Never understood the obsession with PDB. I would far rather have something better than dog food to eat on my flight, and far rather have proper service generally, than some tap water in a plastic glass (and then a lecture about eco skies….)
JetAway and stcroixscuba like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by alanisrox69

Why are more people not outraged at this?
The truth is that I just don't care. I only care about buying a seat; the most comfortable one for the cheapest price, regardless of carrier.
FAA1996 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 7:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Sykes
MIA to PHL? That doesn't sound like a United route. ....
Confirmed this was AA with OP will moved to AA forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Apr 5, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Never understood the obsession with PDB. I would far rather have something better than dog food to eat on my flight, and far rather have proper service generally, than some tap water in a plastic glass (and then a lecture about eco skies….)
Also, they only stock like 3 single malts. If they're gone before departure, then what do I do
Microwave and _kurt like this.
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:16 pm

4/4
GNV-DFW: Full PDB offered (training flight for new attendant) Mesa
DFW-DEN: Full PDB
Old Apr 5, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I sometimes ask for water or orange juice and tell them I have to take medication; it's especially credible on a red-eye. And in that case, almost always true.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:40 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
This service was honoured in the breach rather than the observance.
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Last 2 flights ATL to MIA and return …. 1/2 … but that was only a choice of OJ or water
Old Apr 6, 2022, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
To answer the op,s question … in the current times , we are at the mercy of the airlines and more so at the mercy of the FA! S … stay quiet .. expect nothing and you will not be disappointed

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 6, 2022 at 4:05 am Reason: Fixed typo
Old Apr 6, 2022, 5:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Because AA's management doesn't consider it a priority and won't push back on the union that doesn't want flight attendants to do it for "safety reasons." So only the better flight attendants that actually care about their job and their passengers do it.

Furthermore, remember particularly for AA flying is no longer their "core business." Running a credit card mill is. AA is more focused on hawking credit cards than the passenger experience, even in the premium cabin.
Spiff, njvandy and ceebee100 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.