Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Urgent Advice Needed - Transit ICN or NRT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

Hi Flyertalkers,

I’m in transit and just received a disheartening email. I haven’t been able to find answers on my own, so I’m hoping I can find some advice or be pointed in the right direction here.

I am currently booked from VVO-ICN-DFW-SFO on an AA ticket on S7 and AA in J for this Sunday. While en route to VVO, I received an email that transit passengers would not be accepted on my S7 flight. I spoke to the transit desk here at OVB, and they informed me the direction was coming from ICN. Is this true? I haven’t seen any news that would prevent a US citizen from transiting ICN on the same ticket with less than 24 hour connection. I tried to call AA, but there is currently a four hour hold time.

in the meantime, I’ve secured NRT-LAX on a JL award booking and there is an Aeroflot flight into NRT that would give me plenty of time to connect, but it would be on two separate tickets. Am I as a US citizen able to transit NRT on two separate tickets. Is Aeroflot likely to let me board?

Meanwhile when I get a hold of AA, is there any direction I should be pointing them in to confirm my ability to transit ICN?

Many thanks in advance for all and any advice.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:53 am

Sounds odd. Airlines are still selling tickets that involves ICN transfer and I don't think there's any news article or notice from ICN airport blocking transit passengers.

According to blogs/boards, people do transfer at NRT using separate tickets without any issue as long as the first airline checks in the bag through the connecting flight. I do hope you can board S7+AA without a problem but since Aeroflot leaves earlier than S7, you may have to make a hard decision.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
As long as you can board the flight to NRT, you will more likely be fine. Even if your bag is tagged to NRT, NRT is good about pulling your bags and re-tagging them.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the helpful replies. This was the email from S7; I’m not sure why they are calling it a charter flight as it is bookable through normal channels. I have a call set up with AA for 7 PM central today, so I’ll see what they say. Given what S7 is saying and confirming from their call center, I guess the safest bet is to fly to NRT if I can.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu

Thank you for the helpful replies. This was the email from S7; I’m not sure why they are calling it a charter flight as it is bookable through normal channels. I have a call set up with AA for 7 PM central today, so I’ll see what they say. Given what S7 is saying and confirming from their call center, I guess the safest bet is to fly to NRT if I can.
I'm not sure that AA is going to be able to offer much in terms of confirming or denying the policy. It rests with S7 as they are the operating carrier.

I would sort out the NRT option ASAP.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Unless there are new regulations which haven't yet trickled their way into timatik, whoever sent you that email is either making things up or misinterpreting existing regulations.
I would suggest finding someone who is fluent in Russian and sending an email to S7 explaining your situation (US national travelling to the US via Seoul, Korea), asking to confirm what documentation is required to board S7 flight.
Contact AA - last thing you want is a NoShow and slim chances of getting a refund.
If an answer from S7 is positive, print it out and take with you to the airport. Ask for the airline representative in case check-in agent refuses to issue you a BP and show them S7 response.
Obviously arrive at the airport in plenty of time.
Finally, have you considered VVO-SVO-LAX flight instead?
Old Jan 7, 2022, 1:01 pm

multiple reports in the japan forum that separate ticket tokyo int'l transit is unofficially okay.
for NRT, it has to be sameday (no overnight)
for HND can be overnight (max of 24-72 hours depending who you talk to)

however, it's down to Aeroflot - they may deny you boarding the Russia-NRT, because technically you don't meet the entry requirements for Japan. I haven't seen any successful or failed reports for Aeroflot, mostly successful reports for UA/NH/JL separate ticket transit

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33876390-post352.html
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:49 pm

Your flight is indeed a charter flight. According to a travel agency website, S7 noticed that the flight is open only to qualified visa holders if not Korean. Regular flight that anyone can board operates only three times in January, on 1/1, 1/15, 1/29.
I'm copying the link but this website link is usually unreliable. I copied the content as well although in Korean.
https://www.topasweb.com/home/airhom...tsSeqno=936595
In case Aeroflot has the similar restriction on its NRT flight, you may want to confirm ahead..

안녕하세요,

시베리아항공 한국지사 입니다.

현재 매주 목요일/토요일/일요일 VVO-ICN-VVO 정기/비정기편을 운항하고 있으며 22년1월 정기편 안내드립니다.

1/1, 1/15, 1/29일을 제외한 VVO&OVB노선은 비정기편입니다.

비정기편은 코로나19 상황에 의해, 추후 취소될 가능성이 있으며 입국편 승객 탑승 제한이(한국인 제외, 외국인) 있습니다.

모든 노선 (VVO-ICN, OVB-ICN) 비정기편 인바운드편은:

내국인(재외국민), 결혼이민 비자(F-6) 및 내국인의 미성년 자녀, 영주(F-5), 한국으로 부임하는 외교, 공무 목적 A-1 및 A-2 비자 소지자 (해당 비자를 소지한 동반가족 포함)으로 한정됩니다.

만약, 위에 명시되어 있지 않은 비자를 소지한 한국인 제외, 외국인 및 러시아국적이 탑승할 경우, 반드시 정기편을 통해서만 들어와야 하니 이 점 참고 부탁드립니다.

예를들어 DME-OVB-ICN 구간을 탑승하는 러시아 국적 F-4 비자 소지자는 OVB-ICN 구간이 비정기편이기 때문에 탑승이 불가능하며, OVB-VVO-ICN(1월 정기편 이용)로 입국해야 합니다.

감사합니다.

[email protected]
Kacee likes this.

Last edited by bobbybrown; Jan 7, 2022 at 5:55 pm
Old Jan 7, 2022, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bobbybrown
Your flight is indeed a charter flight. According to a travel agency website, S7 noticed that the flight is open only to qualified visa holders if not Korean. Regular flight that anyone can board operates only three times in January, on 1/1, 1/15, 1/29.
I'm copying the link but this website link is usually unreliable. I copied the content as well although in Korean.
https://www.topasweb.com/home/airhom...tsSeqno=936595
In case Aeroflot has the similar restriction on its NRT flight, you may want to confirm ahead..

안녕하세요,

시베리아항공 한국지사 입니다.

현재 매주 목요일/토요일/일요일 VVO-ICN-VVO 정기/비정기편을 운항하고 있으며 22년1월 정기편 안내드립니다.

1/1, 1/15, 1/29일을 제외한 VVO&OVB노선은 비정기편입니다.

비정기편은 코로나19 상황에 의해, 추후 취소될 가능성이 있으며 입국편 승객 탑승 제한이(한국인 제외, 외국인) 있습니다.

모든 노선 (VVO-ICN, OVB-ICN) 비정기편 인바운드편은:

내국인(재외국민), 결혼이민 비자(F-6) 및 내국인의 미성년 자녀, 영주(F-5), 한국으로 부임하는 외교, 공무 목적 A-1 및 A-2 비자 소지자 (해당 비자를 소지한 동반가족 포함)으로 한정됩니다.

만약, 위에 명시되어 있지 않은 비자를 소지한 한국인 제외, 외국인 및 러시아국적이 탑승할 경우, 반드시 정기편을 통해서만 들어와야 하니 이 점 참고 부탁드립니다.

예를들어 DME-OVB-ICN 구간을 탑승하는 러시아 국적 F-4 비자 소지자는 OVB-ICN 구간이 비정기편이기 때문에 탑승이 불가능하며, OVB-VVO-ICN(1월 정기편 이용)로 입국해야 합니다.

감사합니다.

[email protected]
bobbybrown

Thank you for finding this! Crazy that the ticket is bookable normally and AA was able to put me on the flight without any issues or warnings. So, I now have a plan of attack: !) Call Aeroflot to confirm VVO-NRT is not a charter flight; 2) call S7 to be absolutely sure they won't let me board, and if not, cancel my ticket through AA; 3) show up to VVO early enough tomorrow (Sunday) to catch the 9:20AM VVO-SVO-JFK flight if they don't let us check in for NRT.

What a nightmare, but thanks for all of your help.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Happy ending update (knock on wood): was able to get in touch with AA (8 minute wait time), and they rebooked us on the Aeroflot flight to JAL no problem. Thanks AA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.