FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA to LGA on 7 January 2022 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2064542-aa-lga-7-january-2022-a.html)

enviroian Jan 6, 2022 5:02 pm

AA to LGA on 7 January 2022

I have a weekend booked to NYC tomorrow. Weather says 3-6" tomorrow for NYC. Would you cancel ticket? What are the chances my flight is going to be delayed or canceled I wonder.

guv1976 Jan 6, 2022 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33878309)
I have a weekend booked to NYC tomorrow. Weather says 3-6" tomorrow for NYC. Would you cancel ticket? What are the chances my flight is going to be delayed or canceled I wonder.

Do you have a hotel booked? If so, what's the cancellation deadline?

enviroian Jan 6, 2022 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 33878311)
Do you have a hotel booked? If so, what's the cancellation deadline?

Yes. The Distrikt hotel tapestry collection. Deadline to cancel is midnight tonight. However if I wait until tomorrow they would normally extend a diamond a late cancellation courtesy especially if due to wx.

guv1976 Jan 6, 2022 5:19 pm

Delays into LGA would not be unusual due to a snowstorm. Cancellations are harder to predict. The forecast says that the snow is expected to taper off Friday morning between 9 am and 11 am. Public schools will be open.

Two of tomorrow's AA DFW-LGA nonstops have already been cancelled, but that might be unrelated to weather.

mvoight Jan 6, 2022 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33878309)

Reminds me of an early January trip a few years ago for a 12 day cruise out of NYC. Flying to JFK, possibly from LAX. Flight got diverted to DC (IAD, I think)
3 hour wait for luggage, then 5 hour bus ride to JFK, then the longest taxi line I ever saw for us to go to our hotel in Manhattan
Almost as bad as a drive on I-95 thru Virginia

lrdpenn Jan 6, 2022 5:53 pm

I would not cancel but likely some delays with snow through the NE corridor. The forecast does not seem that bad.

The flight might not be elite heavy (my general impression of AA in NYC + omicron) making it easy to be at the top of the re-accommodation list if cancelled. Right now LAX-JFK is clearing at T-100 hours for me and that's one of the tougher NYC routes (comparison: in November I was typically #2-4). You might be well protected if needed.

I think right now you'd have a greater chance of UA breaking your weekend in sunny weather than AA with a few inches of snow

enviroian Jan 6, 2022 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lrdpenn (Post 33878435)
I would not cancel but likely some delays with snow through the NE corridor. The forecast does not seem that bad.

The flight might not be elite heavy (my general impression of AA in NYC + omicron) making it easy to be at the top of the re-accommodation list if cancelled. Right now LAX-JFK is clearing at T-100 hours for me and that's one of the tougher NYC routes (comparison: in November I was typically #2-4). You might be well protected if needed.

I think right now you'd have a greater chance of UA breaking your weekend in sunny weather than AA with a few inches of snow

well I cleared at the 96 hour for both legs. I’m only one of two in F outbound and only one in F on Sunday’s return.

since I can literally cancel my AA ticket at the last minute before departure (right?) I’m probably going to cancel my hotel since if I need to rebook at this property it shouldn’t be a problem or getting a room at a nearby property.

that’s my logic at least. If it’s flawed and I need to knock back some of AA’s harvest salad, just tell me.

guv1976 Jan 6, 2022 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33878492)
well I cleared at the 96 hour for both legs. I’m only one of two in F outbound and only one in F on Sunday’s return.

since I can literally cancel my AA ticket at the last minute before departure (right?) I’m probably going to cancel my hotel since if I need to rebook at this property it shouldn’t be a problem or getting a room at a nearby property.

that’s my logic at least. If it’s flawed and I need to knock back some of AA’s harvest salad, just tell me.

If you can secure the same -- or a comparable -- hotel for no more than your present room rate, I'd say that that's a good plan.

vasantn Jan 6, 2022 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33878317)
Yes. The Distrikt hotel tapestry collection. Deadline to cancel is midnight tonight. However if I wait until tomorrow they would normally extend a diamond a late cancellation courtesy especially if due to wx.

So what have you planned to do? Have you spent a lot of time in New York previously?

A321T Jan 6, 2022 7:11 pm

YMMV but I've flown into and out of JFK/LGA in what felt like blizzards, and shocked that they just nonchallantly de-icy and take off :cool:. The delays and reduced runway space might mean they have to prioritize which flights get to go, and I've felt lucky to be on transcends that seemed to always get prioritized. Personally I'd be more worried about getting from the airport to the hotel given there's no AirTrain/subway from LGA. Though if you survive that, it'll all be clear by noon.

enviroian Jan 6, 2022 7:23 pm

comments/data points:

I plan to see art and history museums. I also want to try local bars and eat great pie. That’s my thing.

F cabins are now just about full on our and in flights.

my all in per night at this property is $160

I plan to take Lyft to hotel from LGA. My flight is due to arrive at LGA at 7:59 PM.

AA said I can cancel up until right before departure to get credit “but please let us know as soon as possible”.

guv1976 Jan 6, 2022 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 33878637)
comments/data points:

I plan to see art and history museums. I also want to try local bars and eat great pie. That’s my thing.

Don't forget to bring your CDC card -- or other acceptable proof of vaccination -- showing at least two doses of vaccine. You'll need that proof to get into restaurants, bars, and museums in NYC. Details here:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...-keytonyc.page

enviroian Jan 6, 2022 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 (Post 33878678)
Don't forget to bring your CDC card -- or other acceptable proof of vaccination -- showing at least two doses of vaccine. You'll need that proof to get into restaurants, bars, and museums in NYC. Details here:

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/...-keytonyc.page

triple moderna jabbed and yes CDC card in wallet.

thanks 🙏

guv1976 Jan 6, 2022 7:55 pm

If you decide to try the pizzeria I recommended in your other thread, it's just a twelve-minute walk down Eighth Avenue from your hotel.

Coincidentally, I recently came across this (pre-pandemic) interview of the proprietor, Joe Riggio, conducted by the founders of Ooni. If you're interested, here's the link:

[Url]

unfrequentflyer Jan 6, 2022 8:03 pm

I flew out from JFK in 2.5 feet of snow. No big deal.