Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Gate Agent Gave Away My Seat … what to do?

Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I redeemed BA Avios to fly AA first class. Due to unforeseen circumstances at the airport, we had to run to the connecting gate and made it right before the agent closed the door.

The Gate Agent said there were only Main Cabin seats available. She assumed we weren’t going to show up and processed upgrades.

The other option was to wait several hours for confirmed F seats.

What options do I have? I’m kind of annoyed because I wasted my Avios and paid for J, but flew in Y.

Thank you

Last edited by coltonatx; Jan 2, 2022 at 5:47 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by coltonatx
Due to unforeseen circumstances at the airport, we had to run to the connecting gate and made it right before the agent closed the door.
Can you elaborate?

Routing?
Antarius likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Were you at the gate < 15 mins before departure? If not, then the GA has the right to offload you as a no show. Unfortunate, but that's the rule.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Can you elaborate?

Routing?
delayed incoming flight and that turned into a very short connection. We had just over an hour to clear immigration, customs and security. Luckily, we didn’t check bags and used Global Entry
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Were you at the gate < 15 mins before departure? If not, then the GA has the right to offload you as a no show. Unfortunate, but that's the rule.
yes, we were. The flight was not completely full so the agent was done boarding early. They made a last call as we approached the gate
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delayed incoming flight and that turned into a very short connection. We had just over an hour to clear immigration, customs and security. Luckily, we didn’t check bags and used Global Entry
How long was your original connection window? Again, routing helps please.
wackyducky likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

yes, we were. The flight was not completely full so the agent was done boarding early. They made a last call as we approached the gate
Did you tell the agent you were within the legal boarding time limits and can I get my seat back? If there were shenanigans involved here all the details help.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:18 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
Originally Posted by enviroian
Did you tell the agent you were within the legal boarding time limits and can I get my seat back? If there were shenanigans involved here all the details help.
No shenanigans, OP showed up late.
LoungeLizardHugo likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Since BA Avios tickets are by segment, just call BA and request the difference in miles to be refunded. It helps to have some proof that you actually traveled in coach.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:50 pm

Depending on the route this might this classify as an involuntary downgrade under EU261? If so the OP should get compensation. Definitely need more details on route etc.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Need to be precise here. < 15 minutes means less than 15 minutes, and if that’s the case you missed the cutoff and your seat was in danger of being busted. If you were there at least 15 minutes before departure, the GA jumped the gun and should have un-upgraded.

I’m assuming it’s too late at this point to do anything but ask for your refund, which will be prorated, and possibly some Avios/voucher on top of that.

I don’t know enough about the UK rules (which apply now instead of EC 261 but are functionally similar) to speak to whether you’re owed anything under that as the flight for which you were downgraded was US domestic, though part of a broader journey originating in the UK.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, United, Delta ex-status
I redeemed BA Avios to fly AA first class. Due to unforeseen circumstances at the airport, we had to run to the connecting gate and made it right before the agent closed the door.

The Gate Agent said there were only Main Cabin seats available. She assumed we weren’t going to show up and processed upgrades.

The other option was to wait 12 hours with confirmed F seating.

What options do I have? I’m kind of annoyed because I wasted my Avios and paid for J, but flew in Y.

Thank you
Save your boarding passes. Take pictures of your boarding passes. Mail home copies of your boarding passes so you don't lose them.

Not that I have a clue how their process works, but your hope now is a points adjustment from BA based on cabin actually seated in. The plane has flown. What could American do at this point? Hopefully BA will give a refund based on being seated in a lower class of cabin.

(It helps to mention dates, routes, and flight numbers. Some people can pull information, or they were in the same airport at the same time. Or on your flight).

Last edited by jayer; Jan 2, 2022 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK

I Missed My Flight...what to do?

There, fixed it for you.
FAA1996 and LoungeLizardHugo like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by BlooJoo

I Missed My Flight...what to do?

There, fixed it for you.
not applicable as he was there at the gate in time to board at the rear of the airplane
Spiff, ksucats, polinka and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
The AAgent was probably reasonable to assume you wouldn't make it and if you arrived at the gate with less than 15 minutes remaining there is little you can do. Technically, you could have been denied boarding altogether but fortunately you weren't. Hopefully you'll at least get some points back. These days AA in Y is a very spartan experience.

I've also been hit with the "we didn't think you'd make it so we have away your F seat" thing and also have faced long potential waits for an F seat because most later flights already had full F cabins. One of my many gripes about AA is their aggressive filling of the F cabin with upgrades at T-24 or before, so if you've paid for an F seat and are subject to some sort of IRROPs you usually have few if any options to stay in the front cabin. And even fewer if there are two of you.
MarkOK likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.