Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by wrp96
Espagnole is one of the five mother sauces of French cuisine, so I suspect it's supposed to be something resembling that and not something Spanish or "Spanish" knowing AA catering.
Got it! Have no knowledge of French sauces, except au poivre, which is a godsend. I think I'm going to try it next week, what the heck.
wrp96, BWISkyGuy and keyw like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
In a post a month or so back (I couldn’t locate it to direct reply) someone posed the question of whether the Hindu and diabetic special meals are hot or not. I flew PHL-MIA and MIA-PHL earlier this week having pre-ordered the Hindu meal on the way down and the diabetic meal on the way back. Both meals were COLD (so I declined both, opting for fruit and cheese on the way down and sleep on the way back thanks to lie flat seats on the 787). Speaking with the lead F/A on the way down, he said that the special meals are only served hot IF the route is otherwise a hot meal flight. It seems that some in this forum have reported scoring a hot meal in instances where it was not a 1,500+ mile “hot meal flight”, but according to the F/A I spoke with, that’s the exception, not the rule. Suffice to say, my dissatisfaction with the hideous catering (no hot meals) on flights under 1,500 miles continues unabated.
Originally Posted by safari ari
I've had inconsistent experience just in the last week, I received a hot diabetic meal on my ORD-DEN flight, just a week ago and posted upthread. I was the only person to receive a hot meal on that flight though, as the other two options for the 900 mile flight were cold. But on this weeks DEN-CLT, I received a cold diabetic meal on a decently longer flight.
Diabetic special meal on a recent DCA-DFW dinner flight was hot - chicken breast served with carrots and some sort of (I think) polenta cake on the main, heated dish with a little aluminum foil ramekin of brown gravy. Accompanied by very small salad, oil and vinaigrette dressing in a tiny plastic bottle; roll (cold, sealed in plastic) and margarine; and prepackaged chocolate chip cookies (gluten free?) for dessert.

Is it possible that the discrepancy in whether special meals are hot or cold relates to lunch vs. dinner?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
AA 2772
JFK-AUS
Dinner
- Asian Vegetarian meal

It was served in two courses. The first was a nicely sized chickpea salad. I thought that was the meal and was pretty disappointed. Then the FA asked for the salad plate so he could serve the entrée. Everything was delicious. It came with baklava for dessert but I also got a cup of Haagen Dazs.

The regular meal was a choice of a decent looking lasagna or the ubiquitous chicken + twice baked potato thing, accompanied by a caprese salad and green salad.

chrisny2 and joepa26 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 11:40 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by Stripe
AA 2772
JFK-AUS
Dinner
- Asian Vegetarian meal

It was served in two courses. The first was a nicely sized chickpea salad. I thought that was the meal and was pretty disappointed. Then the FA asked for the salad plate so he could serve the entrée. Everything was delicious. It came with baklava for dessert but I also got a cup of Haagen Dazs.

The regular meal was a choice of a decent looking lasagna or the ubiquitous chicken + twice baked potato thing, accompanied by a caprese salad and green salad.

Asian Veg out of JFK consistently solid. That chickpea app is the same for premium Transcon. Usually might get some naan too and on the transcon some galub jamun. Still that looks good, or maybe not looks but I know it tastes good. Just dont expect anything close to that for Asian Veg out of LAX (was given rice & fruit last month)
Old Aug 26, 2022, 12:38 am

Programs: AA PLAT
AA 382
LAX-BOS
A321T Flagship Business

Was originally booked on the Redeye (got canceled) which had the same menu as the afternoon flight.

Beet and goat cheese timbale

other dessert choices were the lemon tart or fruit and cheese plate

Cookie service 1 hour before landing
ryanbriar, joepa26 and rt23456p like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
While not a bad tasting meal at all, this is the same menu thats been on transcon J since February. Kinda wish AA would change it up a bit
Old Aug 26, 2022, 1:16 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Got it! Have no knowledge of French sauces, except au poivre, which is a godsend. I think I'm going to try it next week, what the heck.
Just so that you have an idea what it should resemble:

Espagnole Sauce
Ingredients

Makes about 2 2/3 cups

1 small carrot, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups hot beef stock or reconstituted beef-veal demi-glace concentrate*
1/4 cup canned tomato purée
2 large garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
1 celery rib, coarsely chopped
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
ryanbriar and BlooJoo like this.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Herb687
Diabetic special meal on a recent DCA-DFW dinner flight was hot - chicken breast served with carrots and some sort of (I think) polenta cake on the main, heated dish with a little aluminum foil ramekin of brown gravy. Accompanied by very small salad, oil and vinaigrette dressing in a tiny plastic bottle; roll (cold, sealed in plastic) and margarine; and prepackaged chocolate chip cookies (gluten free?) for dessert.

Is it possible that the discrepancy in whether special meals are hot or cold relates to lunch vs. dinner?
Had the same diabetic meal from ORD-MCO and MCO-LAX, both served hot and had more protein than regular options.

MCO-LAX had hot towels, warmed nuts, sundae/brownie + ice cream/fruit and cheese plate options for dessert and also a snack basket prior to landing.
Old Aug 26, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Herb687

Lol are we going to have to start ordering the diabetic meal to get decent food on AA
Old Aug 27, 2022, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
AA 1492 PHL-DEN 2033-2237 A-321

Full PDB

Choice of the vegetarian grain bowl (bleh) or a short rib. This was actually very good especially with the shrimp. Sadly no dessert ("catering" was blamed) though they did dig up some Biscoff for us when we asked.
I was on a ORD-LAX last night and since it was scheduled to leave at 8:20pm I figured that we would be getting a "snack". I almost grabbed something to eat at the airport. Surprise! PDB of our choice, drinks and nuts appeared shortly after takeoff. Warmed nut quality seems to have deteriorated...nuts are tiny and mostly halves--not many cashews or pistachios. Hot towel. FA took orders from the back and it seemed that every entree was available to everyone. I had the short rib pictured above (other choice was grain bowl). I thought the mac & cheese and short rib were very good. Shrimp served on a bed of cole slaw seemed like an odd combo to me but the cole slaw would have been good if the cabbage wasn't in such big slabs. I really like the ciabatta roll (and bread basket with warmed breads appeared twice). I could kind of see the galley from my seat and was excited at what I thought was ice cream being readied. Wah, wah....it turned out to be a little carton of raspberry sorbet which was so so but needed a cookie or some topping. Other choice was a vey skimpy cheese and fruit plate.
Best service that I can remember....outstanding FA. He constantly was refilling water and wine (poured from the bottle) and checking to see if we needed anything. Professional, friendly, and called us by name and thanked us for being frequent fliers---very sincere. When he took dinner orders he described each dish in great detail to each passenger. This guy did not sit down until he was satisfied that no one wanted a thing and even then made a couple trips through the cabin (lights were all off and most people were sleeping). When I went to use the restroom he even asked if he could bring me something else. I wish I caught his name (he did tell us but I couldn't read his name tag) and I did write an email to AA--hopefully they can figure it out & acknowledge him.
wrp96, BlooJoo, keyw and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
BOS-LAX 6 am in F

Outstanding service this morning from the purser / F FA. Very focused on personalized service (e.g., dine on demand to allow folks to sleep) and was constantly checking the cabin. An example of why F > J on these transcon flights. We were also fully catered, which was a nice change of pace.

PDB choices were the usual suspects, but with actual glassware.

Juice and nuts offered. There was also a hot towel.

Fruit to start. Multiple rounds of bread offered.

Went with the American breakfast. I don’t normally go for it, but wanted something hot. The eggs were actually pretty good.

Cheese plate.

Also had an espresso before we landed.
cmd320, BlooJoo and madmanshoney like this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Lol are we going to have to start ordering the diabetic meal to get decent food on AA
Well, we've ordered a kosher meal and a hindu meal for our upcoming DFW-LGA flight. Don't want either a cold salad or hot croissant so special meals seem to be the only solution. Will report back.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Now I'm torn between trying the Chicken Espagnole or the Diabetic Meal on JFK-PHX next week.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
8/27/22, DFW-CMH, 5:30 pm departure

Southwestern Shrimp Salad or Vegetarian cheese and hummus croissant. Of course, served with the salad, there is another orzo salad. The croissant did not look appetizing.

ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2022, 8:02 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
Totally average flight on AA300 last night. The purser was very nice and provided solid service, but the food just wasn’t anything to write home about.

The prawn starter was pretty uninspiring. It was literally a shrimp cocktail. The salad was actually really tasty, though. The soup was much smaller than I remember from my last JFK-LAX F flight and lacked any depth or flavor. The beef was pretty poor. It tasted like beef jerky with a very strong spice flavor. It was cooked well but really dissapointing overall. The potatoes were even worse. Totally undercooked and flavorless. I could manage one bite before I realized how foul it was. The carrots were delicious, though.

As for the dessert, the sunday hit the spot. This was actually my first AA sundae and I can definitely see why it’s so popular. The cheese plate on the other hand was a total joke. The most boring cheeses accounting for probably 20% of the food on the plate.

All in all, a significant decline from my experience flying this product this past January.

ryanbriar, cmd320 and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.