Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
What is the reasoning for this besides being cheap? Many of these flights are around 3 hours on the higher end of the mileage count, and that is more than enough time to heat a meal. I also think that if AA won't provide hot meals on this route, they should not provide them to cockpit crew (if their contract allows it, so should the paying pax). On a 900 mile flight, there is plenty of time to serve a hot meal, too.
Not sure why you might want to potentially penalize the cockpit crew for the company's "neglect" of the passengers. This may be the second of three segments for that crew on a particular day, and this may be the one with the meal.
CMK10, chrisny2, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ryanbriar
The pretzel roll is pictured. See if you can find it.
Above the main dish?
ryanbriar likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:29 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
When does the option for a special meal kick in? Im on a 1,475 mile flight next week, and it's just Greek salad or turkey sandwich. Would I be right in saying it has to be 1,500 miles? Was going to order a diabetic meal, but no luck.
I've received special meals on shorter flights, 901 ORD-DEN and CLT-DEN ~1350. Could just be a catering issue?
wrp96 and keyw like this.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
In a post a month or so back (I couldn’t locate it to direct reply) someone posed the question of whether the Hindu and diabetic special meals are hot or not. I flew PHL-MIA and MIA-PHL earlier this week having pre-ordered the Hindu meal on the way down and the diabetic meal on the way back. Both meals were COLD (so I declined both, opting for fruit and cheese on the way down and sleep on the way back thanks to lie flat seats on the 787). Speaking with the lead F/A on the way down, he said that the special meals are only served hot IF the route is otherwise a hot meal flight. It seems that some in this forum have reported scoring a hot meal in instances where it was not a 1,500+ mile “hot meal flight”, but according to the F/A I spoke with, that’s the exception, not the rule. Suffice to say, my dissatisfaction with the hideous catering (no hot meals) on flights under 1,500 miles continues unabated.
I've had inconsistent experience just in the last week, I received a hot diabetic meal on my ORD-DEN flight, just a week ago and posted upthread. I was the only person to receive a hot meal on that flight though, as the other two options for the 900 mile flight were cold. But on this weeks DEN-CLT, I received a cold diabetic meal on a decently longer flight.
Old Aug 20, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
What is the reasoning for this besides being cheap? Many of these flights are around 3 hours on the higher end of the mileage count, and that is more than enough time to heat a meal. I also think that if AA won't provide hot meals on this route, they should not provide them to cockpit crew (if their contract allows it, so should the paying pax). On a 900 mile flight, there is plenty of time to serve a hot meal, too.
Lol, I've read my share of ridiculous things on Flyer Talk, but this may take the cake. Quite often, this is the only meal we get during the entire day. Do you want your pilots fatigued from lack of food, while flying you?
CMK10, AAway, roadtriper and 2 others like this.

Last edited by 757FO; Aug 20, 2022 at 11:06 am Reason: Typo
Old Aug 20, 2022, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by 757FO
Lol, I've read my share of ridiculous things on Flyer Talk, but this may take the cake. Quite often, this is the only meal we get during the entire day. Do you want your pilots fatigued from lack of food, while flying you?
Yes snack basket only
wrp96 and 757FO like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 12:55 am
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Poland. Probably Lichtenstein, if I had to guess. Other Central/Eastern European countries.
But are we talking scrambled eggs or a hard boiled egg?
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by safari ari
I've received special meals on shorter flights, 901 ORD-DEN and CLT-DEN ~1350. Could just be a catering issue?
I pre-ordered Asian veg in DEN-ORD, which is very likely the shortest flight in the network that offers meal service.

I also have flights next week DCA-MIA-DCA and was able to pre-order. Going to try diabetic.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:20 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by 757FO
I don't think the point was that pilots should be punished. The point was the inconsistency between what the crew gets and what the pax get. A 900 mile flight is obviously not too short to heat a meal, since they managed just fine pre-Covid. And managed just fine on even shorter routes pre-merger. One assumes AA saves a few pennies by offering just the cold meals. Frankly I was happier with the bagged sandwich and cookie "snack" service we got before they reinstated regular "meal" service. Yes, they did get tiring if you flew regularly but the quality was decent and you didn't starve.
SkyTeam777 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Stripe
I don't think the point was that pilots should be punished. The point was the inconsistency between what the crew gets and what the pax get. A 900 mile flight is obviously not too short to heat a meal, since they managed just fine pre-Covid. And managed just fine on even shorter routes pre-merger. One assumes AA saves a few pennies by offering just the cold meals. Frankly I was happier with the bagged sandwich and cookie "snack" service we got before they reinstated regular "meal" service. Yes, they did get tiring if you flew regularly but the quality was decent and you didn't starve.
And yet on some flights, the passengers get a three or four course meal plated on china, and the crew gets a one tray meal. Inconsistent, yet irrelevant.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And yet on some flights, the passengers get a three or four course meal plated on china, and the crew gets a one tray meal. Inconsistent, yet irrelevant.
That's typically how it goes in every industry everywhere. Paying customers get the nicer stuff.
​​​
​​​​​
SkyTeam777 and SeatOfMyPants like this.
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Antarius
That's typically how it goes in every industry everywhere. Paying customers get the nicer stuff.​​​​​
Except on AA domestic flights
Old Aug 21, 2022, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
PHX-BOS #2763 (4 PM Departure):

A water PDB was offered towards the tail end of boarding. No menus (I believe I saw them posted on a recent BOS-PHX or PHL-PHX flight). FA was great, but wrapped dessert over Chicago. We also ran out of red wine This was a first for me, even going back to the LUS days where the FAs would seemingly be pouring everyone a glass of red on a Friday shuttle or CLT-BOS flight.

I pre-ordered the chicken; SO pre-ordered the pasta - apologies no descriptions as I banked on a menu.

Chicken was pretty good. Basically chicken franchise without the linguine. No choice of roll, and I had no idea what the side to the salad was.

Had a few bites of the pasta and it was tasty.

Ice cream soup.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 3:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Anyone had an Asian Veg out of MIA? Be for the 77W Transcon if that matters... Nothing at all exciting for the options.. That rotolo pasta is once again the Veg option.. Asian Veg has been good out of JFK but bad out of LAX but never had it from MIA.

Be curious too on the Hindu meal.. Love Indian food so that aspect would be great however dont eat red meat and I feel like there is a good chance it could be lamb. So I guess that leaves me with the horrible chicken cacciatore, the average at best rotolo w/ that sub par red sauce or just go for the Asian Veg.. Bummed there is no fish option.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Just adding a note for anyone else interested as i couldnt find much info.

I flew HNL-LAX on AA298 (22.10 departure) last week and was not expecting a meal, from reading this thread and there being no online selection available. A full meal service was offered(short rib or veg lasagne mains) and Sundaes served. A Pleasant surprise.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.