Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2022 AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Just upgraded to first class on AUS-CLT flight on April 3... I'm not really familiar with AA products/services but I searched this thread for meals on that route and couldn't locate anything. Does anyone know if a meal will be offered? Per AA website looks like meal should be offered during "meal times" on flights over 900 miles. Could not find what constitutes meal times. Flight departs at 4:05pm, it's 2 hr 41 min travel time, and 1032 miles. Any information is much appreciated!
Old Mar 27, 2022, 11:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Just upgraded to first class on AUS-CLT flight on April 3... I'm not really familiar with AA products/services but I searched this thread for meals on that route and couldn't locate anything. Does anyone know if a meal will be offered? Per AA website looks like meal should be offered during "meal times" on flights over 900 miles. Could not find what constitutes meal times. Flight departs at 4:05pm, it's 2 hr 41 min travel time, and 1032 miles. Any information is much appreciated!
You will likely receive either the charcuterie plate / chicken salad, or the hummus sandwich / something that escapes me.
CIAO LAX likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 5:11 pm

Apologies for the lack of photos but I can share my recent experiences from my first two 1800+ mile flights since hot meals are back.

AA 2663 PHL-SFO:

First of all, I need to contextualize my disappointment. I was booked to fly DCA-JFK-SFO in Flagship Business and had preordered my favorite fish to eat in the air, AA's sea bass with asian soy glaze. However, my inbound was 2 hours late so I lost my connection, and the AC agent in DCA rebooked me DCA-PHL-SFO in economy (middle seat too) insisting that was all that's left and even if I waited until the next day (at my own expense) they couldn't get me on another Flagship flight in the morning. However, she did boost me to the top of the upgrade list and thankfully I at least ended up in First on the 321NEO (still a huge downgrade for me because I cannot sleep sitting up and was really counting on the extra sleep). As I mentioned in the PDB thread, no PDB was offered, perhaps because we boarded about 20 minutes late due to late inbound crew in PHL. However, we sat on the tarmac about an hour because of a ground stop just as we were about to take off, and even after take off, we did not get even the first drink service for an hour since there was turbulence at the beginning. When we finally did get service, 2 hours and 15 minutes after scheduled take off, we got warm nuts which was nice. However, I was disappointed to find out both meal choices were beef, given I only eat red meat about 5 times per year. The choices were beef short rib or lasagna; given all the hype on FT about it, i decided to try the short rib. The appetizer was the cold shrimp appetizer which was quite tasty (AA does seafood pretty well compared to other airlines), which was accompanied by a salad which looked similar to the international economy garden salads (complete with the vinaigrette cup). Then came the main course; personally, I found the short rib to be pretty bad; the meat was tender but not seasoned at all, but again I'm not a super carnivore; if you're someone who loves the taste of beef alone you probably would have liked it. I will say that having warm rolls back with dinner was very nice though. Dessert however was by far the most disappointing aspect; the choice was a tiny cup of Haagen Daas vanilla ice cream or a plate of two pieces of cheese and about 8 grapes. On top of that, the meal service ended halfway through the flight, so even if I wanted to sleep there was simply no time. I don't hold AA totally responsible for this as there was weather, but I feel the crew could have sped things up to make up time (I was sitting with my empty tray for a long time after the main, for example).

AA 2614- SFO-ORD:

Excellent flight this time, with perfect service. PDB was full open bar but I just took coffee given the early nature of the flight (5:15 departure). Breakfast service began nearly instantly after takeoff, with another round of drinks and our orders taken almost immediately. The options were a swiss cheese omelet with sausage and potatoes or a fruit plate. I took the fruit plate because I had eaten a large dinner the night before, which was excellent. The fruit was very fresh and tasty and came with yogurt, granola, and a choice of bread, from which I took a warm biscuit with butter and jam. It was exactly what I needed at the time, but my seatmate got the omelet and it looked amazing as well, albeit huge. The FAs were proactive afterward about clearing trays and offered drinks regularly. Great crew (Chicago-based so no surprise there) and definitely the best AA flight thus far this year.

All of this is probably pretty normal but being based at ORD, 1800+ miles are fairly rare this year, so thought I'd share so others know what's out there. Apologies for so much detail.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
LAX-PHL, A321NEO, 03/27/2022, 3:45PM departure on domestic F

Streak continues because this one was a great flight. FA were great, constantly walking around, and keep drinks topped off. PDB were served in plastic cups and done when coach pax were coming in, they got only the first few rows before takeoff, but it was much appreciated none the less. Dinner options were vegetarian tortellini or herb chicken with baked potato. Beverage service came around again, glassware this time, with warm nuts on a very hot plate. Desert was chocolate chip ice cream or a cheese plate, much better than the sorbet last time.

Went with the chicken and it wasn't very good. Meat, potato, and sauce were bland but it was warm. Side salad was fresh and the arugula with prosciutto was nice. FA came soon after with a tray of warm bread. Silverware instead of plastic.

Came with silverware so you don't need to use the crappy lid spoon!

Overall, meal was OK, but FA were top notch so I'd rate it as one of my better flights.
Old Mar 28, 2022, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
Apologies for the lack of photos but I can share my recent experiences from my first two 1800+ mile flights since hot meals are back.

AA 2663 PHL-SFO:

First of all, I need to contextualize my disappointment. I was booked to fly DCA-JFK-SFO in Flagship Business and had preordered my favorite fish to eat in the air, AA's sea bass with asian soy glaze. However, my inbound was 2 hours late so I lost my connection, and the AC agent in DCA rebooked me DCA-PHL-SFO in economy (middle seat too) insisting that was all that's left and even if I waited until the next day (at my own expense) they couldn't get me on another Flagship flight in the morning. However, she did boost me to the top of the upgrade list and thankfully I at least ended up in First on the 321NEO (still a huge downgrade for me because I cannot sleep sitting up and was really counting on the extra sleep).
That sucks because the A321T's and FFL's are one of AA's strengths, real premium products, so you basically missed out on both ends having to reroute through PHL. I've done LAX-JFK just to take the Flagship product and driven down to southern NJ instead of flying into PHL, and if it wasn't for the ~2 hour drive, I'd take that more often.
FlyFreakquently likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:02 am

AA BWI MIA First 3/28/2022

Lunch service. Choice between this deli style plate or the hummus and pepper sandwich. Great service by this MIA based crew.
chrisny2 and skylady like this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Raralith
That sucks because the A321T's and FFL's are one of AA's strengths, real premium products, so you basically missed out on both ends having to reroute through PHL. I've done LAX-JFK just to take the Flagship product and driven down to southern NJ instead of flying into PHL, and if it wasn't for the ~2 hour drive, I'd take that more often.
Agreed; in addition, missing out on the Flagship Lounge is a pretty huge downgrade. I do have Amex Platinum so I got to at least eat at the Centurion in PHL but if I hadn't, going from Flagship Lounge to no lounge access would have been awful.
Spanish likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 10:53 am
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Didn't take photos, but had a surprisingly great meal service LAX-BOS earlier in the week in J. Daytime flight so lunch/dinner. Pre-order was available:

I ordered the artichoke ravioli and found it great. The full meal setup is quite good, back to 3-course service. Overall, service onboard was on par with the best of AA.

Beyond meal service, we need to have a conversation: what has happened to their supposed cleaning protocols and, further, cabin maintenance? The inbound aircraft arrived on-time from JFK and had 90 minutes on the ground, so I do believe cleaners had sufficient time to clean had they wished. They clearly did not wish, however, as my seat was filthy. There was beard stubble on the cubby where water and amenity kit are stored. Was someone shaving with an electric razer? Seems likely. The tray table was sticky. Across the aisle, a kind woman - who confessed she's not particularly germophobic - had to ask for towels from the cabin crew. There were crumbs, spilled beverage and trash in the seat. Furthermore, several of the seats in F as I walked by were taped up with duct tape.

These are indeed first world problems, but do not reflect well on a supposed premium product. Anyway, overall good flight and aside from the condition of the plane, a good showing by AA.
Old Mar 29, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by ordflyboy

Lunch service. Choice between this deli style plate or the hummus and pepper sandwich. Great service by this MIA based crew.
That's actually not a bad looking little lunch, but... it's crying out for some Bread or Crackers! and of course a glass of Wine. RT
Old Mar 29, 2022, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Raralith
LAX-PHL, A321NEO, 03/27/2022, 3:45PM departure on domestic F

Streak continues because this one was a great flight. FA were great, constantly walking around, and keep drinks topped off. PDB were served in plastic cups and done when coach pax were coming in, they got only the first few rows before takeoff, but it was much appreciated none the less. Dinner options were vegetarian tortellini or herb chicken with baked potato. Beverage service came around again, glassware this time, with warm nuts on a very hot plate. Desert was chocolate chip ice cream or a cheese plate, much better than the sorbet last time.

Went with the chicken and it wasn't very good. Meat, potato, and sauce were bland but it was warm. Side salad was fresh and the arugula with prosciutto was nice. FA came soon after with a tray of warm bread. Silverware instead of plastic.

Came with silverware so you don't need to use the crappy lid spoon!

Overall, meal was OK, but FA were top notch so I'd rate it as one of my better flights.
Had the same LAX - CLT. I chose the chicken and twice baked potato which was quite tasty. Instead of ice cream, I chose the cheese plate which was just ok, nothing special about it at all!
Old Mar 29, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
IAH LGA a319 I’ll give American an SI (shows improvement) like a child’s report card. Assembly required but I made myself a proper bagel and lox sandwich 🥯. It was decent. The other option “continental breakfast” wasn’t catered on the plane. 2 hot meals for the pilots.And we got hot towels and PDB.

Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:28 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Question Return of domestic first class pre-order meals?

On February 13, the following was reported on One Mile At A Time:
  • As of February 16, 2022, pre-departure beverages will be returning to first class
  • As of April 2022, it’ll once again be possible to pre-order meals in domestic first class
  • As of May 2022, it’ll be possible to request special meals, with options including Asian, vegetarian, diabetic, Hindu, Kosher, gluten intolerant, Muslim, and vegan
As we are now into April, has anyone seen a pre-order available on a non-transcom flight? Is there any indication of when in April pre-orders will return?
onanisland likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
So, I'm very confused about the meal service right now. Flying MEX-DFW yesterday (lunch), which is a 935 mile flight, I received fantastic three course hot meal service:
  • Open bar PDC
  • Hot nuts & choice of drink
  • Tray with entree choice and salad (mushroom mezzaluna pasta or sea bass with tomato sauce and spinach)
  • Desert brought around later
Service was A+ from friendly FAs (two working J.) It felt like being on a whole new airline. Best flight in a long time. Wonder if it was because I was flying into the CK event at the Grand Hyatt!

Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by marlee1421
On February 13, the following was reported on One Mile At A Time:
  • As of February 16, 2022, pre-departure beverages will be returning to first class
  • As of April 2022, it’ll once again be possible to pre-order meals in domestic first class
  • As of May 2022, it’ll be possible to request special meals, with options including Asian, vegetarian, diabetic, Hindu, Kosher, gluten intolerant, Muslim, and vegan
As we are now into April, has anyone seen a pre-order available on a non-transcom flight? Is there any indication of when in April pre-orders will return?
It was reported upthread that pre-orders return in the set of changes launching April 13th.
Old Apr 1, 2022, 8:51 am

PHL-LAX, A321NEO, 03/31/2022, 4:00PM departure on domestic F

No PDB and we got drinks maybe an hour into the air. Dinner options were vegetarian lasagna (which they ran out of), or beef short rib which is what I went with; same two meal options a month ago on the same route. Warm nuts were served thereafter.

Meat was stringy and the mashed potatoes weren't very creamy. Having had both entrees, the lasagna was better. Sides were good though as the shrimp was crisp, and the arugula and thousand island sauce was tasty; same sides as last trip. Side salad was good too. FA came by shortly after with warm bread options, but there wasn't a small tray for bread that the butter typically sits in.

Dessert choices were ice cream or cheese plate. Got a glance at the cheese plate, not very appealing with a few blocks of cheese and small smattering of fruit.

Flight was OK. FA were slow to start but midway to end were walking up down the island with wine and bottled water in hand topping everyone off. I asked for a few different alcoholic drinks and were promptly brought them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.