Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by JY1024
Trip credit should be be able to be booked for someone else when logged into the person's account that actually owns the trip credit. You mentioned you logged in as your friend - but then you said when you pay for the ticket, you see flight credit in your own name....so that seems to imply that you're no longer logged in as her.

Or are you trying to put the ticket on hold when logged in as her, then trying to pay when logged in as you? Don't think logging yourself is ever going to be an option to use someone else's trip credit - need to be logged in as the owner of the trip credit.
No, I logged in as my friend. But as soon as I changed the default pax name (hers) to mine, it would only allow me to use my own flight credit. No other options were offered.

This was on a desktop. Perhaps trying to do it on the app will work?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vasantn
No, I logged in as my friend. But as soon as I changed the default pax name (hers) to mine, it would only allow me to use my own flight credit. No other options were offered.

Nope, same thing happened on the app. I guess I will call.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, learned something new. I was trying to book a ticket from SJU to LGA. Apparently SJU is not a valid airport as it's not within the 50 states.

But luckily the EXP agent was able to override the system and get it done.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
HUCA. Also if you haven't already put the AUH-JFK on hold at aa.com, then when you call provide that record locator and tell them you need to add the JFK-SFO segment to it. Much easier that way.

Looking at EY's fare rules for AUH-SFO they allow a connection at JFK on B6, so this shouldn't be a problem provided both segments are available as sAAver and no married segment issues.
Originally Posted by guv1976
I would recommend going one step further: Use the multi-city award-booking engine to put both segments on hold on a single PNR, and then call AA to ask that the itinerary be re-priced as a single award. This would put the lie to any claim that the two flights cannot be on the same reservation.
Thanks for the reply guys. Only if the flight was showing up on aa.com : )
It wasnt. But I was able to find another agent that was willing to do it. It looks like 45 minutes for her though. She said the process is not straight forward and she will be escalating to get something fixed. Anyways, was able to book as a single redemption. Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2022, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
So I'm stupid, but I can't figure out how to use a friend's trip credit to pay for my flight. I've tried logging in as her, selecting the itinerary, and changing the default pax information to my own (stragely, even after I put in my AAdvantage number, the form doesn't pre-fill and I have to enter all my information manually). When I go to pay for the ticket, the only option I see for payment (other than the usual) is a flight credit I have in my own name. What am I doing wrong?

(I first tried logging in as myself and got the same result. No option to apply someone else's trip credit.)
Have you tried using your friend's account, putting in only your name and birth date and then buying the ticket?
Old Oct 8, 2022, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MADPhil
Have you tried using your friend's account, putting in only your name and birth date and then buying the ticket?
Yes.
MADPhil likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:06 am

Hello all,

I used a "flight credit" to get a cheap ticket on AA (so the remainder of the money went to "trip credit").

Now the new "cheap flight" has had a schedule change of 3-plus hours.

Can I request "trip credit" when I cancel this flight with the schedule change?

Ideally I would like an actual refund by check or credit card...not sure if that is a reasonable ask.......but i realize this flight was purchased with "flight credit".

Would you suggest call AA or ask via Twitter?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:22 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

Hmmm…interesting. Unless it’s just a remnant of cookies on your system, that definitely seems odd…and a potential security issue? (i.e., being able to access an individuals flight credits simply by putting in their passenger info as you build the itinerary)

Well, learned something new. I was trying to book a ticket from SJU to LGA. Apparently SJU is not a valid airport as it's not within the 50 states.

But luckily the EXP agent was able to override the system and get it done.
Ah, well glad you got it sorted out! It won’t be the first (nor last) time that the AA IT systems inconsistently categorize Puerto Rico.
vasantn and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
If I book an American-operated international flight (e.g., DFW>MEX) using BA Avios, will I have AAdvantage status (Platinum, in my case) perks? Assuming I can show my AA credentials at originating airport on check-in for the complimentary checked bag but what about advance MCE?
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by EJRofChicago
If I book an American-operated international flight (e.g., DFW>MEX) using BA Avios, will I have AAdvantage status (Platinum, in my case) perks? Assuming I can show my AA credentials at originating airport on check-in for the complimentary checked bag but what about advance MCE?
when you book the flight using Avios, check the box that you are booking for someone else and it should allow you to put in your AA number (to use your AA status) while allowing you to pay for it in Avios.
EJRofChicago likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Aeroplan 25k, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
when you book the flight using Avios, check the box that you are booking for someone else and it should allow you to put in your AA number (to use your AA status) while allowing you to pay for it in Avios.
Will try this, thank you!
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:53 pm

Why can I no longer put a flight on hold when booking through the AA website. That option no longer comes up for me on the payment page.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Barbmal
Why can I no longer put a flight on hold when booking through the AA website. That option no longer comes up for me on the payment page.
They're A/B testing removing this option. Try an incognito window and see if you get a different result. They're likely taking this away.
Old Oct 10, 2022, 4:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Barbmal
This was written about by a few travel sites a few weeks ago. It looks like it is gone.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-for-24-hours/
Old Oct 10, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Wife and I have tickets for early next year, and wanted to see flight seat availability in all classes. I've been doing this via the aa website, and recreating the trip so I can click on the "seats." Is there a better way to see all seat availability on a particular day and flight? No EF sub on my end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.