Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
I am AA gold, with 1300 LP to go until Platinum. I want to book tickets at the 30 day mark for pricing reasons. I have at least 1300 LP pending which should post in about a week, but after the 30 day purchase mark, to push me to platinum. Should I book now at the price I like and then try online/call to get MCE? Or is it better to wait until status hits then purchase for MCE/upgrade reasons?

Thanks,
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:15 pm
HLU

Mileage J tickets LAX to South America - Lounge Access?

We have J tickets acquired via mileage redemption from LAX to South America. I haven't been able to figure out if these get us Flagship Lounge - a cash purchase would have been labeled as a Flagship flight, but I am not sure about mileage tickets as it doesn't reference Flagship. Our outbound flight has a stop at JFK and our inbound stops in DFW. If it doesn't get us Flagship, does it get us the minimal Admirals club? Thanks so much!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
I am AA gold, with 1300 LP to go until Platinum. I want to book tickets at the 30 day mark for pricing reasons. I have at least 1300 LP pending which should post in about a week, but after the 30 day purchase mark, to push me to platinum. Should I book now at the price I like and then try online/call to get MCE? Or is it better to wait until status hits then purchase for MCE/upgrade reasons?

Thanks,
I would book the tickets as soon as you wish, without logging into your AAdvantage account and without entering your AAdvantage number. Then, once your AAdvantage account reflects your new Platinum status, go back into the reservation record and enter your AAdvantage number; you should then be able to select your MCE seats at no charge.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by HLU
We have J tickets acquired via mileage redemption from LAX to South America. I haven't been able to figure out if these get us Flagship Lounge - a cash purchase would have been labeled as a Flagship flight, but I am not sure about mileage tickets as it doesn't reference Flagship. Our outbound flight has a stop at JFK and our inbound stops in DFW. If it doesn't get us Flagship, does it get us the minimal Admirals club? Thanks so much!
AA is horribly inconsistent with its "Flagship" marketing. Any long haul flight in business class = Flagship regardless of whether it's paid or award or what is displayed at aa.com.

So assuming your flights to South America are to/from a qualifying country (i.e. not Northern SA) you will have no problem accessing the Flagship Lounges at LAX, JFK, and DFW during your trip.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
I want to fly on BA metal with BA flight #s. I also want to book these BA flights on AA web site. The web site kept on pushing AAxxxx codeshares. Is there a way with which I can get pure BA flight #s. OR, do I have to just book them on BA web site and plug in AA FF#?

Please advise! Thanks.
AA.com will typically not sell you a BA prime flight unless it's in conjunction with another AA flight. Is there any specific reason you want to book it at aa.com?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by HLU

Where in South America are you flying? That will determine whether you get Flagship Lounge access (northern SA doesn't get Flagship access, deep SA does). No matter what, international business class gives you access to the Admirals Club. AA doesn't distinguish between paid J or mileage J when it comes to lounge access.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:32 am
HLU

[QUOTE=wrp96;34643474]Where in South America are you flying? That will determine whether you get Flagship Lounge access (northern SA doesn't get Flagship access, deep SA does). No matter what, international business class gives you access to the Admirals Club. AA doesn't distinguish between paid J or mileage J when it comes to lounge access.[/QUO

Thank you both for the replies! Outbound is LAX to Rio, return is Buenos Aires to LAX. We will likely be waiting in Buenos Aires for a while as our flight is late and we have a charter flight in.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by HLU
Thank you both for the replies! Outbound is LAX to Rio, return is Buenos Aires to LAX. We will likely be waiting in Buenos Aires for a while as our flight is late and we have a charter flight in.
Yes you will get Flagship Lounge access on this itinerary. Be aware that the check in desks at Buenos Aires won't open until maybe 3 hours before the first flight of the day. If you're going to have a long wait, you might want to see if you can get a tour that will take you and your bags.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS
Newbie question…
We have flight in a few weeks. several schedule changes.
Now it is First in 2 cabin plane. MIA / LAX
On our flight details page there is an offer to purchase a day pass for lounge.
If purchased now, will it be accepted on day of travel?
Old Sep 30, 2022, 3:19 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by pcoll
Newbie question…
We have flight in a few weeks. several schedule changes.
Now it is First in 2 cabin plane. MIA / LAX
On our flight details page there is an offer to purchase a day pass for lounge.
If purchased now, will it be accepted on day of travel?
If you're on the 321-T aircraft or a widebody aircraft, Flagship Lounge access is included in your ticket type: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ontinental.jsp - no day pass needed.
pcoll likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:00 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, United Airlines Gold, Marriott - Titanium
Hi everyone,

Flying LAX to Miami on Flight 362 787-800. Currently in Premium Economy. As an EXP with about 140K LP for this year, what are the chances of being bumped to Business class? Would it be worth it to use Points for upgrade? Unfortunately my last two SWU's expired in August before I could book the flight. Thanks!

Also, is there a thread that explains all the "TLA's" (three letter acronyms) everyone uses here? I've figured out a few, but some are puzzling. :-)
Old Sep 30, 2022, 8:02 pm

Old-timer with a newbie question on an issue I’ve never faced before.

Am currently holding award tickets (single PNR for O/W award) for me + DW on upcoming travel. It now appears I may need to travel earlier to the destination. Can AA change the award to remove me (and refund the miles) but leave my DW’s ticket intact? Booking new would cost appreciably more.

Thanks.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by RogueFlyerOne
Hi everyone,

Flying LAX to Miami on Flight 362 787-800. Currently in Premium Economy. As an EXP with about 140K LP for this year, what are the chances of being bumped to Business class? Would it be worth it to use Points for upgrade? Unfortunately my last two SWU's expired in August before I could book the flight. Thanks!

Also, is there a thread that explains all the "TLA's" (three letter acronyms) everyone uses here? I've figured out a few, but some are puzzling. :-)
There are only 20 business class seats on the 787-8.

As far as acronyms are concerned, we have a Glossary.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beltway
Old-timer with a newbie question on an issue I’ve never faced before.

Am currently holding award tickets (single PNR for O/W award) for me + DW on upcoming travel. It now appears I may need to travel earlier to the destination. Can AA change the award to remove me (and refund the miles) but leave my DW’s ticket intact? Booking new would cost appreciably more.

Thanks.
Yes you can do that, but you have to call AA.
beltway likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2022, 5:54 am

So the new program's earning period ends 2/28, loyalty points don't rollover or anything do they?

If I end the year with 90,000 loyalty points, I still start next year at 0?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.