Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by patriotPHL1
Did a survey the other day to test something and got the miles in 2-3 days later. Safest bet would be to just buy any 6k award ticket you can find just to be just with only days remaining.
Says "No surveys are available at this time."
Dashboard (milesforopinions.com)

You recommend just booking a throwaway ticket?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by joshwex90
Says "No surveys are available at this time."
Dashboard (milesforopinions.com)

You recommend just booking a throwaway ticket?
I would, if hundreds of thousands of miles are really at risk of expiring in <3 business days, I'd find a way to book a 6k award ticket even if its throw away. If you book it far enough out, you'll surely have some account activity in the intermittent time and could then cancel the award ticket.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by patriotPHL1
Did a survey the other day to test something and got the miles in 2-3 days later. Safest bet would be to just buy any 6k award ticket you can find just to be just with only days remaining.
For several hundred thousand miles, I would definitely not let them expire.

You can also buy miles, which I believe resets the counter:
https://www.aa.com/aadvantage-progra...en_US/home/buy

Minimum amount is 2,000, and the cost is around $75. But before you do it, I would recommend calling AAdvantage customer service, and make sure the transaction will reset the counter, and that they will post in time.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Just got a notification that I have several hundred thousand miles expiring Oct 1. I don't fly AA at all anymore and a cc isn't an option.
Considering the time constraint, what's the best way to extend the miles expiration? I doubt shopping through the eshopping portal would post in time.
Donate them to a cause: https://www.aa.com/i18n/customer-ser...ght/donate.jsp

Nearly instant.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: American, Southwest, Alaska
Had the same issue with AA flight booked through Qatar

Originally Posted by happychic
I used BA Avios to book an AAflight yesterday. It's been 16 hours but I still do not see the flight show up on my AA account. Outside of the e-ticket receipt from BA when I booked the ticket, I do not see a follow up email to show that my flight was ticketed. How do I get the flight to show up in AA? I do have the ticket numbers that start with 125-214, but nothing that start with 001.

Bonus question: will I get to use my AA elite benefits on the flight since I used BA Avios to book? I am a lowly Gold member. It will be nice to choose MCE seats and not have to pay for a carry-on.

If it matters the flight is from Mexico to US.

Thanks!

It took a while for my Qatar flights to show up in AA and when they did I couldnt choose a seat. I finally called AA and gave the agent my flight information and he eventually assigned me a seat. He did try to charge me $30 for getting a seat by calling, but when I explained the website wouldnt allow me to do it online he waived the fee.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:31 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Just got a notification that I have several hundred thousand miles expiring Oct 1. I don't fly AA at all anymore and a cc isn't an option.
Considering the time constraint, what's the best way to extend the miles expiration? I doubt shopping through the eshopping portal would post in time.
Give someone a magazine subscription, it shouldn't be more than 1,000 - 2,000 miles.

Lots more options in this thread:
Old Sep 28, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Cut and pasted:

No need to spend any money. Just book an award to anywhere. Wait till it tickets and the miles are deducted. Then cancel it. Miles will be redeposited, taxes refunded, and expiration date reset.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by TWA884
Give someone a magazine subscription, it shouldn't be more than 1,000 - 2,000 miles.

Lots more options in this thread:
Don't think the magazine subscription is an option anymore.

Just gonna donate 1,000 miles or book a throwaway ticket.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 2:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA Admirals' Club pass not accepted and will expire soon

I don't recall how, but I somehow earned two day passes to the Admirals' Club. Possibly because I reached Executive Platinum.

They expire in a month.

Last week I tried to use one at the CLT Admirals' Club. A sign said, "sales of one day passes are temporarily suspended." I argued I wasn't buying a pass - I already had one. No dice. Asked to speak the manager. Explained I had a six hour wait, was Executive Platinum, was an Aadvantage member forever, and flew American ever since EWR to SFO in 1966. He told me "We're all about customer service here. You will be my guest." Told the receptionist to let me in and she validated my pass. Spent 6 hours working away from the chaos of CLT.

Two days later, return flight from CLT, same sign up, same "Sorry, not accepting passes." Asked to speak to the manager. Gave the same request. This time, the manager (different individual) told me, "we're not even on the same wavelength. Sorry."

So I have one pass left, it expires in a month, I cannot use it in that time. Has anyone ever had AAdvantage extend the expiration date on a Admirals Club day pass which could not used because the Admirals' Club closed the lounge to one day pass holders?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Want to book BA metal on AA web site, how?

I want to fly on BA metal with BA flight #s. I also want to book these BA flights on AA web site. The web site kept on pushing AAxxxx codeshares. Is there a way with which I can get pure BA flight #s. OR, do I have to just book them on BA web site and plug in AA FF#?

Please advise! Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:27 am

First time poster - New job, wanting to maximize my travel experience.

Hello FlyerTalk members!

I have taken a new position where I will be able to use my own credit cards for company travel/food. It should be safe to assume I will be flying once a month, round trip with the occasional additional flights.
Being based out of DFW, I am assuming based off my quick research, I will want to fly American. I will typically be flying out West. Currently I am an AAdvantage member, I am 17,863 away from Gold. My company wants me to book coach and I am looking to get upgrades due to my height. I would also like to earn miles / status for my family's benefit. My credit score is over 800, I can get approved for any CC as needed for this new venture.
(We currently only use cash back cards, so I can get almost any card/s that will benefit us)

I welcome discussion and guidance on how to start off on the right foot correctly.

Thank you!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DonkeyFlying
Hello FlyerTalk members!

I have taken a new position where I will be able to use my own credit cards for company travel/food. It should be safe to assume I will be flying once a month, round trip with the occasional additional flights.
Being based out of DFW, I am assuming based off my quick research, I will want to fly American. I will typically be flying out West. Currently I am an AAdvantage member, I am 17,863 away from Gold. My company wants me to book coach and I am looking to get upgrades due to my height. I would also like to earn miles / status for my family's benefit. My credit score is over 800, I can get approved for any CC as needed for this new venture.
(We currently only use cash back cards, so I can get almost any card/s that will benefit us)

I welcome discussion and guidance on how to start off on the right foot correctly.

Thank you!
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

A qualifying Barclays and/or Citi AAdvantage credit card will earn you one Loyalty Point for every base mile earned from charges to the card. Currently, both cards waive the first year's annual fee (Citi typically does; Barclays typically does not). Both cards offer generous sign-up bonuses, but the bonuses do not earn Loyalty Points.

If you have $25K you can park in a bank account for three months, Bask Bank is currently offering 5,000 Loyalty Points for doing so in their miles-earning account:

https://www.baskbank.com/products/mi...enu_dropdown_2

Other ways of earning Loyalty Points include car rentals, hotel stays, AAdvantage Dining, AAdvantage e-shopping, and AAdvantage Simply Miles.

Note that AA's annual earning period for determining status runs from March 1 through February 28; so you would need to amass 30,000 Loyalty Points by 2/28/23 to obtain AAdvantage Gold status.

Edited to add:

Current Barclays offer:

https://www.applyaviator.com/

Current Citi offers:

https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-plat...paign=footerhv

https://creditcards.aa.com/citi-plat...rlines-direct/

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 29, 2022 at 9:15 am
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: American Airlines: Platinum, Hilton Honors: Gold, Hyatt: Discoverist
Newbie question here:

I have only just qualified for status this year (currently Platinum). Myself and two of my friends have a trip credit from a group trip we took earlier in the year (approximately $53 each). We'd like to use it for a trip in January before it expires.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure how I can best use my status benefits /and/ the trip credits.

So, if we book together, I can get everyone MCE seats (a $220+ value for both companions) as well as the other benefits like earlier boarding, etc. However, if we book together, I cannot use the trip credits as it only allows one credit per person. I contacted reservations and they said the only way to do it is to separate out each person into a separate ticket/purchase. But in doing so, wouldn't I lose the free MCE seat benefit since my friends do not have status?

I can't seem to find a way to use the 3x $53 credits ($159), without my friends having to pay extra for their MCE seats ($220)+. Has anyone run into this issue before that has any advice?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by DonkeyFlying
Hello FlyerTalk members!

Thank you!
Congratulations. I don't fly that often but have used the AA Citibank card for twenty-five years. Closing in on 3 million miles (which is irrelevant) most of which came from using the card. $95 annual fee after the first year. A higher priced card ($495?) gets you into the Admirals club but for an infrequent flyer like me, not worth it.

Biggest disappointment is how devalued status at all levels has become. There was an AA employee video a few years back ("Hey big spender!) in which they mocked gold members. I reached lifetime platinum almost a decade ago and since then additional tiers have devalued it further. Now I am Executive Platinum and it gets me very little. Like you, I am above average height and a 20 minute flight in coach leaves me unable to stand up. So I don't risk ending up there and either pay cash for business class or use miles for a business class seat.

On the other hand, I have flown all over the world, business class and first class, using miles alone. JFK to LHR first class is something I could never justify spending cash on, but miles make it all possible. Have gone to Asia, Australia, Europe, first class, all on miles.

Fairly recently, AAdvantage changed their mileage structure in regards to attaining status level: it ended up being a huge benefit to people like me - spending on the card moved me from lifetime platinum, to platinum (huh? why bother to tell me?) to Platinum Pro, to Executive Platinum all in four months, with only one flight taken at that time.

Good luck and enjoy the rides!
Old Sep 29, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Arazia
Newbie question here:

I have only just qualified for status this year (currently Platinum). Myself and two of my friends have a trip credit from a group trip we took earlier in the year (approximately $53 each). We'd like to use it for a trip in January before it expires.

The problem I'm running into is that I'm not sure how I can best use my status benefits /and/ the trip credits.

So, if we book together, I can get everyone MCE seats (a $220+ value for both companions) as well as the other benefits like earlier boarding, etc. However, if we book together, I cannot use the trip credits as it only allows one credit per person. I contacted reservations and they said the only way to do it is to separate out each person into a separate ticket/purchase. But in doing so, wouldn't I lose the free MCE seat benefit since my friends do not have status?

I can't seem to find a way to use the 3x $53 credits ($159), without my friends having to pay extra for their MCE seats ($220)+. Has anyone run into this issue before that has any advice?
I have had good luck calling in and requesting the MCE for companions and coworkers, even on a separate reservation with my Plat Status if you have their booking details. Even as a gold at the 24 hr mark I was able to do that for a coworker once.

The other benefit to keep in mind is checked bag fees, which absolutely requires people to be on your reservation. If a shorter trip not planning on checking a lot of bags then I wouldn't worry about it, but you get 2 bags per person on your reservation with your status.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.