Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 13, 22, 5:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2022 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here

2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 21, 22, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by wanderingjock View Post
Try using the Sri Lanka airlines manage my booking to edit FF# ? Sometimes works for me
Didn't work for me on Sri Lanka airlines site. I reached out to AA via chat and the representative was able to add the AA number for me.
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Sep 21, 22, 6:58 pm

Another noob question: when I get the 50k AA bonus for the minimum spend on one of the AA cards, does that also translate to 50k LP? Thanks!
Old Sep 21, 22, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by DCBound2016 View Post
Another noob question: when I get the 50k AA bonus for the minimum spend on one of the AA cards, does that also translate to 50k LP? Thanks!
If you mean the sign up bonus, no: https://creditcards.aa.com/aadvantag...hange_ExecCard
Old Sep 22, 22, 4:14 pm

If I have a Flight credit that is about to expire, can I simply buy another ticket, use the credit, then cancel it again, and my "new" credit will now get me another year? I don't want to lose my credit but won't be flying in time to use it.

Do I need to wait 24 hours or so to cancel it?

thanks.
Old Sep 22, 22, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Can you fly standby on an earlier flight on a web saver award ticket if you dont have status? Seemed unclear based on the site.
Old Sep 23, 22, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by enichols22124 View Post
If I have a Flight credit that is about to expire, can I simply buy another ticket, use the credit, then cancel it again, and my "new" credit will now get me another year? I don't want to lose my credit but won't be flying in time to use it.

Do I need to wait 24 hours or so to cancel it?

thanks.
My understanding is that any ticket associated with the flight credit is not subject to the 24-hour cancel rule. I think there may also be situations where you cant use it for refundable tickets.

Provided you have a trip that you think you may fly, Id use the flight credit and if you need to change your plans in the future, change it then. Since youre changing and not canceling, you should be fine.

Theres a thread on flight vs. trip credits with the details, and you should make sure there are no terms where a trip has to be taken within one year of the originally-scheduled trip.
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:39 am

Hi all - I will be arriving in ORD from DUB on AA (so will have cleared the border in DUB) before another AA flight to LAX. Is my checked baggage transferred straight through or will I have to pick it up at ORD?
Old Sep 23, 22, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AIKE View Post
Hi all - I will be arriving in ORD from DUB on AA (so will have cleared the border in DUB) before another AA flight to LAX. Is my checked baggage transferred straight through or will I have to pick it up at ORD?
It will be transferred straight to your LAX flight (assuming of course it's all on the same ticket).
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
It will be transferred straight to your LAX flight (assuming of course it's all on the same ticket).
It is indeed. Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT PRO | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Are you sure?! Any time I've arrived in the US I've needed to walk my checked back in hand through customs and re-check for connecting flights within the US.
Old Sep 23, 22, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AIKE View Post
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
Are you sure?! Any time I've arrived in the US I've needed to walk my checked back in hand through customs and re-check for connecting flights within the US.
In this specific case, AIKE is arriving from DUB which is a pre-clearance airport so on arrival at ORD he will be treated like any other domestic arrival. If he wasn't arriving from a pre-clearance airport, then yes he would have to retrieve bags.
AAdamE and AIKE like this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by wrp96 View Post
In this specific case, AIKE is arriving from DUB which is a pre-clearance airport so on arrival at ORD he will be treated like any other domestic arrival. If he wasn't arriving from a pre-clearance airport, then yes he would have to retrieve bags.
Moreover the flight will arrive into Terminal 3 just like a domestic arrival.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:38 pm

If I book an award ticket with two other people, can I split the PNR and cancel my ticket and not have the other two peoples reservation cancelled?
Old Sep 23, 22, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by AAdamE View Post
If I book an award ticket with two other people, can I split the PNR and cancel my ticket and not have the other two peoples reservation cancelled?
Yes, you should be able to do that. Id confirm with the agent and make your intentions clear before executing.
Old Sep 24, 22, 5:42 am

Guys - is there any way to see availability for etihad, qatar, cathay using AA miles online? Thank you

Search this Thread