Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jiddywop
Is there an easy way (via aa.com or a third-party website) to find an accurate listing of current AA flight offerings from their various US Hubs to various European destinations? In the old days, airlines published timetables and/or had fancy route maps showing current routes flown. I cannot find either for American. Basically, I need to know where in Europe I can get non-stop on AA from their various hubs here in the US.

Thanks
-Jiddywop!
An alternative would be run a Google flights query with 3 major hubs selected on departure side, "Europe" typed in on destination field, then filter it down to Oneworld, Non-stop flights only

Google flights should automatically return possible 1 week itineraries in next 6 months. See link

I Ran that query on mobile chrome browser. On a desktop, the filter might allow Airline than just Alliances.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Do non-elite travellers get free checked bags when travelling on an domestic award ticket? Booking code Y.
Oops, I have forgotten that I only got that benefit when using my Platinum card to pay the fees. Please disregard.

Last edited by mary_228; Jan 21, 2022 at 11:43 am
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mary_228
Do I get free checked bags when travelling on an award ticket?
Yes, you get free checked bags regardless of whether it's an award or paid ticket (assuming you're talking about any free checked bags you're entitled to via status or a credit card, etc.).
Old Jan 21, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, you get free checked bags regardless of whether it's an award or paid ticket (assuming you're talking about any free checked bags you're entitled to via status or a credit card, etc.).
I wonder if you noticed that I edited the post to read that the passenger flying is not elite/gold or any other status. Does that change your response?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mary_228
I wonder if you noticed that I edited the post to read that the passenger flying is not elite/gold or any other status. Does that change your response?
OK, then no, without status or a credit card there are no free bags on a normal domestic award ticket. Generally speaking award tickets are treated no differently than paid tickets in this regard.
mary_228 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum Pro
It's a bit of a haystack though!
The haystack is an understatement, and it looks like to really unlock the useful features of this website I will need a $$ subscription. Thanks for the help.

JWP

Originally Posted by psusaver
An alternative would be run a Google flights query with 3 major hubs selected on departure side, "Europe" typed in on destination field, then filter it down to Oneworld, Non-stop flights only

Google flights should automatically return possible 1 week itineraries in next 6 months. See link

I Ran that query on mobile chrome browser. On a desktop, the filter might allow Airline than just Alliances.
Wow!! Thanks so much, I guess I didn't realize the true power of Google Flights. I got tons of great info from various searches.

JWP
MADPhil likes this.

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 26, 2022 at 10:44 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:07 pm

Jet Blue Flight # redeemed as a reward redemption on AA.com

This is actually a B6 flight number.
It does not sat AA# blah blah ( operated by Jet Blue)

I am Platinum on AA.
It says "on request:"
THree questions

1- can I pick "more room " free of charge -- AA said to call JetBlue , No seat assignments available to select at all.

2._ because this is Non Rev, I assume B6 wont badger me to change FF # to them.
3- Will it be a hassle to get free luggage check in ?
4 - most importantly, if I don't take the trip will AA redeposit the mile without a charge if it is a B6 flight number?

Thanks to all,
Old Jan 22, 2022, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by writetorich
This is actually a B6 flight number.
It does not sat AA# blah blah ( operated by Jet Blue)

I am Platinum on AA.
It says "on request:"
THree questions

1- can I pick "more room " free of charge -- AA said to call JetBlue , No seat assignments available to select at all.

2._ because this is Non Rev, I assume B6 wont badger me to change FF # to them.
3- Will it be a hassle to get free luggage check in ?
4 - most importantly, if I don't take the trip will AA redeposit the mile without a charge if it is a B6 flight number?

Thanks to all,
AAdvantage flight redemptions on other airlines use the flight number of the partner carrier. It's only when you pay cash for a flight that you might end up getting a codeshare.

As for your questions:

1. EMS seats on JetBlue are not a published benefit of AAdvantage status. Some AAdvantage elites have gotten them (either during online check-in or at the airport); others have not.

2. You are not a non-revenue passenger. For example, in the event of a diversion, you would be treated the same as someone who paid cash, in terms of being provided lodging and/or meals. A true non-rev would not. And do not change the FFP in your reservation record; if you do, you won't be entitled to your AAdvantage status benefits.

3. As long as your AAdvantage number is in your record, you should get free checked baggage. But sometimes the JetBlue check-in kiosks won't offer it, so you might have to see an agent.

4. And finally -- to answer the fourth of your three questions -- as long as you cancel with AA before the flight departs, your mileage and small cash component should be refunded without charge, upon your request.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 22, 2022 at 9:22 pm
Old Jan 22, 2022, 10:21 pm

Question: I bought a basic economy ticket from SNA-JFK. Noticed I have not received an offers for a paid upgrade. Any chance that an offer will be made when I check in? Noticed 0 of 10 F and 5 of 20 J seats have been sold so far.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'm flying LAX to SLC on Thursday on AS. How long will it take for miles etc. to be shown in my AA account?
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Hi, with the double-counting of Jan/Feb, and lower requirements this year, I am going to qualify for Platinum Pro for the first time ever, and it’s also my first time being Platinum in ~10 years. For upgrades, it says Platinum Pro gets unlimited complimentary upgrade requests. Does that include potential for upgrade to Europe/LatAm/Asia?
apologies, I’m a little confused going through the rules, especially with all the changes to the program!
Old Jan 24, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spainlover
Hi, with the double-counting of Jan/Feb, and lower requirements this year, I am going to qualify for Platinum Pro for the first time ever, and it’s also my first time being Platinum in ~10 years. For upgrades, it says Platinum Pro gets unlimited complimentary upgrade requests. Does that include potential for upgrade to Europe/LatAm/Asia?
apologies, I’m a little confused going through the rules, especially with all the changes to the program!
No, the EXP and PLT Pro complimentary upgrades are not valid on long haul flights to Europe or Asia. They are only valid on domestic flights and some short haul int'l (Canada, Caribbean, etc.). Basically any flight where you could use 500-mi stickers to upgrade as a PLT or GLD.
spainlover likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thanks for clarifying JJeffrey
Old Jan 25, 2022, 8:53 am

Hi all,

I'm about $200 and 3 segments away from gold. I'm taking two flights in March. I saw that the program will be changing to loyalty points. Has this already went into effect (my app still shows EQDs, etc)? Should I hurry up and meet the gold benchmark before a deadline? Or am I SOL? Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2022, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
Hi all,

I'm about $200 and 3 segments away from gold. I'm taking two flights in March. I saw that the program will be changing to loyalty points. Has this already went into effect (my app still shows EQDs, etc)? Should I hurry up and meet the gold benchmark before a deadline? Or am I SOL? Thanks!
January and February of this year is a double dip session. You'll earn both EQDs , EQMs, and EQSs for 2022 and loyalty points for 2022/23 status. If you choose to go for Gold, you have until the end of February to get those EQDs and EQSs. Loyalty points go into effect March 1.
vasantn likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.