Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Sep 8, 2022, 11:22 am

Yeah, thanks guys! I'm definitely quite pleased by the outcome, was just a bit surprised to see class still listed as "first" rather than "flagship __" so figured I'd see what the group thought.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:57 am

If you have an AA credit card, can you double dip with the loyalty points? For example, you earn LPs with the $ you paid for the reservation ($1 to 1LP) and then the LPs earned after flying? Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
If you have an AA credit card, can you double dip with the loyalty points? For example, you earn LPs with the $ you paid for the reservation ($1 to 1LP) and then the LPs earned after flying? Thanks!
Yep.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:55 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Q1. Are 3 checked bags possible with no addl fee in this routing PIT-JFK (one way) early Oct? Ant trick or hack that can make this happen?

-My current status AA PLT (OW Sapphire)
-I posses Citi AAdvantage plat CC (although they don't combine according to many posts)-Im even willing to book on First if that could help somehow. First is ~$239, Basic Econ $149 currently for early Oct dates (one way).

I looked up and saw the First allows 2 chkd bags at 70 lbs while even in Basic economy (with AA PLT status) I can get 2 chkd bags at 50 lbs each on domestic flights. The 3rd bag is limited on both cases to 50 lb, 62" linear dimensions at a charge of $150.

Q2: different second question
Other notes, I'm flying by Finnair from JFK-HEL-DEL in early Oct. Plan to reach NYC a day before, stay at a hotel then catch intl flight. I couldnt find PIT-DEL on Finnair as I booked orig intl ticket in a hurry (it's the return segment on DEL-JFK RT). (Actual question) I'm now wondering if I could add a segment on Finnair by changing my departure airport or if I can link my AA ticket (after booking it).
Q3: Has anyone tried combining separate ticket bookings across OW partners to get the baggage checked through and had good luck with that?
I'm still 47k loyalty points away from AA Plat Pro and even more from EXP Plat.
Thanks for reading the long question. If you genuinely feel I should just suck it up and just 2 bags I might probably do that. I'm moving back to India hence my need for max checked bags at lowest cost.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by psusaver
Q1. Are 3 checked bags possible with no addl fee in this routing PIT-JFK (one way) early Oct? Ant trick or hack that can make this happen?

-I posses Citi AAdvantage plat CC (although they don't combine according to many posts)-Im even willing to book on First if that could help somehow. First is ~$239, Basic Econ $149 currently for early Oct dates (one way).

I looked up and saw the First allows 2 chkd bags at 70 lbs while even in Basic economy (with AA PLT status) I can get 2 chkd bags at 50 lbs each on domestic flights. The 3rd bag is limited on both cases to 50 lb, 62" linear dimensions at a charge of $150.

Other notes, I'm flying by Finnair from JFK-HEL-DEL in early Oct. Plan to reach NYC a day before, stay at a hotel then catch intl flight. I couldnt find PIT-DEL on Finnair as I booked orig intl ticket in a hurry (it's the return segment on DEL-JFK RT). (Actual question) I'm now wondering if I could add a segment on Finnair by changing my departure airport or if I can link my AA ticket (after booking it).
Q3: Has anyone tried combining separate ticket bookings across OW partners to get the baggage checked through and had good luck with that?
Thanks for reading the long question. If you genuinely feel I should just suck it up and just 2 bags I might probably do that. I'm moving back to India hence my need for max checked bags at lowest cost.
For the bags, both domestic F and AA PLT come with 2 checked bags, and these don't stack with your credit card. I don't see any way around paying for the 3rd bag.

And for your JFK-DEL flight, you just need to call Finnair and see what it would cost to change your return from JFK-DEL to PIT-DEL. There's really no way to link the reservations or anything like that, and AA will not check bags through across separate tickets/PNR's.
psusaver likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Hello All - it's been a long time since actively earning with AA and my miles are due to expire 01 October 2022. Can anyone please advise if I make a donation of $25 or more to Stand Up To Cancer I would earn miles as far as I understand it - would those miles then trigger a reset of the expiry date of my miles? If so then does anyone have experience doing this and how quickly they post - as this particular line is of concern: "Please allow up to twelve weeks for the bonus miles to be posted to your account." ?

Thanks in advance for any help.
If it hasn't been suggested, for to AAdvantage eshopping portal (may need to create an account and sell ur soul, er email add) and then look for Walgreens, CVS etc and place a small $10-$20 order of some items. Or AA dining portal and eat out at a qualifying place. Both of these are fairly fast ways to earn some miles for keeping it alive. Or Google Survey for Opinions (definitely selling the soul , ER email &#129315. For me all of these options (eshopping or dining or survey) post within 2-3 days, the dining usually posts next day. iHop is many areas is a dining miles partner so a quick breakfast should do it.
wijibintheair likes this.

Last edited by psusaver; Sep 9, 2022 at 9:20 am
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I don't see any way for you to get three free bags on PIT-JFK, given your current AAdvantage status. Baggage allowances are not additive, and they only waive the fees for the first one or two bags. If you check a third bag, you must pay the fee applicable to a third checked bag, not to a first checked bag.

As an alternative to flying PIT-JFK on AA, you could take Amtrak's "Pennsylvanian" from Pittsburgh to Manhattan. The train has a baggage car, and two pieces of checked baggage are included on even the cheapest fare. The charge for a third checked bag is $20. It's a long ride, but since you are planning to overnight in NYC anyway, it might work for you.

AA policy is not to through-check bags across separate PNRs, not even AA => AA.
wrp96 and psusaver like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For the bags, both domestic F and AA PLT come with 2 checked bags, and these don't stack with your credit card. I don't see any way around paying for the 3rd bag.

And for your JFK-DEL flight, you just need to call Finnair and see what it would cost to change your return from JFK-DEL to PIT-DEL. There's really no way to link the reservations or anything like that, and AA will not check bags through across separate tickets/PNR's.
thank you. While I typed it out, I called both AA, then Finnair. The agent on Finnair really claims they have codeshare but then wanted to route me PIT-LGA (walk to JFK with bags?) JFK -HEL-LHR-DEL. I gave up pretty fast after that conversation on trying to get them to change itinerary. Might just pack "light" now. And AA stopped interlining 4.5 yrs ago according to an agent.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
As an alternative to flying PIT-JFK on AA, you could take Amtrak's "Pennsylvanian" from Pittsburgh to Manhattan. The train has a baggage car, and two pieces of checked baggage are included on even the cheapest fare. The charge for a third checked bag is $20. It's a long ride, but since you are planning to overnight in NYC anyway, it might work for you.

AA policy is not to through-check bags across separate PNRs, not even AA => AA.
That was in the back of mind to do that (I am also sitting on unused Amtrak voucher/points) and I do love trains. Thanks a lot for mentioning it! However I was also trying to use up an AA travel credit expiring in Feb 20, 23.
But if colors start showing up by early Oct might just do the train 😊
Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:12 pm

Have an AA award ticket upcoming, "Web Special award" level. Do I read this correctly that I can cancel for no charge/penalty and have miles reinstated right up until time of boarding or thereabouts?

Old Sep 9, 2022, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgilligan02
Have an AA award ticket upcoming, "Web Special award" level. Do I read this correctly that I can cancel for no charge/penalty and have miles reinstated right up until time of boarding or thereabouts?

Correct.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
If it hasn't been suggested, for to AAdvantage eshopping portal (may need to create an account and sell ur soul, er email add) and then look for Walgreens, CVS etc and place a small $10-$20 order of some items. Or AA dining portal and eat out at a qualifying place. Both of these are fairly fast ways to earn some miles for keeping it alive. Or Google Survey for Opinions (definitely selling the soul , ER email &#129315. For me all of these options (eshopping or dining or survey) post within 2-3 days, the dining usually posts next day. iHop is many areas is a dining miles partner so a quick breakfast should do it.
Thanks for your reply - but I am based in the UK so not as easy - wonder if it works on takeaway orders could send a pancake to a friend
psusaver likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Gold; HH Diamond; Hyatt Plat
AA award - changing one segment only

upcoming AA award currently booked DCA-ORD(AA)-DOH(QR)-MLE(QR)

Been watching the IAD-DOH(QR) direct flight award availability, and it seems one or two seats are released in the day(s) immediately before departure. The IAD and ORD flights arrive DOH at about the same time. Would prefer not to go to ORD if possible.

My question: if the IAD-DOH opens up but no with no new availability on the DOH-MLE flights, will the AA desk be able to swap in the IAD-DOH flights and keep my DOH-MLE segments as they are? I think the answer is no, especially since the "origin" is changing (DCA/IAD/BWI = WAS, but whatever) hopeful for some FT wisdom.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
How do I earn LP flying on Alaska? Do I need to book through aa.com?
Old Sep 10, 2022, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AirricK11
How do I earn LP flying on Alaska? Do I need to book through aa.com?
No: you just need to ensure that your AAdvantage number is in your reservation record, regardless of booking channel.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.