Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by NachosLibres
I know I've found it somewhere before either on the website or my AA app, but I can't find my loyalty choice progress (i.e. qualifying flight segments). Does anyone know where to go to see how many qualifying flight segments I've had thus far for this year?
AA buried the segment counter at the bottom under "promotions" when you click on your account.

Where does one see segment counter?
Old Aug 3, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by rbakker
Thanks but I don't think it's worth spending $75 on $20 worth of miles every time $65 of miles is about to expire! I was hoping for something that costs nothing (like the booking/cancelling trick) or cheap (buying a pack of gum at Walmart).
Not sure how this works internationally, but the no-fee AA credit card prevents miles from expiring.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
AA buried the segment counter at the bottom under "promotions" when you click on your account.

Where does one see segment counter?
Thank you sir.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Can AA award bookings still be canceled at any time (or within __ days of departure) with no fees of any kind? Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2022, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by js1993
Can AA award bookings still be canceled at any time (or within __ days of departure) with no fees of any kind? Thanks.
Apparently so:

js1993 likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 10:15 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Originally Posted by js1993
IME of about 20 Web Special award cancellations in the past 4-5 months, once or twice just a few hours prior to departure, the answer is “yes”. Almost every time the cancellation was immediately preceded by booking a different flight usually for fewer miles. A couple of times rebooking the exact same flight for fewer miles occurred immediately after cancellation. Upon cancellation, website informs that miles have been redeposited - which has been immediate; log off, log back on, miles redeposited. Refund of taxes/fees takes a week or 10 days to post to credit card. I’ve not experienced any repercussions of frequent cancellations. (I haven’t tried to book the same flight that I already had a ticket on, figured the website wouldn’t allow it, might try that next time .)
js1993 likes this.

Last edited by Dr Jabadski; Aug 5, 2022 at 12:57 pm Reason: erroneous AA email related info removed
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
DFW to ORD First Saver award is usually 25K. Which can be combined with a 70K business ticket to Asia on Etihad. I have been keeping an eye on a DFW-ORD specific flight (for shorter connection), which was fluctuating between 27K and 35K as web special (booking code J). Now, it is available for 24.5K which is a web special (booking code J). How likely could the same flight have a Saver seat (booking code U I think) so can combine it with my 70K Etihad ticket without paying extra? It shows Web Special - First as "J" and First also as "J". Am I SOL?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sowhatwegetdrunk
DFW to ORD First Saver award is usually 25K. Which can be combined with a 70K business ticket to Asia on Etihad. I have been keeping an eye on a DFW-ORD specific flight (for shorter connection), which was fluctuating between 27K and 35K as web special (booking code J). Now, it is available for 24.5K which is a web special (booking code J). How likely could the same flight have a Saver seat (booking code U I think) so can combine it with my 70K Etihad ticket without paying extra? It shows Web Special - First as "J" and First also as "J". Am I SOL?
It must be available as sAAver/U to combine it with your EY award. This kind of thing is so frustrating with AA these days.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes, an award seat will be available as both a Web Special and as a MileSAAver award; you just have to look at the results of your award search to see.

But you cannot fly Etihad to Asia 1 or Asia 2 on a single award. All AAdvantage awards to "Asia" must route via the Pacific.

(if by "Asia" you meant places like India or Pakistan, then you are OK using a single award with EY.)
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:38 pm

It must be available as sAAver/U to combine it with your EY award. This kind of thing is so frustrating with AA these days.
Yeah. For the below (DFW->ORD), Coach (Y) is 14.5K and First (J) is 24.5K. I guess I either need a T (for Coach) or U (for First) to combine with the AA EY award? So I am SOL I guess. Or could there be a T or U thats available but not showing in their front end site? Beyond frustrating that First is available for 24.5K (lower than the saver 25K) but they wont let you combine : /

Last edited by sowhatwegetdrunk; Aug 6, 2022 at 12:49 pm
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Sometimes, an award seat will be available as both a Web Special and as a MileSAAver award; you just have to look at the results of your award search to see.

But you cannot fly Etihad to Asia 1 or Asia 2 on a single award. All AAdvantage awards to "Asia" must route via the Pacific.

(if by "Asia" you meant places like India or Pakistan, then you are OK using a single award with EY.)
Or Maldives? : )

Yeah, posted screenshot above. I guess I am SOL since its not available on T or U
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess I either need a T (for Coach) or U (for First) to combine with the AA EY award?
Correct. But as guv mentioned sometimes both web special and sAAver will be available at the same time, if you actually click the flight at aa.com then a box will pop up asking if you want to book web special for X miles or sAAver for Y miles.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:03 pm

Correct. But as guv mentioned sometimes both web special and sAAver will be available at the same time, if you actually click the flight at aa.com then a box will pop up asking if you want to book web special for X miles or sAAver for Y miles.
Thanks. Anyone familiar with expert flyer? Trying out their trial to setup alert. But it does not have a U or T for these flights? Only below

C7 J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O1
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or Maldives? : )
Maldives is in AA's "Indian subcontinent" zone.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. Anyone familiar with expert flyer? Trying out their trial to setup alert. But it does not have a U or T for these flights? Only below

C7 J7 R7 D7 I7 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O1
Use the "Awards & Upgrades" search at EF.
sowhatwegetdrunk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.