Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 13, 22, 5:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2022 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here

2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

Old Jul 1, 22, 5:45 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond
Mrs. and I are travelling to Barcelona Spain and then heading back from Rome, Italy next year and I am trying (unsuccessfully) to find the best carrier for lie flat seats on the transcontinental flights that we can purchase with miles. Any tips or tricks to make this an easier search would be greatly appreciated. Travelling from the East Coast of USA. TYIA
Old Jul 1, 22, 1:45 pm

I am flying YYZ-BOS (AA flight number operated by AA) and BOS-NRT-BKK (JL flight number operated by JL). I booked the trip on AA.com and the ticket number starts with 001. Would I earn LP based on cost of the ticket or distance given the JL segments?
Thanks!
Old Jul 1, 22, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sadiqhassan View Post
I am flying YYZ-BOS (AA flight number operated by AA) and BOS-NRT-BKK (JL flight number operated by JL). I booked the trip on AA.com and the ticket number starts with 001. Would I earn LP based on cost of the ticket or distance given the JL segments?
Thanks!
Both, you'll earn based on fare for the AA YYZ-BOS segment and based on distance for the JL BOS-BKK segments.
Old Jul 1, 22, 3:34 pm

So to be brief, traveling BOS-LHR on AA in Business Class, then onward LHR-MXP on BA--who canceled our original flight in Club Europe, and we are now re-booked on a later flight, but in coach. My question relates to LHR lounge access. I was told by the AA people that our highest "flight status" (my words) applies to our whole booking, so we should be able to access lounges at LHR. We now have a 5 hr connection and I want a hot shower and food. Anyone have any experience/wisdom as to whether we will be able to access the Cathay or BA lounges in T3/T5?

Obviously, with that much time, we could go Landside and get the Arrivals lounge, and tube over to T5, but I have a faint hope that airside transiting will be less of a cluster (Dream on!)
Old Jul 2, 22, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
So to be brief, traveling BOS-LHR on AA in Business Class, then onward LHR-MXP on BA--who canceled our original flight in Club Europe, and we are now re-booked on a later flight, but in coach. My question relates to LHR lounge access. I was told by the AA people that our highest "flight status" (my words) applies to our whole booking, so we should be able to access lounges at LHR. We now have a 5 hr connection and I want a hot shower and food. Anyone have any experience/wisdom as to whether we will be able to access the Cathay or BA lounges in T3/T5?

Obviously, with that much time, we could go Landside and get the Arrivals lounge, and tube over to T5, but I have a faint hope that airside transiting will be less of a cluster (Dream on!)
Yes, you can use any of the BA Galleries Club (Business) lounges at T5 before your LHR-MXP flight based on your same day long haul BOS-LHR flight in business.
Old Jul 3, 22, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Yes, you can use any of the BA Galleries Club (Business) lounges at T5 before your LHR-MXP flight based on your same day long haul BOS-LHR flight in business.
I’d just make sure you have a paper boarding pass in case you get pushback for whatever reason.
Old Jul 3, 22, 11:21 am

Programs: QR Gold/OW Sapphire
Had flown MAD-BCN-JFK on the 29th of June with my MAD-BCN segment being handled by Iberia while AA handled my BCN-JFK flight with both flights being on the same PNR. Upon arrival at JFK, both my checked bags were delayed and was told at the time of filing my baggage claim that my bags had never been scanned beyond MAD.

After 24 hours and receiving no contact from AA about the status of the bags, I had called in and was told my bags were still in Spain. After another 24 hours, I had called AA again and was told my bags were still in Spain and they were "doing their best to locate where exactly my bags were."

I called Iberia on a whim to see if they had any additional info and to my shock, I was told that my bags had been loaded onto a flight on the 29th from MAD-JFK and had arrived before my AA flight and even touched down. Upon calling AA again after this, I was still told my bags were yet to be located. At this point, I drove myself to JFK and found my bags waiting for me at the baggage claim desk with seemingly no one being aware that they were in fact sitting for 3 days at the claims desk.

What options do I have here in terms of pursuing compensation/recourse seeing that AA failed to deliver my bags and was completely unaware that they were in JFK?

TLR - my bags were never loaded onto my final flight and was told by AA that my bags were unable to be located when in fact they had arrived on a separate flight to JFK before I had even arrived to JFK.
Old Jul 3, 22, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat
I want to use my Capital One Venture X card to book an AA flight and need to use their portal. I want a business ticket but they are only selling economy. Haven't been on AA since Covid. Can I buy economy and then buy up to business?
Old Jul 3, 22, 1:14 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by dogloverjb View Post
I want to use my Capital One Venture X card to book an AA flight and need to use their portal. I want a business ticket but they are only selling economy. Haven't been on AA since Covid. Can I buy economy and then buy up to business?
i think you can get J and F tickets to come up on the Capital One portal but you need to run the search and then select “premium” on the top search bar only after the search has been done and the Y tickets are showing. Did you try that?
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:05 am

lounge or no lounge AAdvantage Platinum/OW saphire status

YQB-ORD-MLI: Sept: business class YQB (QC, Canada) to Quad Cities, (now) 5 hr layover at ORD. Can we use a lounge in YQB?
2nd leg ORD to MLI is economy as there is no business available. Will we be able to use a lounge in ORD while we wait? If so, which one? Thank you!
Old Jul 4, 22, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by bvmcginnis View Post
YQB-ORD-MLI: Sept: business class YQB (QC, Canada) to Quad Cities, (now) 5 hr layover at ORD. Can we use a lounge in YQB?
2nd leg ORD to MLI is economy as there is no business available. Will we be able to use a lounge in ORD while we wait? If so, which one? Thank you!
Based on AA's "limited time" rules you can use any of the Admiral's Clubs in ORD during your connection due to your same day international business class flight from YQB-ORD. There is no AA lounge in YQB.
bvmcginnis likes this.
Old Jul 4, 22, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
If I book a basic economy ticket as a platinum, will I earn LPs? I thought BE didn't earn LPs, but when I go to check-out I see the number of LPs and RDMs to be accrued. And if I cancel, I'll receive a trip credit, correct?
Old Jul 4, 22, 8:21 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyFreakquently View Post
If I book a basic economy ticket as a platinum, will I earn LPs? I thought BE didn't earn LPs, but when I go to check-out I see the number of LPs and RDMs to be accrued. And if I cancel, I'll receive a trip credit, correct?
LP’s are per dollar spent regardless of fare.

Outside of schedule changes > 4 hours, BE are “use it or lose it” fares.
Old Jul 4, 22, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by thatmikereed View Post
LP’s are per dollar spent regardless of fare.

Outside of schedule changes > 4 hours, BE are “use it or lose it” fares.
Got it. Got confused because I haven't booked a BE ticket since the switch to LPs, and I knew BE tickets didn't earn any EQDs/EQMs/EQSs previously.
Old Jul 5, 22, 1:50 am

Programs: IML Gold, SPG LTPE, WOH Globalist, Starbucks Gold
For trips where AA member with status traveling on same reservation as non-status member, do they extend the free "main cabin extra" seats to the other passengers on same reservation?

Search this Thread