Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 13, 22, 5:15 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Welcome to the 2022 "NEWBIE LOUNGE"Ask Your Consolidated / Combined AA Questions Here (flame free)
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST:
(This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the Newbie Lounge!
Welcome to Flyertalk!

The Newbie Lounge is a place for newer and less experienced members to ask their questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program and have answered by our more experienced and knowledgeable members. Feel free to ask any question related to American Airlines and AAdvantage here.

NOTE: This is a "flame free" thread; flaming, personal criticism for "failing to search" etc. is not allowed (if posted, the post will be summarily deleted, the poster subject to sanctions).

Advanced questions posed by veteran FT users may be moved and / or merged into existing master or GUIDE threads, most of which have Wikiposts at the top of the page that contain summaries of important information.

We volunteer Moderators monitor this "lounge" thread to assist you as well. When browsing the fora, look at the page tops of the various forums. There will be a menu, and often "sticky" threads, and threads with header "wiki posts" (created and maintained by the FlyerTalk community) with important information relating to that forum / topic.
Don't hesitate to contact a moderator or another member if you have any additional questions. You can PM the Moderators by clicking on , which pops up a message box; the message goes to all this forum's Moderators. Note that unlike some sites with paid staff moderators, FlyerTalk Moderators are volunteers, and most work, travel, go on holiday, etc. You can Private Message us using the PM system (My Flyertalk) and our handles.

We're glad you've chosen to join the Flyertalk frequent flyer community!

Your American Airlines | AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team,

AZ Travels the World, aztimm, dstan, JDiver, JY1024, Microwave

(Our thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL.)
Important links:

Link to American Airlines Conditions of Carriage

Link to AAdvantage Terms and Conditions

NOTE: See below for links to the archived older threads.

Q. How can I find information more easily than reading through all the threads? Now that I'm here, what do I do next?

Check out the following resources:

Searching can be key to finding important information and answers without waiting for someone to drop by and answer, and it helps prevent that information fragmentation. FlyerTalk Advanced Search can seem quirky to the infrequent user, but it's fairly powerful if one knows how to use it. There are several ways to search:
Forum basics: Now that the new AA has become by some measures "the world's largest airline", this new, combined has become a "mega-forum", very large, very active - and theoretically very difficult to find information and easy to lose one's place. Having to search for and sort through dozens - or more - of threads on baggage, airports, minimum connect times or the like could soon become unproductive and discouraging.

To prevent this from occurring, please note we try to:

Keep a few "sticky" threads: such as GUIDE posts, OSO / IROPS, etc. for urgent and quick reference, such as basic "where do I find" reasons

Keep threads to specific topics: Prevent information fragmentation and loss by consolidating questions, answers and discussion of one topic contained in one thread. (This also honors those members who have already shared valuable information and experiences.)

"Popular" threads are likely to have a Wikipost at the head that will summarize important information and have resource links. These are "community property", and as any wiki are established, maintained and updated by the members (with 90 days of tenure and 90 posts on FlyerTalk).

You may find your question or post merged into one of those threads. Be sure that we will leave a link behind from your original thread, and to look up to see if there's a wiki with information. We apologize for any possible inconvenience or difference between this forum and others, but we think you'll like some of the resources and tools here to enable more convenient, comfortable travel on AA and greater knowledge sharing.

Keep it welcoming: We're proud the members of both FFPs have kept the brickbats to a minimum; we want this forum to be welcoming, civil and information rich, so name calling (including calling a member one disagrees with "AApologist") and snark are not tolerated. Posts with such are likely to be summarily deleted in their entirety; repeated such behavior may result in suspension of one's membership privileges or being banned from this forum. Let's keep it friendly and in accordance with the FT Rules.

FlyerTalk Rules (We all agree to abide by these, and are held accountable.)

NOTE: 2021 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here

2020 NEWBIE LOUNGE posts are here.

2019 NEWBIE LOUNGE older posts are here.

The 2018 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2017 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

The 2016 AA NEWBIE LOUNGE post thread is here

Thanks for reading!

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 20, 22, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DreamHigh View Post
Is AA about to change how miles are given for AA-marketed, partner-operated flights?

My mileage for an AA code, B6 flight posted on distance. I thought it would be based on fare. I've chatted with a web agent and called into the AAdvantage Svc Ctr and both agents have insisted that the mileage credit is correct, and that even if it is AA-marketed, a partner-operated flight would post based on distance (contrary to their own website).
How did you book the flight? Even some AA marketed flights have always posted by distance depending on how they were booked (i.e. as part of a vacation package, etc.).
Old Jun 21, 22, 6:20 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
How did you book the flight? Even some AA marketed flights have always posted by distance depending on how they were booked (i.e. as part of a vacation package, etc.).
not a vacation package, direct on the AA website for BOS-LGA
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:45 am

Looking at a flight from JFK - LHR on AA next week. I am travelling with my partner. The plane a Boeing 777-300ER (77W) according to the AA website.

I am selecting seats (Coach only) and noticed that rows 41/42/43 have only two seats on each side instead of three. I would avoid 43 since seats may not recline. Is there anything wrong with 41A, 41C, 41J, 41L and the same in row 42?

These seats sound great for us as a couple to have our own space but not sure if I am missing a red flag/problem with them?
Old Jun 21, 22, 8:54 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by cagiva92 View Post
Looking at a flight from JFK - LHR on AA next week. I am travelling with my partner. The plane a Boeing 777-300ER (77W) according to the AA website.

I am selecting seats (Coach only) and noticed that rows 41/42/43 have only two seats on each side instead of three. I would avoid 43 since seats may not recline. Is there anything wrong with 41A, 41C, 41J, 41L and the same in row 42?

These seats sound great for us as a couple to have our own space but not sure if I am missing a red flag/problem with them?
No they're perfectly fine, you might get some noise from the FA's in the galley depending on how chatty they are and the seats aren't quite as flush to the fuselage as the rows of 3 so that might matter if you sleep that way. You'll also be last off the plane, no big deal if London is your final destination but it can add some spice to connections. Personally I actually perfer the last row, there isn't much loss of recline and I can do it when I want without thought of the person behind me (I'm not the type of bum that reclines fully when someone is having their meal etc).

---

I do have a question here: two of my Web Specials were booked through ORD with a 2.5hr layover, AA have moved me to the later flight (original still exists) with a 1h10m layover. Is it possible to switch back? I will call them but just wanted some experiences in the back pocket before I do so, I wouldn't have booked a routing with an evening flight in thunderstorm season with a ~1hr international connection in ORD of all places.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 View Post
I am platinum and have a Web saver award flight to HOU tomorrow. I have a return flight Friday on a purchased fare. Both flights are late night and not crowded and there should be some upgrade inventory open on one or more segments.

My question is whether upgrades are possible on web saver. My return flight already shows the upgrade requested and complementary in the app but the outbound flight does not have the button and it does not show the upgrade/ standby list yet either.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
No, upgrades on award tickets are only a benefit for EXP's.
JJeffrey already answered, but figured I'd also leave a link for reference:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...e-upgrades.jsp

Upgrades on award tickets

AAdvantage Executive Platinum members can use complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage award tickets for travel within North America on American.
Old Jun 21, 22, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
I do have a question here: two of my Web Specials were booked through ORD with a 2.5hr layover, AA have moved me to the later flight (original still exists) with a 1h10m layover. Is it possible to switch back? I will call them but just wanted some experiences in the back pocket before I do so, I wouldn't have booked a routing with an evening flight in thunderstorm season with a ~1hr international connection in ORD of all places.
With a change over 60 minutes, you should have no problem calling and asking to be put on an earlier flight.
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls View Post
No they're perfectly fine, you might get some noise from the FA's in the galley depending on how chatty they are and the seats aren't quite as flush to the fuselage as the rows of 3 so that might matter if you sleep that way. You'll also be last off the plane, no big deal if London is your final destination but it can add some spice to connections. Personally I actually perfer the last row, there isn't much loss of recline and I can do it when I want without thought of the person behind me (I'm not the type of bum that reclines fully when someone is having their meal etc).

---

Thanks! We do have a connecting flight with only a 70 minute connection time. I am British and my partner is American. I believe we need to clear immigration and security as well, so it may be tight.

Do you think the connection time is short enough that it is worth giving up these better seats for something further forward? We could sit in the 20s right now
Old Jun 21, 22, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA

Thanks! We do have a connecting flight with only a 70 minute connection time. I am British and my partner is American. I believe we need to clear immigration and security as well, so it may be tight.

Do you think the connection time is short enough that it is worth giving up these better seats for something further forward? We could sit in the 20s right now
As it stands now, for a T5-T5 connection 60 minutes is the MCT, so your connection is only 10 minutes above the MCT. Not enough for me personally, but I'm risk averse. Are you connecting internationally or to a domestic flight? You'll only clear immigration if connecting domestically, not internationally.

Depending on when your flight is, however, there are rumors that AA is switching all flights back to T3 soon which would make your 70 minute connection below the MCT for a T3 to T5 connection.
Old Jun 21, 22, 4:33 pm

AA use of arrival lounge at LHR

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022:
Ask AA newbie questions here -
N.B. flame-free thread

I will be flying American Airlines Flagship First JFK to LHR in October. The flight is coming into terminal five but American Airlines arrival lounge is in terminal three. Do we have to get from one terminal to the other after immigration/customs or can we use the BA arrivals lounge in terminal 5?
Old Jun 21, 22, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Skittybelle View Post
I will be flying American Airlines Flagship First JFK to LHR in October. The flight is coming into terminal five but American Airlines arrival lounge is in terminal three. Do we have to get from one terminal to the other after immigration/customs or can we use the BA arrivals lounge in terminal 5?
Yes, AA F and J customers on flights arriving into T5 can use the BA Arrivals Lounge.
Skittybelle likes this.
Old Jun 22, 22, 11:19 am

Rookie mistake - closed page without getting a confirmation number and haven't received an email. Did not book with my AA FF#. I seem to remember a page where you could look up a reservation by date/name/departure airport, but I can't find it for me. Do I need to call to get my reservation details if I never get this email?

EDIT: If anyone is reading this after making the same mistake, use AA app chat. Resolved in under ten minutes. I first tried calling in and after a 45 minute wait for a callback I spent 30 minutes with an agent who could not find the record locator number, even with exact flight #s and times.
Skittybelle likes this.

Last edited by godlovesugly; Jun 22, 22 at 2:08 pm
Old Jun 22, 22, 3:52 pm

thank you for the answer… one more thing off my checklist
Old Jun 22, 22, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
BAEC in peace!

I have a cash booking (mainly I class) from EU to HNL. It is a 001 ticket in mix of BA and AA metal. I am BA GGL - which equates v roughly to Concierge Key exec plat in AA world. I can see that my BOS-LAX flight has lots of F availability (F7 A4) and wondered if there is any way I can use Avios or anything else (29 500m upgrades from 10 yrs ago!) to upgrade from J to F? thanks all. wj
Old Jun 22, 22, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA PPro 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by wanderingjock View Post
BAEC in peace!

I have a cash booking (mainly I class) from EU to HNL. It is a 001 ticket in mix of BA and AA metal. I am BA GGL - which equates v roughly to Concierge Key exec plat in AA world. I can see that my BOS-LAX flight has lots of F availability (F7 A4) and wondered if there is any way I can use Avios or anything else (29 500m upgrades from 10 yrs ago!) to upgrade from J to F? thanks all. wj
Unfortunately Avios won't help you here and the 500 mile upgrades are only valid from Y to the next cabin of service. I don't believe you could use them unless you are flying under your AAdvantage number in any case.

Your best bet is to download the AA app and pull up your reservation every few days in the weeks leading up to your trip. If F inventory stays open you will likely get a cash upgrade offer to pop up on the top of the screen after a few seconds of viewing the reservation. The offers vary widely and can change day-to-day. There is a good thread here if you want to learn more about the process and what is considered a good deal: AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jun 23, 22, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
You should get it automatically but to be safe it is a good idea to have AA remove and restore your AAdvantage number on an flights that were booked before you achieved the status. This also makes it more certain that you will receive any other status benefits.
Thanks, Ill definitely do that - is there anyway to do this online/via the chat or do I need to just call in?

Search this Thread