Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2022, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
I went through LHR two weeks ago around the same time for flight 107 and during the tail end of the UK holidays. Three hours will be plenty of time, even with bags. J bag drop looked pretty light.

The normal fast track took about five minutes from boarding pass scan to the Millionaire's Door. Took this approach as the F wing line was pretty long.
If security took 5 minutes, boarding starts about 40 minutes before flight and it takes half an hour to walk to the gate, and we add 45 minutes for miscellany, two hours should be more than enough, shouldn't it?

No checked bags.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Any way to find out the exact reason for an aborted take-off?

Yesterday, June 18, AA # 2382 DFW-LGA, 5-10 minute delay at hold short line for unknown reason, take-off aborted after about 1000-2000’ of runway. I estimate a rapid deceleration from about 40-50 mph, no injuries, seatbelts of questionable necessity in this instance. Taxied to a different gate, deplaned, flight rescheduled for 1-2 hours later from a different gate with different airplane and same cabin crew, unknown if same pilots. I asked a gate agent if they had been told what the problem was and she said (paraphrasing) that some of the readings were not usual. Landed at LGA ~3 hours late.

Thank you.

(Flight attendants were quite unprofessional. After 2-3 minutes of sitting in the middle of the runway after the aborted take-off (prior to taxing back to a gate) one flight attendant said on the PA system “that’s why you” and then 2 of them finished the sentence by basically singing “always wear your seatbelt.”)
Old Jun 19, 2022, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski

Yesterday, June 18, AA # 2382 DFW-LGA, 5-10 minute delay at hold short line for unknown reason, take-off aborted after about 1000-2000’ of runway. I estimate a rapid deceleration from about 40-50 mph, no injuries, seatbelts of questionable necessity in this instance. Taxied to a different gate, deplaned, flight rescheduled for 1-2 hours later from a different gate with different airplane and same cabin crew, unknown if same pilots. I asked a gate agent if they had been told what the problem was and she said (paraphrasing) that some of the readings were not usual. Landed at LGA ~3 hours late.

Thank you.

(Flight attendants were quite unprofessional. After 2-3 minutes of sitting in the middle of the runway after the aborted take-off (prior to taxing back to a gate) one flight attendant said on the PA system “that’s why you” and then 2 of them finished the sentence by basically singing “always wear your seatbelt.”)
There's no public way I'm aware of to get that level of detail other than asking the pilots or ground crew at DFW. ExpertFlyer just says flight delay due to aircraft maintenance. As the GA mentioned something just didn't look right once they started the takeoff roll.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 5:38 pm

Checked bags, delayed flight question: Normally, with checked bags, I try to time it so I'm checking those bags in at least 90-120 minutes prior to departure. Let's say you know up front that your flight is delayed by say 2 hours. Can you arrive 2 hours later than originally planned and checked bags then, or is the cut off the same based on originally scheduled times? Happy to hear both official as well as practical advice.
Old Jun 19, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, United Premier Exec, Virgin Gold
Hi am flying to Cancun next month from Charlotte. 1 of us is BA gold and 1 BA silver. I’m getting confused with the lounge access policy for both CLT and CUN. Any advice please?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cssmd27
Checked bags, delayed flight question: Normally, with checked bags, I try to time it so I'm checking those bags in at least 90-120 minutes prior to departure. Let's say you know up front that your flight is delayed by say 2 hours. Can you arrive 2 hours later than originally planned and checked bags then, or is the cut off the same based on originally scheduled times? Happy to hear both official as well as practical advice.
For a delay situation like that you should be able to check in 2 hours later than normal, AFAIK.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ade99
Hi am flying to Cancun next month from Charlotte. 1 of us is BA gold and 1 BA silver. I’m getting confused with the lounge access policy for both CLT and CUN. Any advice please?
Nothing confusing about it as a BA Gold (oneworld Emerald) and BA Silver (oneworld Sapphire) both of you always get lounge access before any oneworld flight.

So at CLT you can use either of the AA Admirals Clubs before your CLT-CUN flight. AA doesn't have a lounge at CUN so no access there if you're returning the same way.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
The pedants here would tell you it's called a "rejected takeoff". Good thing I'm not one of them.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 6:48 am

Programs: AA EXP
Newly platinum and got my first upgrade on a flight later today. Flying SNA-ORD-DCA. Upgrade is ORD-DCA. Does this allow me Admirals club access in ORD?
Old Jun 20, 2022, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Newly platinum and got my first upgrade on a flight later today. Flying SNA-ORD-DCA. Upgrade is ORD-DCA. Does this allow me Admirals club access in ORD?
Sorry, no.
AirricK11 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by AirricK11
Non-premium (i.e. not JFK-SFO/LAX or DFW/ORD/CLT-Hawaii) domestic first class doesn't provide club access. Platinum only provides lounge access before international flights.

Congrats on the upgrade.
AirricK11 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by cssmd27
If the airline sends you a message that changes the check-in time then it is safe. Otherwise it can be risky. If you are at an outstation, the incoming aircraft is delayed in flight, and there is no way the airline can find a substitute then it is fairly safe but they may still close on the original schedule for staffing reasons. If the cause is a mechanical problem then all bets are off. If you are at a hub then you really need a message from the airline.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I am platinum and have a Web saver award flight to HOU tomorrow. I have a return flight Friday on a purchased fare. Both flights are late night and not crowded and there should be some upgrade inventory open on one or more segments.

My question is whether upgrades are possible on web saver. My return flight already shows the upgrade requested and complementary in the app but the outbound flight does not have the button and it does not show the upgrade/ standby list yet either.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
I am platinum and have a Web saver award flight to HOU tomorrow. I have a return flight Friday on a purchased fare. Both flights are late night and not crowded and there should be some upgrade inventory open on one or more segments.

My question is whether upgrades are possible on web saver. My return flight already shows the upgrade requested and complementary in the app but the outbound flight does not have the button and it does not show the upgrade/ standby list yet either.
No, upgrades on award tickets are only a benefit for EXP's.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
Is AA about to change how miles are given for AA-marketed, partner-operated flights?

My mileage for an AA code, B6 flight posted on distance. I thought it would be based on fare. I've chatted with a web agent and called into the AAdvantage Svc Ctr and both agents have insisted that the mileage credit is correct, and that even if it is AA-marketed, a partner-operated flight would post based on distance (contrary to their own website).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.