Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jun 8, 2022, 3:40 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
OK, but don't let your AA miles expire!

Edited to add: On December 2, you can do RAK-YVR with no overnight and no airport change, but because the TATL segment is on BA, the cash component will be slightly over $200 USD
The BA thing isn't a bad idea, I'm sure I just disregarded it because of the cash outlay associated. Might have to take it anyway.

As a sidebar, I don't intend to let my miles expire, it's not a lot, but it's enough miles to DO SOMETHING with. Question, does buying miles reset the clock? Better yet, would transferring miles in from Bonvoy reset the clock? I can do either of those relatively easily/low cost and kick the can down the road on this another 12 months or whatever. I couldn't find a definitive answer in what I was reading online. I don't have any need for hotels/car rentals otherwise I'd do that.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by emeyesee
Did I just start booking too late and everything is sold out already? Am I missing something obvious? Are there any other routes I can look at? I appreciate any advice, thank you!
No, exactly the opposite actually, you're just looking too soon. Searching 6-8 months out is a dead zone for int'l premium class award availability, you missed any of the few seats made available when the booking window opened, and it's still way too soon for airlines to release space closer in to the date.

The good news is that since you're flexible on dates it shouldn't be any problem to find something in Jan/Feb, just keep an eye on it over the next 6 months. Also be open to flying into different cities then just buy a separate ticket up to OSL.

Last tip, if you're open to economy on the way over and Business on the return then it's possible to book something now on BA for much less in surcharges. BA surcharges vary by country of departure (Scandinavia is some of the lowest).

For example, here's a nice 10 day trip. Depart on 1/13 SEA-LHR-OSL in AA/BA economy, 22.5k miles + $26, return on 1/24 OSL-LHR-SEA on BA in business for 57.5k miles + $254 in taxes/fees. You have to book this as two separate one-way reservations (there's no downside). Lots of other dates open as well.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:06 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
As a sidebar, I don't intend to let my miles expire, it's not a lot, but it's enough miles to DO SOMETHING with. Question, does buying miles reset the clock? Better yet, would transferring miles in from Bonvoy reset the clock? I can do either of those relatively easily/low cost and kick the can down the road on this another 12 months or whatever. I couldn't find a definitive answer in what I was reading online. I don't have any need for hotels/car rentals otherwise I'd do that.
Any account activity resets the expiration. A simple one is to donate 1,000 miles to one of AA's approved charities if that is available to you.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
The BA thing isn't a bad idea, I'm sure I just disregarded it because of the cash outlay associated. Might have to take it anyway.

No need to jump through any hoops. Earning or redeeming AA miles resets the expiration date, so booking any trip with AA miles resets the expiration date. And all AAdvantage award redemptions are now fully refundable, so you can book RAK-YVR now, and if, down the road, you decide that that itinerary does not work for you, you can just cancel it and get your miles and cash co-pay refunded. (Because of currency fluctuations, you might get a little more or a little less cash refunded.)

Cancelling an award and getting the associated miles reinstated will further extend the expiration date.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 8, 2022 at 9:47 am
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, exactly the opposite actually, you're just looking too soon. Searching 6-8 months out is a dead zone for int'l premium class award availability, you missed any of the few seats made available when the booking window opened, and it's still way too soon for airlines to release space closer in to the date.
Oh my goodness thank you! This is the best news ever . I was searching every possible route I could think of and there was just nothing there.

For example, here's a nice 10 day trip. Depart on 1/13 SEA-LHR-OSL in AA/BA economy, 22.5k miles + $26, return on 1/24 OSL-LHR-SEA on BA in business for 57.5k miles + $254 in taxes/fees. You have to book this as two separate one-way reservations (there's no downside). Lots of other dates open as well.
Yes I actually have something very similar on hold. I just don't want want to fly business on BA if I can help it. This is my first time in Business and it's something I've saved for over a long time, so I want it to be perfect... and my research says BA uses an old configuration that's 2-3-2 where the seats aren't as nice. I'd much prefer the 1-2-1 on AA Business which looks more comfortable and private.
gateH15 likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emeyesee
Yes I actually have something very similar on hold. I just don't want want to fly business on BA if I can help it. This is my first time in Business and it's something I've saved for over a long time, so I want it to be perfect... and my research says BA uses an old configuration that's 2-3-2 where the seats aren't as nice. I'd much prefer the 1-2-1 on AA Business which looks more comfortable and private.
But about ~half of BA's longhaul fleet has been updated to a similar 1-2-1 business suite similar to AA's, so it all depends on the specific plane and route you're going to be on.

AA allows free changes and cancellations on awards, so I would book whatever you can find now on BA then just fine tune that over the coming months as availability comes and goes. But again if you want to save on the surcharges make sure you book separate one way reservations with business class on the return flights from OSL.
Old Jun 8, 2022, 4:05 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by MADPhil
Any account activity resets the expiration. A simple one is to donate 1,000 miles to one of AA's approved charities if that is available to you.
Perfect explanation, thanks. TBH I would just donate, but I think the minimum is 1,000 and I've got 25,100 so I don't really wanna drop down below that 25,000 I'll just Marriott in like 4900 miles and then maybe 30,000 will be able to do me some good. Thanks!

Originally Posted by guv1976
No need to jump through any hoops. Earning or redeeming AA miles resets the expiration date, so booking any trip with AA miles resets the expiration date. And all AAdvantage award redemptions are now fully refundable, so you can book RAK-YVR now, and if, down the road, you decide that that itinerary does not work for you, you can just cancel it and get your miles and cash co-pay refunded. (Because of currency fluctuations, you might get a little more or a little less cash refunded.)

Cancelling an award and getting the associated miles reinstated will further extend the expiration date.
I wasn't sure they'd let me do that since that's how I got here in the first place. But it sounds like thats the rule as opposed to an exception that was made for me. Might just go this route then. Thanks! Good to know I've got a couple options here.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:20 am
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Connecting Int to Dom in JFK soon, are the mask rules enforced? Given they aren’t needed at either end or on board I wasn’t going to bring any..
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:36 pm

Do flights purchased with a trip credit earn LPs?
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
Do flights purchased with a trip credit earn LPs?
Yes.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 5:27 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Main Plus Question

Not a regular AA flyer. During booking I see the offer for "Main Plus" as shown in the picture. Says it includes "1 additional free checked bag". When I do a dummy booking if I choose to upgrade to the "Main Plus" option, it bumps the price accordingly but I never see anything indicating that a bag is included. I am able to choose an MCE seat for no additional charge so it seems to be working as advertised. On many other airlines when choosing a bundle somewhere in the trip summary it says a checked bag is included. Does AA not do that?

When I am paying for a checked bag, I like to screen shot something saying I've already paid for a bag so that when I get to the counter and they try to charge me, I have proof that I've paid.

Old Jun 11, 2022, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PATRLR
Not a regular AA flyer. During booking I see the offer for "Main Plus" as shown in the picture. Says it includes "1 additional free checked bag". When I do a dummy booking if I choose to upgrade to the "Main Plus" option, it bumps the price accordingly but I never see anything indicating that a bag is included. I am able to choose an MCE seat for no additional charge so it seems to be working as advertised. On many other airlines when choosing a bundle somewhere in the trip summary it says a checked bag is included. Does AA not do that?

When I am paying for a checked bag, I like to screen shot something saying I've already paid for a bag so that when I get to the counter and they try to charge me, I have proof that I've paid.

​​​​​​Your e-ticket receipt will indicate your baggage allowance. Unless this is a last-minute booking, you will have 24 hours after you purchase your ticket to cancel for a full refund to your original form of payment if your receipt does not indicate that you get a free checked bag.
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:16 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
So current website cancel policy currently reads:

"Canceling flight awards and reinstating miles

If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

Contact Reservations for help reinstating miles on a trip that:
  • Involves travel on partner airlines"
So, if I book an award flight on AA.com, operated by BA and need to cancel, I will get back all my miles and all the fees? BA takes something like 55GBP back. But AA takes nothing back?

Also - am I allowed to use a Trip Credit towards AA Award flights (for the fee component)? And am I allowed to use the $125 AA flight discount certificate (earned via the AA credit card, towards the AA Award flight component)? If yes, to both or either, if I cancel will these be given back and/or reusable?
Old Jun 11, 2022, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
So current website cancel policy currently reads:

"Canceling flight awards and reinstating miles

If your plans change and you no longer wish to travel, you can cancel your trip anytime on aa.com. We’ll reinstate your miles and refund eligible taxes and fees up to 1 year after the ticket issue date, but you have to cancel your trip before the first flight departs. If you cancel your trip on aa.com, your miles will be reinstated and your refund will be requested automatically in most cases. There is no fee to reinstate your miles.

Contact Reservations for help reinstating miles on a trip that:
  • Involves travel on partner airlines"
So, if I book an award flight on AA.com, operated by BA and need to cancel, I will get back all my miles and all the fees? BA takes something like 55GBP back. But AA takes nothing back?

Also - am I allowed to use a Trip Credit towards AA Award flights (for the fee component)? And am I allowed to use the $125 AA flight discount certificate (earned via the AA credit card, towards the AA Award flight component)? If yes, to both or either, if I cancel will these be given back and/or reusable?
AA takes nothing, but your actual cash refund could be more or less than what you actually paid, depending on currency fluctuations between the date of purchase and the date of refund. BA will charge you the lesser of their cancellation fee or the amount of cash you actually paid for the award redemption. Note that BA might charge fewer miles (Avios) than AA would for certain redemptions.

I'll let someone else weigh in on the use of Trip Credits and flight discount certificates on award redemptions, but if I had to guess, I would say that you cannot use either on award redemptions.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 11, 2022 at 5:04 pm
Old Jun 12, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: AA Exp, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Wyndham & Caesars Diamond,
Spouse (gold) and I (plat pro) want to book 2 seats on AA LAX-ORD, one with points, one for cash. Can we combine these two on one PNR since I am Plat Pro and would get free MCE seats when booked?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.