Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2022, 8:10 pm

Missed connection in PHL to MLE on QR J due to
Maintenance issues on AA initial flight .

AA help desk at PHL airport can only reroute me on Y tomorrow. is it possible to be rerouted on J QR since it’s AA’s fault? AA call desk wait is 2 hrs…
Old Jun 5, 2022, 2:07 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am redeeming AAward on MIA-LAX for 4 of us at early January (my guess is that it is peak time of travel). I was offered MIA-AUS-LAX, with the option of either 37 minutes or 2 hour 39 minutes transit at AUS. The arrival time at LAX of 2:40pm would be the same (ie the longer transit option meant I need to catch the 8:30am flight to AUS, rather than 10:25pm. I do need to connect to SQ flight to SIN at 22:25 on the same day at LAX.

is 37 minutes transit at AUS be enough? If I miss the 1:18pm AUS-LAX flight, the next AA flight to LAX would be 2:43pm flight but then after that is 9pm flight which meant I would miss the SQ flight. If 2:43pm flight to LAX is full does it mean that I won't get to LAX until late at night, and if so, is it worth risking 37 minute transit time at AUS?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by avidchurner
Missed connection in PHL to MLE on QR J due to
Maintenance issues on AA initial flight .

AA help desk at PHL airport can only reroute me on Y tomorrow. is it possible to be rerouted on J QR since it’s AA’s fault? AA call desk wait is 2 hrs…
Yes as long as there is availability in business. Do the research yourself and ask specifically for a new routing thst has business class availability.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kamchatsky
I am redeeming AAward on MIA-LAX for 4 of us at early January (my guess is that it is peak time of travel). I was offered MIA-AUS-LAX, with the option of either 37 minutes or 2 hour 39 minutes transit at AUS. The arrival time at LAX of 2:40pm would be the same (ie the longer transit option meant I need to catch the 8:30am flight to AUS, rather than 10:25pm. I do need to connect to SQ flight to SIN at 22:25 on the same day at LAX.

is 37 minutes transit at AUS be enough? If I miss the 1:18pm AUS-LAX flight, the next AA flight to LAX would be 2:43pm flight but then after that is 9pm flight which meant I would miss the SQ flight. If 2:43pm flight to LAX is full does it mean that I won't get to LAX until late at night, and if so, is it worth risking 37 minute transit time at AUS?
For travel in January the schedules are almost certainly going to change several times before then, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Just book whatever then when the schedule changes post later this year call AA and hopefully switch to a MIA-LAX nonstop.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 6:22 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
For travel in January the schedules are almost certainly going to change several times before then, so I wouldn't worry too much.

Just book whatever then when the schedule changes post later this year call AA and hopefully switch to a MIA-LAX nonstop.
OK then. I will wait for the schedule change to then convince them to change it to non-stop.

Another question. I have literally booked LAX-MIA-TPA on Aaward yesterday. Today LAX-MIA schedule changed so that the transit time at MIA is now only 40 minutes instead of 2:10 (ie depart LAX later). The MIA-TPA flight time does not change. Does this allow me to call AAgent to change the flights so that it will arrive TPA earlier, assuming that I can transit via other city (say DFW), or even a direct flight (not sure if missus likes it as it is a red-eye flight of under 5 hours)?
Old Jun 5, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes as long as there is availability in business. Do the research yourself and ask specifically for a new routing thst has business class availability.
Totally agree that going to them with solutions is the best bet.

And I believe it should be any business (I.e., J) given the delay, not just the bucket used for the awards on QR (“U”). The agents may not be inclined or be aware to look beyond the award buckets.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I've got 25,000 miles, my original plan was to use them on a LATAM award (I had already done that then had to cancel blah blah) now I see my miles expire in about a week and that LATAM is no longer a partner.

I'm in Canada so earning more miles isn't as simple as a credit card purchase. I could transfer miles from Bonvoy to AA, but I'm not 100% sure that would extend their lifespan. Would it?

My other question is, seems like AA generously denotes Morocco as Europe as opposed to Africa. Is it possible to route from Morocco-Doha-North America? Or is that invalid because it's a third zone? It seems like everyone route offered to me from either TNG, RAK, RBA or CMN involve an overnight and/or airport change be it in Paris, London, LA, Seattle or DC.

Sorry I'm a rookie when it comes to AA miles, so all of this is a little foreign to me. Not being able to search every partner easily doesn't really help the matter.

Thoughts on what I should do here? I'm looking to travel DEC 2 from Morocco to YVR fwiw.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Routing via the Middle East would require two separate awards.

All options from CMN to YVR appear to require two overnights:

CMN-SEA can be had with one overnight -- in CLT:

Old Jun 6, 2022, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CMN-YVR is available with a single overnight on December 1.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
CMN-YVR is available with a single overnight on December 1.
Nice to know they CAN accomplish it, unfortunately Dec 2 would be the first day I'm ready to travel, oh well. Maybe I'll check other currencies. It seemed great that Morocco was considered Europe, but in the end it kinda works against me.

Thanks for looking anyway folks.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 2:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drvannostren
Nice to know they CAN accomplish it, unfortunately Dec 2 would be the first day I'm ready to travel, oh well. Maybe I'll check other currencies. It seemed great that Morocco was considered Europe, but in the end it kinda works against me.

Thanks for looking anyway folks.
OK, but don't let your AA miles expire!

Edited to add: On December 2, you can do RAK-YVR with no overnight and no airport change, but because the TATL segment is on BA, the cash component will be slightly over $200 USD.

Last edited by guv1976; Jun 7, 2022 at 3:01 am
Old Jun 7, 2022, 1:26 pm

iOS app update log states “Admirals Club® members can now access their digital membership card in the app.”

I can’t find it anywhere. Can anyone point me to how to see it?
Old Jun 7, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
I'm looking at an AA business flight next year, currently scheduled to be on a 777. I was looking at AeroLOPA, and I saw they have a schematic for the front-back Concept D as well as the all-forward facing seats. Do they still have those? I looked at the AA plane page, but they only list the seat capacities, and since they appear to be the same it doesn't address that.

It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather avoid the front-back configuration. Recognizing there's no telling about the future, are these typically limited to specific routes/markets? (I'm looking at Spain.) How many of AA's 772s have this configuration?

Thanks for any help.

FTF
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
I'm looking at an AA business flight next year, currently scheduled to be on a 777. I was looking at AeroLOPA, and I saw they have a schematic for the front-back Concept D as well as the all-forward facing seats. Do they still have those? I looked at the AA plane page, but they only list the seat capacities, and since they appear to be the same it doesn't address that.

It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather avoid the front-back configuration. Recognizing there's no telling about the future, are these typically limited to specific routes/markets? (I'm looking at Spain.) How many of AA's 772s have this configuration?
Yes, AA still operates a mixed fleet of 772's, some with the all forward facing (BE) and some with the forward/backward (Zodiac). While certain configs tend to make it onto some routes more than others it's still really just the luck of the draw. You typically won't know until about 24 hours before the flight what config you're getting.

See the below thread for numbers, seat recommendations, how to track what config you'll end up with, etc.

Aircraft guide: Which 777-200ER / 772 / 777? (2019 on)
madmanshoney likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 9:01 pm

Hi all, I'm at a loss here and a little heartbroken, so a friend told me about Flyer Talk and suggested I ask here. I'm trying to book my dream vacation from SEA to Oslo for January or early February. I'm honestly really flexible for the dates, I just want 10 days (though it would be great to overlap my birthday on Jan 22nd, but I'll survive if I can't).

I have been saving my American Advantage miles for ages, and I have enough to book one way in business class and one way in economy on miles. But it looks like there is ZERO availability for the MileSaver flight from SEA -> LHR or LHR->SEA in business any time in January or even February. I've even tried SFO, LAX and ORD and no luck. I don't want to fly British Airways because the surcharges are outrageous and I've heard their business class is not as nice, but that's the only other option I see.

Did I just start booking too late and everything is sold out already? Am I missing something obvious? Are there any other routes I can look at? I appreciate any advice, thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.