Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2022, 10:42 pm

Programs: one world american airline
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you intend to use AA miles then you need to search and book at aa.com (or call AA).
Thank you Jeffrey for clearing that confusion.
I'll be calling AAdvantage to see if they will Upgrade my status from Platinum to Platinum Pro, so I would gain oneworld Emerald status. Ill report back on to what they say on this.

Also I thought under AA status they would request upgrade to next class- im assuming upgrades are a rarity in AA network?
Old May 22, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by mudasirsnet
Thank you Jeffrey for clearing that confusion.
I'll be calling AAdvantage to see if they will Upgrade my status from Platinum to Platinum Pro, so I would gain oneworld Emerald status. Ill report back on to what they say on this.

Also I thought under AA status they would request upgrade to next class- im assuming upgrades are a rarity in AA network?
they'll give you platinum pro - when you qualify for it.

you do get waitlisted for upgrades on domestic flights. Lots of folks ahead of you on the list.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Using Companion Pass - upgrade eligible?

First time poster, thanks in advance for the insight!
If I have a companion traveling on with me on a companion ticket (Aviator Red $ Spend) are they eligible to get upgraded, or does their ticket have to be a paid fare as well? I will be Platinum / Platinum Pro status at time of flight. I have 500 mile certs to use if necessary for companion. My fare will be paid fare, as that's the only way to use the companion pass, I believe?

Thanks,
Yank
Old May 23, 2022, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Can one double upgrade from Economy to First, bypassing business, using BXP1 certs as long as the economy ticket is a proper fare? I see 7 A seats open on Expert Flyer but no C inventory at this time.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Can one double upgrade from Economy to First, bypassing business, using BXP1 certs as long as the economy ticket is a proper fare? I see 7 A seats open on Expert Flyer but no C inventory at this time.
No, not possible to double upgrade on AA using any instrument.
Old May 23, 2022, 8:34 pm

Programs: United Silver, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hyatt.
I am getting "Choose a different flight or fare" when I attempted to book an AAward ticket ORD -> MAD that shows up as available for next April!

Think it is worth calling to see if I can get this booked over the phone?
Old May 24, 2022, 9:25 am

Call. Yes. But it may be phantom availability

Originally Posted by Clay_C.
I am getting "Choose a different flight or fare" when I attempted to book an AAward ticket ORD -> MAD that shows up as available for next April!

Think it is worth calling to see if I can get this booked over the phone?
Old May 24, 2022, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
Call. Yes. But it may be phantom availability
I have experienced this phenomenon before, but I actually booked an Iberia AAward ticket on this route a few years back...so it is not like on of those mythological Finnair itineraries.

Last edited by Clay_C.; May 24, 2022 at 12:59 pm
Old May 24, 2022, 2:56 pm

Welp, seems like ALL Iberia AAward tickets at this point are a case of "phantom availability".

On the upside, I only had to talk to four different AA representatives over the course of two hours to confirm this.
Old May 24, 2022, 6:09 pm

I have a booking with the inbound flight class N and return class G. They recently changed my itinerary so I went on their site to see what other options are available. I see there's a better return schedule currently selling for the same price one way as the one I am now on. The "change" button is telling me to call right now but from others this might resolve itself soon so I do it online. My questions are:
1. would the "fare difference" be between the current selling price so i'd pay nothing extra? If it's the original purchase price, how would they determine the value of the return trip only?
2. is there only 1 change per booking allowed for my fare classes? If something were to happen closer to the trip, could I still cancel the entire thing free for a credit after making the change from #1?
Thanks!
Old May 25, 2022, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingin
1. would the "fare difference" be between the current selling price so i'd pay nothing extra? If it's the original purchase price, how would they determine the value of the return trip only?
2. is there only 1 change per booking allowed for my fare classes? If something were to happen closer to the trip, could I still cancel the entire thing free for a credit after making the change from #1?
Thanks!
Sorry but I'm not following what you're asking in #1. Can you post your original itinerary and what you paid and what you're trying to change it to, etc.?

For #2, again not quite sure if this is what you're asking but AA will typically allow you one "free" change per schedule change (meaning no additional fare collection). But AA does not charge change fees so pretty much any ticket thats not basic economy can always be cancelled for a credit.
Old May 25, 2022, 8:25 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
I tried to find an existing thread for this exact topic, but I couldn't find anything.
So i'll post here.

I'm looking to book a roundtrip Premium Economy ticket from the US to Europe.
The itinerary would be AA Premium Economy across the Atlantic + BA Economy within Europe.
The AA website doesn't show the options I want, but using Google Flights it shows an AA fare of more than $2,500 and I can click through to the AA site and see the itinerary. Meanwhile, Google Flights shows an IB-ticketed itinerary for less than $1,300. It would the exact same AA and BA flights, but under IB codeshare numbers.
How would I calculate the miles earned? The AA website doesn't show any "AA flight booked as an IB codeshare" option... Would it be fare based? Distance based? What about elite miles multipliers?
Old May 25, 2022, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
I tried to find an existing thread for this exact topic, but I couldn't find anything.
So i'll post here.

I'm looking to book a roundtrip Premium Economy ticket from the US to Europe.
The itinerary would be AA Premium Economy across the Atlantic + BA Economy within Europe.
The AA website doesn't show the options I want, but using Google Flights it shows an AA fare of more than $2,500 and I can click through to the AA site and see the itinerary. Meanwhile, Google Flights shows an IB-ticketed itinerary for less than $1,300. It would the exact same AA and BA flights, but under IB codeshare numbers.
How would I calculate the miles earned? The AA website doesn't show any "AA flight booked as an IB codeshare" option... Would it be fare based? Distance based? What about elite miles multipliers?
If it's IB flight numbers then you would earn based on the IB table at aa.com, so distance based according to the booking code.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2022, 10:45 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If it's IB flight numbers then you would earn based on the IB table at aa.com, so distance based according to the booking code.
Thank you.
I had previously checked the AAdvantage earning page for Iberia, but I somehow missed the last part of this:

"You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Iberia marketed and operated flights and Iberia codeshare flights operated by Iberia affiliate airlines Air Nostrum or Iberia Express, or other oneworld® carriers."
Old May 26, 2022, 2:48 am
kkl

Cant scroll award search page calenders ? Keeps throwing up an error and having to reset the search.

Used to be able to scroll through months to look for award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.