Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by 777lover
double check tht your BE fare is changeable or able to be converted to a credit. Some are not.
Specifically: Basic Economy fares bought on or after April 1, 2021, are non-refundable and non-changeable for flights originating in North America, South America and certain countries in Asia. For flights originating outside North or South America the no change fee applies, but you may owe a difference in ticket price
Old May 17, 2022, 5:24 pm

Quick question to you frequent travelers
American airlines app and website are pretty horrendous. They never seem to remember my passport #, TSA Pre # even though my login has stayed the same over 10 years and I've taken about 4-5 trips over that period. Today I spent 3 hours in total doing emed tests, then verifly, then AA check-in and some trouble on that. Would you guys typically do all this or simply do the covid tests, show results on phone and also check in directly at airport to save yourself the trouble of entering all passport info, etc. It may not sound much but when you are doing it for 5 people, it's quite a bit - 3 hours as I said from my vacation time

Thanks
Old May 17, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sam007
Quick question to you frequent travelers
American airlines app and website are pretty horrendous. They never seem to remember my passport #, TSA Pre # even though my login has stayed the same over 10 years and I've taken about 4-5 trips over that period. Today I spent 3 hours in total doing emed tests, then verifly, then AA check-in and some trouble on that. Would you guys typically do all this or simply do the covid tests, show results on phone and also check in directly at airport to save yourself the trouble of entering all passport info, etc. It may not sound much but when you are doing it for 5 people, it's quite a bit - 3 hours as I said from my vacation time

Thanks
For infrequent flyers, I recommend getting to the airport 60-90 minutes before the recommended time. Everything can be done at the airport. It may take a while but the agents can help you fulfill all the formalities.
Old May 18, 2022, 10:58 am

Hi there, I am landing at JFK at 9 PM tonight from Dallas at JFK T8. Is it better to take an Uber from arrivals or departures prmit doesn’t really matter since it’s late enough at night

Thanks
Old May 18, 2022, 12:14 pm

Can somebody explain why our luggage went all the way to our final destination on our inbound JFK-DFW-BJX (Mexico) journey but on the the return I have to pick up the luggage at DFW and check it back in
Old May 18, 2022, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Can somebody explain why our luggage went all the way to our final destination on our inbound JFK-DFW-BJX (Mexico) journey but on the the return I have to pick up the luggage at DFW and check it back in
US CBP requires you and your luggage to clear US immigration at your first point of entry into the US.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Hi there, I am landing at JFK at 9 PM tonight from Dallas at JFK T8. Is it better to take an Uber from arrivals or departures prmit doesn’t really matter since it’s late enough at night
Rideshare services are not permitted to pick up pax from the departures level.

Because that's the way it always is unless you pre-clear customs and immigration at the point of departure. And you just need to drop it off right where you exit from the immigration and customs area. It's not an actual "check-in".
Old May 18, 2022, 1:06 pm

Understood. I just noticed that only terminal D where we arrived from medico has a lounge and our next flight is out of terminal C at 4:42 PM. What time do you think I should leave the lounge to do immigration and security and pick up our luggage and check it in again? Thanks
Old May 18, 2022, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Understood. I just noticed that only terminal D where we arrived from medico has a lounge and our next flight is out of terminal C at 4:42 PM. What time do you think I should leave the lounge to do immigration and security and pick up our luggage and check it in again? Thanks
When you land at JFK, you have to clear immigration and customs immediately, then you drop your bags, then you proceed through security again, and then you can go to the lounge for as long as you wish before your next flight.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you land at JFK, you have to clear immigration and customs immediately, then you drop your bags, then you proceed through security again, and then you can go to the lounge for as long as you wish before your next flight.
my question is related to DFW airport. JFK is my final destination so I land and just got home there
Old May 18, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

my question is related to DFW airport. JFK is my final destination so I land and just got home there
Ok I misunderstood, but the answer is still the same regarding your procedure for after you land at DFW. The procedure is basically the same regardless of what airport you fly into the US to, i.e.. arrive at gate > immigration/customs > drop baggage off > re-clear security > lounge > go to departure gate.
Old May 18, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
There are Admiral's Clubs in all the terminals AA uses at DFW. Only Terminal D has a Flagship Lounge, but you wouldn't get access to that flying to/from Mexico, unless you have OWE or OWS not through AA or AS.

Also, you have to clear immigration, pick up your luggage, drop it back off, and clear security before you'll have access to any lounges. Exiting the plane from Mexico, the hallways will only lead you to immigration.
Old May 18, 2022, 3:13 pm

Infrequent AA flyer here (former US Chairman's Preferred so you know I am old!) and am trying to research using points to fly from BKK to RDU. All I can get the app or the website to show me is E and PE (most of which say "not available"). I have selected First/Business under the advanced selection but don't even get a column for either. Tried looking at the award calendar and get an error message saying "Calendar not available, try again later". Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
Old May 18, 2022, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
Infrequent AA flyer here (former US Chairman's Preferred so you know I am old!) and am trying to research using points to fly from BKK to RDU. All I can get the app or the website to show me is E and PE (most of which say "not available"). I have selected First/Business under the advanced selection but don't even get a column for either. Tried looking at the award calendar and get an error message saying "Calendar not available, try again later". Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
TIA
The problem now is that AA's largest partner in Asia (CX) has had continued drastic schedule cuts, so to/from BKK on a single award the only option is pretty much JL to Tokyo and then JL or AA to the US.

Additionally you need sAAver award space from the hub to RDU in order to include that segment on the same award; sAAver space can be almost impossible to find now (everything is web special) so even if say BKK-TYO-DFW were available but DFW-RDU was not, aa.com would still just return no results.

Search BKK-TYO & TYO-gateway separately to see if you can piece anything together.

Also using QR via DOH is a possibility but you'll have to pay for separate awards BKK-DOH + DOH-USA. If youre just searching "BKK-RDU" at aa.com then it won't return any results on QR due to the separate awards.
Old May 18, 2022, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Clay Clayton
TIA
On July 4, for example, BKK-HND-ORD is showing availability in Business on JL. Look for dates with Business availability to ORD or JFK, put the award on hold, and then look for MileSAAver award availability on the short leg in any cabin. If you find anything, put that on hold too, and call AA to see if they can price the same itinerary as a single award. If not, consider booking a separate cash or award ticket on the same PNR, so that you will be protected in the case of IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.