Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gregleck
I looked at that. But it asks for a departure city in the US. I don't want to have to type in every airport to see if they go to my international destination. In other words, typing in JFK, LGA, EWR, CLT, BOS, ORD, etc. etc. one after another.

I'd like a quick way to find out, if I want a direct international flight to City X, where can I catch an AA flight from the US directly to that city.

Or am I missing something on Google Flights?
No you're not missing it, but AA's European network isn't that extensive so your options are very limited with regards to US departure cities. Nowhere near as broad as you're suggesting.

If you're looking for secondary European cities (like ATH) then departures will be pretty much be limited to JFK, PHL, ORD, and to some extent DFW.

CLT & MIA have some service but with the exception of CLT-MUC no city that isn't already covered above.

Any other city will only have TATL service to LHR (BOS, LAX, PHX, RDU).
Old Apr 18, 2022, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Also if the idea is to avoid the big BA fees, fly AA instead of BA to LHR, and then connect to BA at LHR which will reduce the fees you will incur.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
If you're using your AA number, I believe so. What are you actually trying to do?
My AS reservation was made with my AA member number and I would prefer to see the reservation using the AA app (where most of my other flights are located). I tried to enter the AS PNR and the ticket number and the AA app apparently could not show me the reservation.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ckendall
My AS reservation was made with my AA member number and I would prefer to see the reservation using the AA app (where most of my other flights are located). I tried to enter the AS PNR and the ticket number and the AA app apparently could not show me the reservation.
I thought I'd been able to see them, but I guess I was wrong. I suspect it doesn't work, then, even though both use Sabre. Maybe mine was a codeshare.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by thatmikereed
I thought I'd been able to see them, but I guess I was wrong. I suspect it doesn't work, then, even though both use Sabre. Maybe mine was a codeshare.
Mine is not a code share.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec
Question

I’m not sure where to ask these questions so posting here as a start. I wasn’t sure if this warranted its own thread. Please move if there’s a more appropriate location for this, thanx. I am a new Gold (cc spend) if that matters to any of the below questions.

We are flying on miles (all flts on 2-class planes):

ORD>DFW Business J
DFW>LIR Business J

LIR>MIA Business J
MIA>ORD First J

1 - Why is the First flight a J booking code?
2 - We flew almost this same itinerary in mid-2019, except through MIA both ways. We had first class Lounge access in 2019 at both ORD & MIA. Have the access rules changed and we no longer can go to first class Lounges on this itinerary in 2022? Or am I reading the AA Lounge access rules wrong?
3 - Our outbound flts ticketed right away after booking, but now our return is still pending after 24 hours. How long should I wait before I call?
4 - Unrelated to above flts, I have two Admirals Club passes in my AAdvantage Wallet (I don’t remember how I got them). Can the name on one of them be changed so my husband can join me? What are the chances that a request for an extension on the expiry date(s) would be granted?
5 - What is an LT Gold?

Thank you for any and all help/direction/comments on the above.

Last edited by Perdita; Apr 18, 2022 at 8:19 pm Reason: One more question!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Perdita
ORD>DFW Business J
DFW>LIR Business J

LIR>MIA Business J
MIA>ORD First J

1 - Why is the First flight a J booking code?
2 - We flew almost this same itinerary in mid-2019, except through MIA both ways. We had first class Lounge access in 2019 at both ORD & MIA. Have the access rules changed and we no longer can go to first class Lounges on this itinerary in 2022? Or am I reading the AA Lounge access rules wrong?
3 - Our outbound flts ticketed right away after booking, but now our return is still pending after 24 hours. How long should I wait before I call?
4 - Unrelated to above flts, I have two Admirals Club passes in my AAdvantage Wallet (I don’t remember how I got them). Can the name on one of them be changed so my husband can join me? What are the chances that a request for an extension on the expiry date(s) would be granted?
5 - What is an LT Gold?
1) Domestic "first" class now books into business fare basises similar to international (has been this way for a few years now).
2) Yes the rules have changed and Central America no longer qualifies for Flagahip Lounge access, but you can use the Admirals Clubs before each flight.
3) Give it another day then call.
4) Don't think you can change the name on a digital pass and doubtful any extensions would be granted.
5) Lifetime Gold? Not sure of the context here.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
MCE for Gold?

Quick question: I am AA Gold. I checked in for a flight tomorrow. 3 legs on the outbound. 1st and 3rd I was upgraded. The 2nd leg, still wants to charge me to move to MCE. Do I have to wait until 24 hours for THAT flgiht before I can get MCE for free? Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 4:58 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Quick question: I am AA Gold. I checked in for a flight tomorrow. 3 legs on the outbound. 1st and 3rd I was upgraded. The 2nd leg, still wants to charge me to move to MCE. Do I have to wait until 24 hours for THAT flgiht before I can get MCE for free? Thanks!
yes
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:22 am

Having difficulty booking 2 award tickets using AA miles for business Class tickets from SFO-GMP for september (~9/8/22)
When looking at the inventory, the ONLY inventory that exists directly is in Main cabin (SFO-HND-GMP) EXCEPT for 9/27/22 where I can see 4 biz seats available.

However, when I check the segments individually, (SFO-HND on JL1 and then HND-GMP on JL95), I can see plenty of inventory on business.
If I book them as a multi stop (with just a 3 hour connection), I can get the itinerary to ticket, however it costs me 80k (60k pp for SFO-HND and then 20k pp for HND-GMP).

I'm not sure why it is this way. Checking on AS confirms this (and I can do the stopover for free on AS, so it prices out at 60k, but I don't have enough miles on AS).
The strange thing is that again, for one day that month (must be some special day!) 9/27/22 it allows you to book both segements together and prices out as 60k (which is what it should be doing everyday).

I've spoken to 4 agents on AA (Reservations desk, AA help desk) and all of them were completely useless (took me 20+ min each time to just explain the problem) and then all they say is "sorry, it's just the way the system is"

I asked if I can book SFO-HND at 60k pp OW in biz and then have then ADD on the HND-GMP segment manually since it should price the same, but they said no that won't work and they'd just have to redposit my miles, cancel the ticket and start from scratch which would be no help. Or they said they could book the HND-GMP separately for 20k (useless! I could do this myself and that's what I'm trying to avoid).

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kayexalate
I asked if I can book SFO-HND at 60k pp OW in biz and then have then ADD on the HND-GMP segment manually since it should price the same, but they said no that won't work and they'd just have to redposit my miles, cancel the ticket and start from scratch which would be no help. Or they said they could book the HND-GMP separately for 20k (useless! I could do this myself and that's what I'm trying to avoid).

Any help would be appreciated.
The answers you received were garbage. Just put SFO-HND on hold at aa.com, then call AA and ask to add the HND-GMP segment. Any semi competent agent should be able to do this in a few secs and it should price out at the same 60k price.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The answers you received were garbage. Just put SFO-HND on hold at aa.com, then call AA and ask to add the HND-GMP segment. Any semi competent agent should be able to do this in a few secs and it should price out at the same 60k price.
That's what I thought, but was 0/4 so far when calling in!
Old Apr 19, 2022, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kayexalate
That's what I thought, but was 0/4 so far when calling in!
Right but the AA help desk is for sure not the right place, just call the normal reservations number again.
Old Apr 19, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Anyone know what’s been going on at JFK T8 today between gates 39 and 37? About 10 police cars around the planes.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:02 pm

First timer Lounge questions JFK

Hello, all!! Thanks to all of you that continuously and patiently read and answer questions!!
This will be our first international flight as well as our first business class flight.
We will be flying into JFK American Airlines 105 from LHR (15:30). We have approx 5 hours until we fly Delta flight 4709 to BNA (20:20).

I realize there is no arrivals lounge. In a perfect world we would be able to chill in the lounge for a few hours before heading over to terminal 4 for the flight home. Is there a way we could do that?
Anyone Know how long could we leave our checked bags before claiming them?
Here in Nashville there is a little area where each airline places all the unclaimed bags for the day.
Thanks again! Looking forward to any advice!
~~Jill~~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.