Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:39 am

OK folks. After 22 years, I'm considering making a change from UA to either DL or AA. BOS has evolved and UA is no longer a dominant carrier. While I love the *A, I hate that I have to connect pretty much everywhere else on UA when flying Domestic.

Delta has now made BOS a hub, and is consistently ranked #1 in the USA for carriers. Lots of direct flights, and a great product, but terrible FF program. I was totally leaning towards DL because of this, but have since changed and am now looking at AA.

I hadn't really considered AA until now because I haven't been happy with what Parker has done with the airline. Project Oasis. No seatback IFE. etc. But...my thinking has evolved over the last few weeks. AA is a decent carrier at BOS. But their relationship with JetBlue is pretty compelling. JetBlue is #1 carrier in BOS. Combined with AA it makes it a pretty compelling choice. A tremendous amount of direct flights everyone. Only downside is not as good internationally as UA.

My question is around how to earn the new Loyalty Points. I get it on AA. As a general member I get 5x the fare plus credit card spend. But I am less clear on how this works for partners. Can you help clarify? Specifically:
-Flights on Jetblue. It seems I get same Loyalty points accrual as on AA, regardless of whether or not hte flight is marketed with a Jetblue flight # and ticket or AA flight # and ticket. Correct?
-Flights on BA: It seems like if it is booked as AA flight # I get AA accrual based on fare. But if booked as BA flight # I get the distance with fare class multiplier. Correct?
-Flights on Alaska: Same as BA. Correct?

On UA, the ticket stock matters more than what flight # a flight is booked on. But as I'm reading about AA, it seems this is irrelevant and how the flight is booked is what matters. Correct?

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by ualboston1k; Mar 2, 2022 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ualboston1k
-Flights on Jetblue. It seems I get same Loyalty points accrual as on AA, regardless of whether or not hte flight is marketed with a Jetblue flight # and ticket or AA flight # and ticket. Correct?
-Flights on BA: It seems like if it is booked as AA flight # I get AA accrual based on fare. But if booked as BA flight # I get the distance with fare class multiplier. Correct?
-Flights on Alaska: Same as AA. Correct?

On UA, the ticket stock matters more than what flight # a flight is booked on. But as I'm reading about AA, it seems this is irrelevant and how the flight is booked is what matters. Correct?
Correct on Jetblue and BA. On AS earning LP's is similar to BA in that if it's booked as an AA flight number you earn based in fare, but booked as AS flight numbers you earn based on distance and fare class.

And yes, when crediting to AA the ticket stock or where you book doesn't matter, just the flight number.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:20 am

Thanks. And for AS I meant "same as BA". Which you have confirmed.

Wow for jetBlue. So there is really no advantage if flying jetBlue if I book as AA flight # via AA or as B6 flight # via B6. I get the same credit regardless. Cool!
Old Mar 2, 2022, 8:51 pm

First time as EXP

I hope it's OK to post here. I'm new to AA as an EXP which I earned through many nights away from my family this year... we are flying next week on award tickets in economy. Any suggestions on the best way to treat them to first class (me, husband, 3 boys - ages 4, 6, 9 - all well behaved in first)? Mileage, 500 mileage stickers, sys upgrades, etc... if anything, I'm beyond happy to fly with our the little ones in coach and treat my husband to first class as he really holds up the fort at home letting me pursue my career.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: A few
Ok, we are flying J LAX-MIA-STT, is AA considering this an Int'l flight? Or no, because it is the Carribean? Or no because we stop in MIA first?
Old Mar 2, 2022, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 96SS
Ok, we are flying J LAX-MIA-STT, is AA considering this an Int'l flight? Or no, because it is the Carribean? Or no because we stop in MIA first?
Considering for what purpose? Lounge access? And are you in Flagship J on LAX-MIA?
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ado3abc
I hope it's OK to post here. I'm new to AA as an EXP which I earned through many nights away from my family this year... we are flying next week on award tickets in economy. Any suggestions on the best way to treat them to first class (me, husband, 3 boys - ages 4, 6, 9 - all well behaved in first)? Mileage, 500 mileage stickers, sys upgrades, etc... if anything, I'm beyond happy to fly with our the little ones in coach and treat my husband to first class as he really holds up the fort at home letting me pursue my career.
As an EXP you can always upgrade yourself + 1 companion, even on award tickets (assuming your trip is within North America and eligible for comp upgrades).

Unfortunately though in order to do this you will need to split your reservation from 5 pax to 2 + 3 pax, with the upgrade requests on the 2 pax PNR. This means the other 3 now on a different reservation would lose your baggage benefits.

If you do go this route, you would have to have to put yourself + 1 boy on one PNR, with your husband + 2 other boys on the other PNR. But if your upgrades clear it will be no problem to let your husband and a boy sit up front, just tell the FA when you board.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Million Miler progress

Perhaps this got pushed to the background during the Loyalty Points release? I cannot find my million miler balance on either the new website or the iPhone app. Am I just missing something obvious?
ado3abc likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EDnearJQF
Perhaps this got pushed to the background during the Loyalty Points release? I cannot find my million miler balance on either the new website or the iPhone app. Am I just missing something obvious?
It's under "Activity". Not an intuitive place to find it.
EDnearJQF likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 9:29 am

Programs: A few
"Considering for what purpose? Lounge access? And are you in Flagship J on LAX-MIA?"

We are Flagship J on the way there, but they have changed our return flight to "F" in a 321neo, sadly. So it would seem that any lounge access on the way home is now gone.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 96SS
We are Flagship J on the way there, but they have changed our return flight to "F" in a 321neo, sadly. So it would seem that any lounge access on the way home is now gone.
No, you can still use the AC on the way home by virtue of your same day business class ticket from the Caribbean.
96SS likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
As an EXP, do I get a free checked in bag on a TATL basic economy fare for an AA-operated service, but on a BA ticket?
Conversely, do I get a free checked in bag on a TATL basic economy fare for a BA-operated service, but on an AA ticket?
I believe that for AA-operated and marketed services the answer is yes and for BA-operated and marketed services the answer is no.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wobbly wings
As an EXP, do I get a free checked in bag on a TATL basic economy fare for an AA-operated service, but on a BA ticket?
Conversely, do I get a free checked in bag on a TATL basic economy fare for a BA-operated service, but on an AA ticket?
I believe that for AA-operated and marketed services the answer is yes and for BA-operated and marketed services the answer is no.
I believe checked bag allowances follow operating carrier rules.
wobbly wings likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA
I am in the process of booking BNA > LHR on British Air. As a EXP I thought that I would get Emerald benefits on BA. However when I book, I am being asked to pay up for aisle/window seats. And I was under the impression this falls within the Emerald benefits.

Is there something in particular I need to do to "link" my AA account and my Executive Club. FTR, my Executive Club status shows only Blue.

Thanks,
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by robinsondg
I am in the process of booking BNA > LHR on British Air. As a EXP I thought that I would get Emerald benefits on BA. However when I book, I am being asked to pay up for aisle/window seats. And I was under the impression this falls within the Emerald benefits.

Is there something in particular I need to do to "link" my AA account and my Executive Club. FTR, my Executive Club status shows only Blue.

Thanks,
If you want to take advantage of your AA EXP benefits, then you need to have your AA # in the reservation. If you have your EC # in the reservation, that is why you aren't getting your EXP benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.