Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2023, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by goldilox13
really helpful! Is it any easier to buy tickets and use miles to upgrade to business from
econcomy?
I wouldn't consider myself an expert, so someone else should be able to help more, but I don't know if it's even possible to book a JAL economy ticket and use AA miles to upgrade to business. Even if it were, I get the impression you generally need award space in business to get an award upgrade from economy anyway.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:33 pm

3 Passengers, 2 Elites, Upgrade Question

Three of us are booking a cash flight, two have status (Plat Pro and Gold). The route seems to have good upgrade chances. Can I as the Plat Pro call in to have the non-status passenger join me on the upgrade list? And can the Gold passenger then be on the list on her own as Gold -- or would we have to book the flight separately so I get the automatic upgrade eligibility with the non-elite passenger and the Gold have a shot on her own?
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan - MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MoonOverMiami
Three of us are booking a cash flight, two have status (Plat Pro and Gold). The route seems to have good upgrade chances. Can I as the Plat Pro call in to have the non-status passenger join me on the upgrade list? And can the Gold passenger then be on the list on her own as Gold -- or would we have to book the flight separately so I get the automatic upgrade eligibility with the non-elite passenger and the Gold have a shot on her own?
Your companion needs to be on the same PNR for them to be eligible for upgrades. That includes upgrades to First as well as free MCE seat selection.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 9:54 pm

Yes, the plan is to book all three myself as the highest status to secure MCE seats, but I know parties of 3 or more don't automatically get upgraded -- and I have to call in to specify which of the two other passengers I want to join me on the upgrade list. My question -- assuming that I have the first part right -- is can the third person (the one with Gold status) also get on the upgrade list on her own -- or does that not work if she's on the same PNR as the other two of us?

Last edited by MoonOverMiami; Feb 16, 2023 at 10:26 pm
Old Feb 17, 2023, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by remyjette
Your companion needs to be on the same PNR for them to be eligible for upgrades. That includes upgrades to First as well as free MCE seat selection.
This is 100% incorrect. Companions do not need to be on the same PNR to be eligible for upgrades or to get free MCE seating.

Yes, the plan is to book all three myself as the highest status to secure MCE seats, but I know parties of 3 or more don't automatically get upgraded -- and I have to call in to specify which of the two other passengers I want to join me on the upgrade list. My question -- assuming that I have the first part right -- is can the third person (the one with Gold status) also get on the upgrade list on her own -- or does that not work if she's on the same PNR as the other two of us?
This is an interesting one, honestly not sure what happens when you have 3 pax on a PNR with 2 that have status. I would just book everyone together then see if the system requests upgrades for everyone. If yes, then great. If not, you're going to have to call AA and split you and the no status pax off on a separate PNR, request upgrades etc. Then the GLD will be on their own PNR also with upgrades requested.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 9:50 am

Programs: B6 M4, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Find myself in the same scenario as you, but are you flying routes where there's actually enough upgrade space for yourself and a non-status partner to clear as just a Plat Pro? I find myself questioning if it's worth the effort lol when I can barely clear myself.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 4:31 am

The way we were told to do it in another thread would be for the Plat Pro book a reservation with the non-status passenger and the Gold member book a separate reservation. This way all 3 would automatically be on the upgrade list. Once booked, you can call and have them link the reservations and everyone will be able to choose MCE seats along with other PP perks. This is how we have booked a few trips coming up so that all s of us (wife is PP, I'm Gold, and our 8 yo daughter) are all on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 5:44 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This is 100% incorrect. Companions do not need to be on the same PNR to be eligible for upgrades or to get free MCE seating..
It should be noted that if the companions are NOT on the same PNR, they will not be able to choose MCE seats for free from the AA app/website.
I believe it can be done by calling AA customer service.
Old Feb 18, 2023, 9:55 pm

2 questions:
My wife booked award tickets with her miles for 3 of us including herself. I have the Barclays credit card. Do we get free checked luggage?

I recently got matched AA platinum pro from Hyatt. Do I get to select seats for free on a previously booked Iberia flight? Iberia agents are very unhelpful.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:55 am

Question about a same day standby.

I am flying from AVL-CLT tomorrow at 18:11. There is an AVL-CLT at 14:38 I'd like to get on, but the fare difference is significant.

I am currently platinum, If I am remembering correctly, I can just goto the airport earlier and ask to stand by on the 14:38 correct?
  • Do I just ask at the check in counter or gate to be added?
  • Will I lose my spot on my 18:11 flight when I get added to the list?
  • Do I need to pay for the difference in fare?
  • Anything else I should know?
Old Feb 19, 2023, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Do American Airlines miles expire? I just saw that United miles don’t expire.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freedom2020
2 questions:
My wife booked award tickets with her miles for 3 of us including herself. I have the Barclays credit card. Do we get free checked luggage?

I recently got matched AA platinum pro from Hyatt. Do I get to select seats for free on a previously booked Iberia flight? Iberia agents are very unhelpful.
Yes, as long as your AAdvantage number is on the reservation then you will get complimentary bags by virtue of your PLT Pro status. If you didn't have any status then up to 4 people on the same reservation as you would receive 1 complimentary bag by virtue of your credit card.

The last time I had an IB flight (October) I was not able to select seats in advance without paying, not sure what the official policy is.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 0xBA1EE7ED
Question about a same day standby.

I am flying from AVL-CLT tomorrow at 18:11. There is an AVL-CLT at 14:38 I'd like to get on, but the fare difference is significant.

I am currently platinum, If I am remembering correctly, I can just goto the airport earlier and ask to stand by on the 14:38 correct?
  • Do I just ask at the check in counter or gate to be added?
  • Will I lose my spot on my 18:11 flight when I get added to the list?
  • Do I need to pay for the difference in fare?
  • Anything else I should know?
Yes, just go to the airport early and ask at the check-in counter to be added to the standby list for the 14:38 flight. Then just wait at the gate and hope you make it on, really not much else to it. You don't have to pay any fare difference and you won't lose your spot on your original flight just by getting on the standby list.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gaobest
Do American Airlines miles expire? I just saw that United miles don’t expire.
AA miles expire after 24 months if you don't have any activity in your account. ANY type of mileage transaction (credit or debit) resets the expiration to another 24 months out.

Also the mileage expiration is waived if you're the primary cardmember of any AAdvantage credit card.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If you didn't have any status then up to 4 people on the same reservation as you would receive 1 complimentary bag by virtue of your credit card.
So it doesn't matter who made the reservation? In our case, my wife made the reservation with her miles but she doesn't have AA credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.