Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by davidlin15
Hi guys newbie here….

is it no longer available to search QR award tickets on AA? Trying to locate tickets to MLE… appreciated
You can. Best to search from the main cities that QR originates the long haul from. I.e. ORD-MLE on 22-FEB is showing seats in coach. If you find the flights you need, you can put them on hold, then call AA to try to add a points flight to get you to ORD from your home airport. This may be difficult, as the booking class for this positioning flight needs to be a certain fare code (I believe "T").

If you search from your home airport to MLE you will generally get no QR results (unless your home airport is DFW, ORD, etc)

You can use the calendar feature to more quickly search. Business seats seem hard to come by.

Also, there is a dedicated thread on FlyerTalk about this:
Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)

Last edited by WannaTheater; Jan 24, 2023 at 6:16 am
Old Jan 24, 2023, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by quitecryptic
Gotcha, thanks. Sort of figured that, but thought maybe there was a way to do it directly.

Since I have the points already is there any harm if I just booked it (not hold), then make sure it tickets before canceling the other one? Does AA have any sort of detection that you are on the same flight twice to not allow that?
No, no harm in doing it that way.

AA used to not let you make duplicate reservations for AA metal flights, but this never applied to partner flights, and they have even removed this restriction now for AA flights.
quitecryptic likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aama
Hi,

just booked award with AA and have no status with them anymore. However I do have status with AY. Is there any way to add that FF account to award booking in order to obtain benefits for seat choice etc.?
I assume you booked this with AA miles with yourself as the pax, so aa.com auto populated your info including your AA#?

You can try pulling up your PNR on a few other airline websites and try to change your FF# there. AY, RJ, and QF used to work for this in some form or fashion, although I believe there have been issues lately in getting a new FF# to stick.

If you just booked this, and there is still award space avaliable on the same flight, you could put a new reservation on hold but re-enter the pax details as if you are not the traveler, enter your name, bday, etc. but leave the FF# blank. Then just cancel your first reservation, miles and taxes will be refunded. Then book the 2nd reservation, and go add your AY# later at aa.com or one of the sites above.

Or you could just call AA and ask an agent to switch your number.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Hi,

I am looking to book my first AA US Domestic flight ( OneWorld Sapphire/BA Silver) and specifically a basic economy return flight ATL-MIA, and would be thankful if you could confirm the following understanding I have about teh Basic Economy tariff:

- No Seat Selection for OneWorld Elite Status Holder
- No Checked in luggage included, but could be bought for $32, first piece - i am guessing per traveller, so if two travelling then both pay $32 for the first piece of luggage each (is the cost right, and what is the weight allowance for this fee)
- Planning to credit these flights to my BAEC account but not yet clear of the Avios earning (pretty sure that there is no Status bonus but not clear if they credit as % of miles flown and/or value spent)

Many tahnks
Old Jan 24, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: DL
Missed connection options

Connection in ORD 52 minutes. If I miss the days last AA flight to destination, will they re-book me on another airline, rather then providing hotel? The next AA flight isnt until mid morning the next day, which would delay me at a meeting. UA has a flight in the evening. Thanks
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Value of AA miles?

I'm planning to fly from the US to New Zealand, and I'm trying to figure out whether to use miles or if it is worth buying a revenue ticket.
All AA flights except for WLG-SYD on QF on the way home.
The actual flown distance would be about 17k NM.

After doing the math, here are the options:
- Award ticket cost 80k miles + $100 in taxes.
- Revenue ticket: $1,750, out of which $1,600 is the fare and $150 in taxes. As a Platinum I'd earn 8x RDM + LP (and another 2x RDM + LP if I use my AA credit card to pay). I'd earn about 17k RDM + LP.

The difference between the options is about 97k RDMs (earning 17k instead of spending 80k), 17k LP, and $1,650 in cash, which works out to be 1.7 cents per RDM.
Earning 17k LP would help requalification for next year, but it's not super important.

So, what say you? Revenue or award ticket? I feel like I'd be better off using the award miles for business class tickets, but as we all know, finding awards seats can be a pain.

Last edited by AirborneLocksmith; Jan 24, 2023 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by marcopizzaiuolo
Hi,

I am looking to book my first AA US Domestic flight ( OneWorld Sapphire/BA Silver) and specifically a basic economy return flight ATL-MIA, and would be thankful if you could confirm the following understanding I have about teh Basic Economy tariff:

- No Seat Selection for OneWorld Elite Status Holder
- No Checked in luggage included, but could be bought for $32, first piece - i am guessing per traveller, so if two travelling then both pay $32 for the first piece of luggage each (is the cost right, and what is the weight allowance for this fee)
- Planning to credit these flights to my BAEC account but not yet clear of the Avios earning (pretty sure that there is no Status bonus but not clear if they credit as % of miles flown and/or value spent)

Many tahnks
Even on a Basic Economy fare, I expect that each traveler in your party would get to check two bags at no charge, based on your BA Silver status. And you might also not only get free seat selection based on your BA status, but might also get to select Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats at no charge, based on your status.

Since AA permits cancellation with a full refund within 24 hours of booking (as long as you book more than two days before departure), I suggest booking the flights you want with your BAEC number in the record, and then see if you can select seats for free. (The free baggage allowance might or might not appear in your e-ticket receipt.)

In any event, if you're going to fly AA, whether in Basic Economy or regular Main Cabin on a cash ticket, or Main Cabin on an Avios redemption, I recommend that you bring your BAEC Silver card with you to show to an AA agent if necessary.
marcopizzaiuolo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
That seems like a decent to average use of AA Miles. ThePointsGuy has a list of point evaluations and he values AA miles at about 1.77 cpm right now. So depends on whether you want to save the cash or not or how the extra miles factor into requalifying in my book.
AirborneLocksmith likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by AirborneLocksmith
I'm planning to fly from the US to New Zealand, and I'm trying to figure out whether to use miles or if it is worth buying a revenue ticket.
All AA flights except for WLG-SYD on QF on the way home.
The actual flown distance would be about 17k NM.

After doing the math, here are the options:
- Award ticket cost 80k miles + $100 in taxes.
- Revenue ticket: $1,750, out of which $1,600 is the fare and $150 in taxes. As a Platinum I'd earn 8x RDM + LP (and another 2x RDM + LP if I use my AA credit card to pay). I'd earn about 17k RDM + LP.

The difference between the options is about 97k RDMs (earning 17k instead of spending 80k), 17k LP, and $1,650 in cash, which works out to be 1.7 cents per RDM.
Earning 17k LP would help requalification for next year, but it's not super important.

So, what say you? Revenue or award ticket? I feel like I'd be better off using the award miles for business class tickets, but as we all know, finding awards seats can be a pain.
sounds like an amazing deal with miles to me.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 6:59 pm

Programs: AC, AA, TK, OW Emerald
Originally Posted by Juanefny
sounds like an amazing deal with miles to me.
Standard rate for US-NZ/AU awards.
I could save 10k miles by replanning the itinerary to remove all QF flights so that I can use a websaver fare instead, bringing the total down to 70k.
Juanefny likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:03 pm

Looking at booking a flight with Avios miles.

If it matters any...I am currently Platinum with AA.
There is currently no option for Basic Economy on this particular flight
Main Cabin Fare is: $305 and earns 2160 LPs
Avios Redemption for Economy is: 9000pts + 5.60

If I go with the Avios Redemption...how many LPs will I earn? Any at all?
Also, when using an Avios Redemption...am I eligible for complimentary upgrades? Am I able to same day standby on an earlier flight? Or is all forfeited when using Avios?

Thanks -

Last edited by JustDandy; Jan 24, 2023 at 11:10 pm
Old Jan 24, 2023, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
You can. Best to search from the main cities that QR originates the long haul from. I.e. ORD-MLE on 22-FEB is showing seats in coach. If you find the flights you need, you can put them on hold, then call AA to try to add a points flight to get you to ORD from your home airport. This may be difficult, as the booking class for this positioning flight needs to be a certain fare code (I believe "T").

If you search from your home airport to MLE you will generally get no QR results (unless your home airport is DFW, ORD, etc)

You can use the calendar feature to more quickly search. Business seats seem hard to come by.

Also, there is a dedicated thread on FlyerTalk about this:
Qatar Airways / QR: Redeem AA Miles for Award (master thd)
My search is from YUL to DOH and DOH to MLE.. and Business Class seems not available during searching..
Not to mention I need to bring my wife..
Old Jan 25, 2023, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC, QRPC, Amex MR, World of Hyatt, IHG one rewards, Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, etc
Originally Posted by guv1976
Even on a Basic Economy fare, I expect that each traveler in your party would get to check two bags at no charge, based on your BA Silver status. And you might also not only get free seat selection based on your BA status, but might also get to select Main Cabin Extra (extra-leg-room) seats at no charge, based on your status.

Since AA permits cancellation with a full refund within 24 hours of booking (as long as you book more than two days before departure), I suggest booking the flights you want with your BAEC number in the record, and then see if you can select seats for free. (The free baggage allowance might or might not appear in your e-ticket receipt.)

In any event, if you're going to fly AA, whether in Basic Economy or regular Main Cabin on a cash ticket, or Main Cabin on an Avios redemption, I recommend that you bring your BAEC Silver card with you to show to an AA agent if necessary.
many thanks for your reply.

I went back and did further research (various travel sites like TPG as AA own website only mention AA own status holders not OneWorld privileges) and it looks like I would benefit for the checked-in luggage allowance (2 pieces) and boarding groups but not of free seat selection.

Interestingly as a Sapphire/BA silver on a BA Basic Economy/hand luggage only tariff, I get free seat selection, boarding group privileges but no checked luggage allowance at all.

we will be two of us flying and as I understand we can get very random seating assignment so may be worth it to pay the extra 100 (for both of us) for Main cabin Tariff (thoughts?)
Old Jan 25, 2023, 4:01 am

Early Status Bump Based on Next Flight

I will make Plat Pro on my next flight (from LHR on BA). Im 450 points short right now. Is it possible to get my status bumped prior to this flight so I can leverage the BA first checkin and lounge?

(I only have 3 days until this flight and am not sure any other loyalty points earning methods will post in time).
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
I will make Plat Pro on my next flight (from LHR on BA). Im 450 points short right now. Is it possible to get my status bumped prior to this flight so I can leverage the BA first checkin and lounge?

(I only have 3 days until this flight and am not sure any other loyalty points earning methods will post in time).
Not possible, otherwise everyone would be doing it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.