Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:49 pm

Main Plus Bookings

Is it possible to book a main plus ticket via the capital one portal? It doesn't give you this option when booking through the portal, and I'm assuming it's only possible to purchase this bundle directly through AA. But I'm curious if there's some kind of workaround you can do on the back end either via capital one or AA to upgrade a main cabin ticket to a main plus one. Thanks!
Old Nov 12, 2022, 9:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Hertz PC; AA Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Gold
AA Platinum benefits on British Airways question

Am I understanding this correctly? If I fly AA to London, I can purchase basic economy and choose MCE for no extra charge while booking, but if I book BA in basic economy there is no free seat selection at all? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2022, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GVR Bill
Am I understanding this correctly? If I fly AA to London, I can purchase basic economy and choose MCE for no extra charge while booking, but if I book BA in basic economy there is no free seat selection at all? Or am I doing something wrong? Thanks
Based on the following, you can select MCE seats if you are AA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, or AA Executive Platinum. If AA Gold, you can select within 24 hours of departure. I don't know about BA.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...s-benefits.jsp
Old Nov 12, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
I'm wanting to do some segment running on Dec31 or preferably Jan 1. Starting in Tul and ending in DEN. That's not a particularly cheap travel day but there are some deals - they just don't combine well schedulewise. Has anyone used SDCs to book for example, a late night flight which is the cheapest of the day, then change it 24 hours out to an early one, then have another contingent flight booked from the first destination to final destination?
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:48 pm

Programs: Japan Airlines JGC Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Stay on AA's FFP or switch to JAL's FFP

Hi everyone! I am a long time lurker but finally decided to join this website and someday contribute once I have more knowledge about this field.

I qualified for Platinum Pro last month (expires March 2024) and feel excited about the Emerald prvileges when flying on partner airlines. However, I thought about switching to Japan Airlines' program, due to my flying patterns mostly being international to Asia, with occasional Latin America and rare Europe trips. I take 2-3 domestic trips a year, and would stick with flying AA for the oneworld benefits. My flying patterns would let me reach Sapphire at minimum if I started to credit to JAL in 2023. Another perk that I thought was non-AA and AS airlines can access Flagship and Admirals lounges when flying AA domestic, which is another plus. Also, JAL has more reasonable award flight redemptions over AA (except for occasional partner awards, dynamic pricing is a pain), and expanded flight awards on their own metal.

What are some good reasons that I should stay with AAdvantage over JAL's program? Thanks for any insights!
Old Nov 14, 2022, 8:48 am

Questions regarding PHL connection time on shared flight

Hey everyone, thank you for any help in advance

I just booked my first shared flight with AA/Qatar and already went through hell trying to confirm whether they would through-check my baggage and print all my tickets in ILM (Wilmington, NC). It seems they will from my findings since everything is on a single reservation through Qatar. My route is ILM to PHL to DOHA to SGN with only the first leg being with AA. The other two are with Qatar.

My main concern now is that AA changed its flight time on the first flight, which reduced my connection time in PHL to 1hr 53minutes. I'll have to go from terminal F to terminal A. If they do in fact through-check my bag, I'm not worried about making it to terminal A on foot, but do you think it's enough time for my checked bag to transfer between the terminals?

Also, this might sound super newbie, but once I arrive in PHL from ILM, I can simply walk on foot to Terminal A without having to go through any form of security? The reason I ask is that most people worried about PHL transfer times are arriving from abroad, so I had trouble tracking down domestic info.

There's an option to request a refund since AA changed its flight time, that's the main reason I'm seeking advice.

Any help is much-appreciated cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by EarthlyAstronaut

I just booked my first shared flight with AA/Qatar and already went through hell trying to confirm whether they would through-check my baggage and print all my tickets in ILM (Wilmington, NC). It seems they will from my findings since everything is on a single reservation through Qatar. My route is ILM to PHL to DOHA to SGN with only the first leg being with AA. The other two are with Qatar.

My main concern now is that AA changed its flight time on the first flight, which reduced my connection time in PHL to 1hr 53minutes. I'll have to go from terminal F to terminal A. If they do in fact through-check my bag, I'm not worried about making it to terminal A on foot, but do you think it's enough time for my checked bag to transfer between the terminals?

Also, this might sound super newbie, but once I arrive in PHL from ILM, I can simply walk on foot to Terminal A without having to go through any form of security? The reason I ask is that most people worried about PHL transfer times are arriving from abroad, so I had trouble tracking down domestic info.

There's an option to request a refund since AA changed its flight time, that's the main reason I'm seeking advice.

You are fine, 1:53 is ​​​plenty of time for both you and your bag to make the connection at PHL. You simply get off the flight in terminal F and walk to your next gate in terminal A. There is also a shuttle if you don't want to walk, but regardless you don't have to clear security again.

And just to confirm since it's all on the same ticket your bag will be checked all the way to SGN, and when you check in at ILM they will issue all your boarding passes.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by EarthlyAstronaut

This may help answer some of your questions:
https://www.phl.org/faqs

If you want to be super safe, you can see if there is availability on an earlier ILM-PHL flights.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You are fine, 1:53 is ​​​plenty of time for both you and your bag to make the connection at PHL. You simply get off the flight in terminal F and walk to your next gate in terminal A. There is also a shuttle if you don't want to walk, but regardless you don't have to clear security again.

And just to confirm since it's all on the same ticket your bag will be checked all the way to SGN, and when you check in at ILM they will issue all your boarding passes.
Thank you so much for your advice, it puts my mind at ease
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by WannaTheater
This may help answer some of your questions:

If you want to be super safe, you can see if there is availability on an earlier ILM-PHL flights.
Thank you for the link, I will look over it this afternoon There is one earlier flight, but I'd have to wait in PHL for 9 hours, which could get bad if I get caught up at the bar haha
Old Nov 14, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Folks, does AA serve meals in First Class on flights between Chicago and NYC? I am getting conflicting info in this regard online...
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Finally going to book my round trip, multi-city CLT->LHR LHR->NAP and back. Customs?

I am ready to book my flight for May as a multi-city ticket both ways using AA miles. My itinerary will be:
CLT->MIA->LHR
followed by
LHR->NAP (on BA)

Return trip will be:
NAP->LHR (on BA)
LHR->either MIA or DFW->CLT

I have a few options with differing layovers at various points on the trip. I am trying to figure out where I would have to go through customs and as a result make sure to allow a long enough layover to go through customs. Any idea on this ticket where I would have to go through customs?

I also have not flown internationally in a number of years and am trying to figure exactly how much time I need. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Layovers will be 2h minimum at each stop (aside from one of my options on the return trip that would have a 1h25m layover in LHR). I would hope that 2h layover at each stop would be enough wiggle room to account for any delays, irregular operations, etc., along with customs. If you think not, please let me know here.

Can't wait to finalize this booking!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rossodio
CLT->MIA->LHR
followed by
LHR->NAP (on BA)

Return trip will be:
NAP->LHR (on BA)
LHR->either MIA or DFW->CLT

I have a few options with differing layovers at various points on the trip. I am trying to figure out where I would have to go through customs and as a result make sure to allow a long enough layover to go through customs. Any idea on this ticket where I would have to go through customs?
On the outbound, flying to the EU you will technically clear customs in NAP, although this is a much less formal process than flying to the US. You just claim your bags then exit baggage claim through the green "nothing to declare" exit.

On the return you will clear US immigration and customs at your first point of entry, so this will be either at DFW or MIA.

And 2 hours should be plenty of time for any of those connections, really nothing to worry about, although if you return through MIA you might see if there's any options with 2.5 hrs + as MIA can be a bit of a zoo depending on the day/time.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
I've got a flight coming up CLT-BOS. It's part of (but on a separate ticket from) a transatlantic trip over Christmas, plus a wedding (so, I'll have a bit of luggage).

Ticket is in economy, but I'm considering upgrading to 1st. When I look online, it specifically says that upgrading will not earn Loyalty Points, but my questions are, will I earned miles on the increased spend? And will I get lounge access in Charlotte?

For me, First isn't that important for such a short flight, but the price is pretty low (accounting for 2 checked bags) that it may be worth it for lounge, priority boarding, and mileage earn.

thanks.
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
I've got a flight coming up CLT-BOS. It's part of (but on a separate ticket from) a transatlantic trip over Christmas, plus a wedding (so, I'll have a bit of luggage).

Ticket is in economy, but I'm considering upgrading to 1st. When I look online, it specifically says that upgrading will not earn Loyalty Points, but my questions are, will I earned miles on the increased spend? And will I get lounge access in Charlotte?

For me, First isn't that important for such a short flight, but the price is pretty low (accounting for 2 checked bags) that it may be worth it for lounge, priority boarding, and mileage earn.

thanks.
Miles and Loyalty Points will be based on the base fare and the not the increased spend. So if your ticket was $200 and you spend another $100 to upgrade, you will earn only earn miles and LP's on the $200, not the additional $100.

And domestic first class on CLT-BOS does not come with any lounge access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.