Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by JY1024
Thank you. Oddly enough, I decided to expand the "Help" section for the first time a few mins before I see your kind response 😂.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP
If I book a non-refundable economy ticket from AA and I later cancel, does the resulting credit have to be used for original ticket holder or can I use it to buy tickets for anyone? I know that with AS it's the latter so I'm trying to figure if the AA Wallet works like the AS Wallet. AA's FAQ mentions having the original ticket number which has me confused. I'm buying tickets for me and my partner and if I need to cancel it'd be nice to have the flexibility to use that $400 in credits just on myself.

Sorry for the complete noob question. AA's cancellation policy is new enough that a lot of the third-party info I'm finding online is outdated, and AA's FAQ page is ambiguous. I'll look for the answer elsewhere in this forum but if y'all can answer this before I find it, then I can make my reservation sooner. Thank you in advance!!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 1:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP
Never mind, I think I answered my own question after reading through the “Guide: Trip Credit…” thread. Sounds like it’s only good for the ticketed passenger.

Unfortunately AA jacked up the price while I was trying to figure out this info. So not even sure if I’ll book it anymore. Ah well, good to know for next time!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by SeattleWanderer
Never mind, I think I answered my own question after reading through the Guide: Trip Credit thread. Sounds like its only good for the ticketed passenger.

Unfortunately AA jacked up the price while I was trying to figure out this info. So not even sure if Ill book it anymore. Ah well, good to know for next time!
If it's a large amount, you can spend, say, $50 on a ticket that you have no intention of using. Then you will get a voucher for the balance that can be used by anyone.
SeattleWanderer likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Is there a minimum mileage/loyalty point earning when flying partners where you earn based on flight distance? E.g. if I fly an Alaska Y fare LAX-SJC round trip and credit it to my AAdvantage account, would I earn the actual flight mileage of about 620 miles, or would I earn 1,000 miles (500 mile minimum earning per segment)?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
I am booking a flight for myself and my wife. There is only a 50% chance my wife will be able to travel at that time. If she can't go, can I cancel her part of the reservation and get travel credit for future flights? Or would I need to cancel the whole reservation and rebook mine (presumably at a higher rate)? I want to book now because tickets are cheaper than usual for this particular route on the day we want.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Is there a minimum mileage/loyalty point earning when flying partners where you earn based on flight distance? E.g. if I fly an Alaska Y fare LAX-SJC round trip and credit it to my AAdvantage account, would I earn the actual flight mileage of about 620 miles, or would I earn 1,000 miles (500 mile minimum earning per segment)?
AFAIK this has not been clarified yet. Personally I wouldn't count on the 500-mile minimum still being around.

Originally Posted by lawly
I am booking a flight for myself and my wife. There is only a 50% chance my wife will be able to travel at that time. If she can't go, can I cancel her part of the reservation and get travel credit for future flights?
Yes. But only she can use the credit.
lawly likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Hey all,

I have 25,100 miles expiring in June. I had used these once for a South America - South America return (or maybe it was 1 way I forget) but in the end that trip got cancelled. Then covid hit blah blah fast forward to today. Normally this would be easy, I'd buy gas or whatever and keep my miles going. But I'm Canadian, I don't have any access to the AA branded credit cards, we don't really have any easy AA partners and I don't believe the shopping portal will work for me either. I also tried to donate miles, but they required minimum 1,000 and I don't really wanna drop below the 25,000 threshold. I do think I'll use them for an SA-SA ticket again in the future, but I have nothing planned now, and nothing that I'm confident in booking today even for a year out (just started a new job, so vacation isn't really on the table anytime soon).

So I ask you guys, any ideas on how I may be able to keep my miles from expiring? I have no flights of any kind planned for the next little while and when I do, I need to stick to Star Alliance to make sure I don't lose my status. I have a short haul BA flight but not until well after the expiry.

Any ideas? Anything I'm missing?
Old Jan 29, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Hey all,

I have 25,100 miles expiring in June. I had used these once for a South America - South America return (or maybe it was 1 way I forget) but in the end that trip got cancelled. Then covid hit blah blah fast forward to today. Normally this would be easy, I'd buy gas or whatever and keep my miles going. But I'm Canadian, I don't have any access to the AA branded credit cards, we don't really have any easy AA partners and I don't believe the shopping portal will work for me either. I also tried to donate miles, but they required minimum 1,000 and I don't really wanna drop below the 25,000 threshold. I do think I'll use them for an SA-SA ticket again in the future, but I have nothing planned now, and nothing that I'm confident in booking today even for a year out (just started a new job, so vacation isn't really on the table anytime soon).

So I ask you guys, any ideas on how I may be able to keep my miles from expiring? I have no flights of any kind planned for the next little while and when I do, I need to stick to Star Alliance to make sure I don't lose my status. I have a short haul BA flight but not until well after the expiry.

Any ideas? Anything I'm missing?
I'm not sure if AAdvantage Dining works with.a Canadian credit card, but if it does and you are crossing the border these days, there are participating restaurants in Bellingham, WA.

Bed, Bath and Beyond participates in AAdvantage e-shopping, but I don't know whether that works with shipping to Canadian addresses.
Old Jan 29, 2022, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by lawly
I am booking a flight for myself and my wife. There is only a 50% chance my wife will be able to travel at that time. If she can't go, can I cancel her part of the reservation and get travel credit for future flights? Or would I need to cancel the whole reservation and rebook mine (presumably at a higher rate)? I want to book now because tickets are cheaper than usual for this particular route on the day we want.
You can just cancel her if needed, you don't have to cancel the entire reservation for both of you.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
What's the best way--and likelihood of--making a case that since online baggage payment was unavailable during online checkin I should be refunded the difference between in-airport and online for 3x bags (including 1x overweight) for an international flight?
Old Jan 30, 2022, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
What's the best way--and likelihood of--making a case that since online baggage payment was unavailable during online checkin I should be refunded the difference between in-airport and online for 3x bags (including 1x overweight) for an international flight?
What's the fee difference between paying online, and paying in person at the airport for AA checked baggage?
Old Jan 31, 2022, 6:55 am

If I have the aa advantage plat select card and book through aa.com a flight thats operated by JetBlue, do I still get a free checked bag?

sorry if this has been answered before, I get really confused by the search on Flyertalk, especially when on mobile
Old Jan 31, 2022, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by lcb2013
If I have the aa advantage plat select card and book through aa.com a flight thats operated by JetBlue, do I still get a free checked bag?

sorry if this has been answered before, I get really confused by the search on Flyertalk, especially when on mobile
Eligible Citi / AAdvantage primary credit cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on domestic itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on itineraries marketed by American Airlines and operated as American Eagle flights by Envoy Air Inc., Republic Airways Inc., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., or Piedmont Airlines, Inc. All flights on the itinerary must be domestic flights marketed by American Airlines and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle. This benefit will not be available for travel on codeshare flights booked with an American Airlines flight number but operated by another airline

No, JetBlue dies not give you a free bag
Old Feb 1, 2022, 12:27 pm

Is it worth it to spend around $400 this month to reach gold status? I fly about 20 times a year, probably a few times with luggage. Thanks!

Last edited by DCBound2016; Feb 1, 2022 at 12:36 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.