Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Is it possible to change my return flight after I've flown the outbound? Trying to change the return at the moment causes a huge price jump because the original fare bucket for the outbound is not available. My understanding is that once the outbound is flown then that pricing is locked, so the return flight change could be cheaper (as I know there's plenty of availability across various flights JFK - LHR).
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist Caesars Wyndham Diamond, MGM Gold
Looking to book a business class seat from anywhere in US to anywhere in India during Nov 2nd week for a family member. Etihad routes (ORD, JFK, IAD) have no availability (searching on Etihad site directly for guest seats). Qatar has so many routes (LAX, SFO, SEA, ORD, JFK, DFW & more) and none of those have any availability as well. I am searching for Qatar routes for every city individually on Alaska site and looking for 85K miles business seat and having really very very scarce availability which is also during Nov 1st week (but need on 2nd week)

Am I doing my searching right? Is the availability so bad due to the world cup? Does Qatar have more availability on their own program (avios correct?)? Or is it the same?

Also, Cathay is another option. But not lucky there as well. Using BA Avios tool to find availability. Let me know if I should look elsewhere! I also have Amex MR that I can use. Is CX releasing business seats via asia miles that I can book using MR? Pre-coviid Cathay used to reliably release business and first seats when getting close to travel date (few days to a week) that can be booked with AA/AS milles. Are those days gone for good?

Sorry for so many questions. I am just stumped on the availability even after being flexible to leave from any city in the US. Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 30, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by patriotPHL1
Odd circumstance. I'm plat. Booked a basic economy domestic flight for 10/30. Got put on the upgrade list it appeared when booked. Thought it was a glitch. Then at T-48, one of the legs cleared. Is basic economy upgradable now? I know that it now earns a limited % of miles, but didn't think they were upgrade eligible. Anyone else with experience?
Yep. BE is very much upgradeable / eligible for upgrades. I flew CLT-PUJ-CLT recently in BE and was upgraded both ways….
Old Oct 31, 2022, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by c1223
Is it possible to change my return flight after I've flown the outbound? Trying to change the return at the moment causes a huge price jump because the original fare bucket for the outbound is not available. My understanding is that once the outbound is flown then that pricing is locked, so the return flight change could be cheaper (as I know there's plenty of availability across various flights JFK - LHR).
Definitely possible, you just need to call AA once you've flown the outbound.
c1223 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
I am AA Plat for Life, but not flown much international recently.
My situation; Flying CMH to ORD on AA, then ORD to LHR on B.A. metal (and on to ATH) in Business using my son's SWU and AA miles. I do not have AA Lounge pass.

Can I get into AA Lounge in ORD (4 1/2 hour layover) - Regular or Flagship ? Any recommendations?

Thanks. Mike C
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SAPMAN
I am AA Plat for Life, but not flown much international recently.
My situation; Flying CMH to ORD on AA, then ORD to LHR on B.A. metal (and on to ATH) in Business using my son's SWU and AA miles. I do not have AA Lounge pass.

Can I get into AA Lounge in ORD (4 1/2 hour layover) - Regular or Flagship ? Any recommendations?

Thanks. Mike C
Yep, no problem to access any of the Admirals Clubs or the Flagship Lounge at ORD. Obviously the Flagship Lounge is nicest, go there.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by HGH
- How will AA handle the rest of our ticket without intervention? The same flight the next day is wide open, so that is a likely scenario if the later flights are truly filled.
You'll be rebooked on the next flight with available seats and can standby for earlier flights.

- How quickly do I need to call in, can I wait until they put us on a new flight?
If you miss your connection, stand in line to talk to a customer service agent to get reaccommodated AND call AA customer service to see which one can help you first.
- Plan B - keep rental car for full trip, drive back to DFW for final flight home - would need a later DFW-CLT flight than I currently have though
Yes it would be possible for the agent to remove the "shuttle" legs from the trip because of the IRROPs, but don't just skip those legs otherwise you're entire reservation would be cancelled. Make sure to get this all taken care of before you leave DFW.
- Plan C - return rental car in small town and keep both legs of original flight home; would be more expensive for rental, but would be willing to pay to avoid the drive
Same answer as plan B

Basically whatever option you choose, make sure it is taken care of before you leave DFW. Unless your originating flight is extremely late departing CLT, there's nothing you can do or need to do before you get to DFW and have missed the flight. At that point, it's recommended to use all options you have have to get where you need to go.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 10:29 am

Hi everyone,

Planning a big trip to Europe next year for our family and the flights alone (on American) look to be around $5000.
I'd like to get a rewards card that could possible lead to some upgrade options for the longhaul flights.
Is there a way to know how many points it would typically "cost" to upgrade a certain leg from economy to premium economy?

TIA
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:10 am

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Have a couple of questions that I'm struggling to find answers to and any help would be great!

I'm AA Platinum Pro, which I believe makes me OneWorld Emerald. I need to book two return flights using OneWorld airlines; a BA flight from Denver to London and a Qatar/BA from London to Kilimanjaro.

Questions are:
- Is it best to book these flights on the respective airline website and enter my AAadvantage details when asked? Or to book everything on AA instead (if that's even possible?)
- Regarding BA and seat charges, does OneWorld Emerald allow me to get seats for free? Or is that wishful thinking?
- Anything else I should consider regarding lounges, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mulderxcoltrane
Hi everyone,

Planning a big trip to Europe next year for our family and the flights alone (on American) look to be around $5000.
I'd like to get a rewards card that could possible lead to some upgrade options for the longhaul flights.
Is there a way to know how many points it would typically "cost" to upgrade a certain leg from economy to premium economy?

TIA
Currently there's no way to upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy using miles. To and from Europe you can upgrade from Economy to Business for 25k miles + $350 (per person, each way).

However AA has been pretty aggressive lately with offering "buy up" type offers to upgrade after tickets are purchased. Once you buy the tickets, keep an eye on your reservation (both on aa.com, and the AA app) there will probably be an offer to upgrade to PE and/or business for $X. The amount will change over time.
mulderxcoltrane likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:29 am
HGH

Originally Posted by wrp96
You'll be rebooked on the next flight with available seats and can standby for earlier flights.

If you miss your connection, stand in line to talk to a customer service agent to get reaccommodated AND call AA customer service to see which one can help you first.
So much useful info in your reply - thank you! Did not know about standing by for an earlier flight or the need to fix it while still at the airport. I kinda thought as long as I reached someone before the rescheduled flight, we'd be safe. Hopefully this info won't be needed this trip, but I know it will be used at some point and appreciate the help.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chickenorfish
I'm AA Platinum Pro, which I believe makes me OneWorld Emerald. I need to book two return flights using OneWorld airlines; a BA flight from Denver to London and a Qatar/BA from London to Kilimanjaro.

Questions are:
- Is it best to book these flights on the respective airline website and enter my AAadvantage details when asked? Or to book everything on AA instead (if that's even possible?)
- Regarding BA and seat charges, does OneWorld Emerald allow me to get seats for free? Or is that wishful thinking?
- Anything else I should consider regarding lounges, etc?
Welcome to FT. The DEN-LHR roundtrip can be booked with AA or BA, however the LHR-Kilimanjaro most likely will not be available to be booked through AA (unless it's all one ticket with the DEN-LHR flight). It really doesn't make much difference however you will earn miles and Loyalty Points at different rates depending on whether you book AA flight numbers or the BA/QR flight numbers.

For seating, yes as a PLT Pro (Emerald) you get free seat selection on BA.

For lounges, at DEN you can access the AA Admirals Club. At LHR this will depend on whether you're flying to DOH on BA (T5) or QR (T4); Departing T5 on BA you can access the BA Galleries First Lounge, and departing T4 on QR there are 2 different QR lounges depending on whether you're in economy or business. Similar situation in DOH, if you're in economy there's 2-3 lounges you can access, if in business then the QR Al Mourjan Business lounge will be the best choice. The oneworld website has details.
chickenorfish likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:27 pm

Any way to keep my Platinum Pro from expiring?

Hey all!

I've held AA Plat pro for the last 2 years which is now expiring Feb 2023.

I have 7000 loyalty points so far.

Does it make sense to get AA status if I'm not a frequent flyer?
Old Oct 31, 2022, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by gamefreakgcb
Does it make sense to get AA status if I'm not a frequent flyer?
Probably not.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by patriotPHL1
Odd circumstance. I'm plat. Booked a basic economy domestic flight for 10/30. Got put on the upgrade list, it appeared, at time of booking. Thought it was a glitch. Then at T-48, one of the legs cleared. Is basic economy upgradable now? I know BE now earns a limited % of miles, but didn't think they were upgrade eligible. Anyone else with experience?
One attempt to bump up to see if any insight. Thanks.

Last edited by patriotPHL1; Nov 2, 2022 at 8:15 am Reason: Grammar

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.