Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
is this correct? When I’ve booked on same reservation, I can select my travelers seats into MCE…

If you are in different reservations, but same flight, how would the system know your spouse is even affiliated with your status account?
The system doesn't automatically know, you just have to call.
KBMIFlyer likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
is this correct? When I’ve booked on same reservation, I can select my travelers seats into MCE…

If you are in different reservations, but same flight, how would the system know your spouse is even affiliated with your status account?
You call and get them seated in MCE.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 11:36 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Question

Question on an upcoming international trip:

Hi, I am curious if this will be allowed or if I will encounter any issues with this:

I live in City A. I need to travel to City C, which is in a different country.
The price for a ticket beginning in City A and ending in City C - with or without stops - costs $3,000.

If I fly from City A to City B the day before my travel on "Ticket 1", spend the night in City B, then fly from City B to City C on a nonrelated/nonconnected "Ticket 2", then return from City C to City B on Ticket 2 and return from City B to City A on Ticket 1 - this costs $1,500.

Is there anything preventing me from booking these tickets?

I understand that flight cancelation for Ticket 1 may impact Ticket 2 on the way out and could cause a problem since they aren't linked. Same thing with Ticket 2 causing problems for Ticket 1 on the way back.

But if I made these two purchases, would the airline prevent me from traveling on Ticket 2 since both tickets are with American and I would technically be in the middle of an unrelated trip for Ticket 1?

I am not certain I am asking the question in a way that makes sense - so I appreciate any and all patience.

Other options:
Fly City A to City B on Ticket 1, but not make it a roundtrip, then Fly City B back to City A on third ticket.
Fly City A to City B, roundtrip, on a different airline.

Last edited by gengo; Oct 17, 2022 at 11:41 am
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengo
Question on an upcoming international trip:

Hi, I am curious if this will be allowed or if I will encounter any issues with this:

I live in City A. I need to travel to City C, which is in a different country.
The price for a ticket beginning in City A and ending in City C - with or without stops - costs $3,000.

If I fly from City A to City B the day before my travel on "Ticket 1", spend the night in City B, then fly from City B to City C on a nonrelated/nonconnected "Ticket 2", then return from City C to City B on Ticket 2 and return from City B to City A on Ticket 1 - this costs $1,500.

Is there anything preventing me from booking these tickets?

I understand that flight cancelation for Ticket 1 may impact Ticket 2 on the way out and could cause a problem since they aren't linked. Same thing with Ticket 2 causing problems for Ticket 1 on the way back.

But if I made these two purchases, would the airline prevent me from traveling on Ticket 2 since both tickets are with American and I would technically be in the middle of an unrelated trip for Ticket 1?

I am not certain I am asking the question in a way that makes sense - so I appreciate any and all patience.

Other options:
Fly City A to City B on Ticket 1, but not make it a roundtrip, then Fly City B back to City A on third ticket.
Fly City A to City B, roundtrip, on a different airline.
That's just positioning to another city to take advantage of a cheaper fare, 100% ok, nothing at all preventing you from doing this. Tons of folks (including myself) do this all the time.

There's no rule that you must book only single tickets from your home city, or anything like that.

As mentioned the only drawbacks are irrops and baggage; AA will not check bags through across separate tickets, and if there are irrops you could run into issues, although if both tickets are on AA they'll usually work with you IME although not guaranteed.
gengo likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 12:24 pm

AA 787 seat configuration in business class

I have a flight booked through the cruise line on August 20, 2023 it’s flight IB4659 from FCO to PHL in business class. I was trying to figure out if the flight would have the super diamond seats? On the Iberia site it says it’s a Boeing 787 airplane.
The other question I had was the flight through the cruise line was booked an Iberia ticket but it said the flight would be an American Airlines operated flight.
Thank you
i hope I included all the necessary information.

Last edited by Rubyod1; Oct 17, 2022 at 1:17 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Rubyod1
I have a flight booked through the cruise line on August 20, 2023 it’s flight IB4659 from FCO to PHL in business class. I was trying to figure out if the flight would have the super diamond seats?
IB4659 is a code share of AA719. It is currently scheduled to be operated by a Boeing 787-8 on that day.

Please refer to the following thread:
Rubyod1 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AAdvantage award travel - first class... is it Flagship? (AA20 DFW->LHR on 777)

*edit: it is a 777-300er; can't edit the subject line

When looking to book award travel (multi city to LHR and then to NAP from GSP), I have an opportunity as part of the trip to go on AA20 from DFW to LHR (and reverse on the return flight) which, when booking as a standard itinerary (not using award miles) shows the flight as a Flagship First Class ticket when booking in the first class cabin. When booked using award travel, it is not showing on aa.com as being Flagship (though still showing as First Class on the same flight in this itinerary). Is this just a bug with the booking system? Would I still get Flagship perks, like Flagship check in, flagship dining in DFW, the first class/flagship equivalent lounge at LHR, and everything else that Flagship nets you, if I booked using award travel? Specifics on differences of what I would get from booking officially Flagship versus award first class booking would be helpful...

For what it is worth, I am EXP with AA (for this first time this year due to spend on co-branded card, I don't fly enough to qualify otherwise) which I know affords some OneWorld status perks on international itineraries. I am basically in this post trying to determine whether it is worth my time or effort to ensure that the booking actually says Flagship on it in the first place when I make it. The booking *will* be made using award miles at the end of the day. As an offshoot to the question I just posted, if it did not end up being a true Flagship First booking, if there is virtually zero other difference in booking the first class product compared with the business class product, I could save a ton of miles by booking the business class product. As context, this is for a 10th anniversary trip with my spouse, so even if the benefits of first over business are somewhat marginal, it may still be worth it to me to plonk down the extra miles on the booking. I would obviously want to be in a seating situation on the plane where I can interact with my spouse, ideally be next to and/or face them when seated. The AA20 flight I would take at least in one direction would be an overnight flight. Wondering about differences between first and business on the flight.

Last edited by Rossodio; Oct 17, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Rossodio
*edit: it is a 777-300er; can't edit the subject line

When looking to book award travel (multi city to LHR and then to NAP from GSP), I have an opportunity as part of the trip to go on AA20 from DFW to LHR (and reverse on the return flight) which, when booking as a standard itinerary (not using award miles) shows the flight as a Flagship First Class ticket when booking in the first class cabin. When booked using award travel, it is not showing on aa.com as being Flagship (though still showing as First Class on the same flight in this itinerary). Is this just a bug with the booking system? Would I still get Flagship perks, like Flagship check in, flagship dining in DFW, the first class/flagship equivalent lounge at LHR, and everything else that Flagship nets you, if I booked using award travel? Specifics on differences of what I would get from booking officially Flagship versus award first class booking would be helpful...

For what it is worth, I am EXP with AA (for this first time this year due to spend on co-branded card, I don't fly enough to qualify otherwise) which I know affords some OneWorld status perks on international itineraries. I am basically in this post trying to determine whether it is worth my time or effort to ensure that the booking actually says Flagship on it in the first place when I make it. The booking *will* be made using award miles at the end of the day. As an offshoot to the question I just posted, if it did not end up being a true Flagship First booking, if there is virtually zero other difference in booking the first class product compared with the business class product, I could save a ton of miles by booking the business class product. As context, this is for a 10th anniversary trip with my spouse, so even if the benefits of first over business are somewhat marginal, it may still be worth it to me to plonk down the extra miles on the booking. I would obviously want to be in a seating situation on the plane where I can interact with my spouse, ideally be next to and/or face them when seated. The AA20 flight I would take at least in one direction would be an overnight flight. Wondering about differences between first and business on the flight.
Yes, if you're in F on the 77W on a longhaul flight like DFW-LHR then it's considered "Flagship" regardless of what aa.com displays or how you book it (miles vs. paid fare), etc.

AA.com is horribly inconsistent with its "Flagship" marketing, sometimes "Flagship" is displayed and sometimes it's not depending on how you search or what page you're looking at, your same question pops up on here on a weekly basis.

As to the First vs. Business question, how much is a "ton of miles" that you'd be saving by booking business? AA's business on the 77W is it's best seat and the onboard service and food/drink will be largely the same. The biggest differentiator (IMO) is access to Flagship Dining but even that isn't that great or something I'd spend thousands of miles or dollars to get. The regular Flagship Lounge that you'd have access to in business is perfectly nice for a preflight snack and a few drinks.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, if you're in F on the 77W on a longhaul flight like DFW-LHR then it's considered "Flagship" regardless of what aa.com displays or how you book it (miles vs. paid fare), etc.

AA.com is horribly inconsistent with its "Flagship" marketing, sometimes "Flagship" is displayed and sometimes it's not depending on how you search or what page you're looking at, your same question pops up on here on a weekly basis.

As to the First vs. Business question, how much is a "ton of miles" that you'd be saving by booking business? AA's business on the 77W is it's best seat and the onboard service and food/drink will be largely the same. The biggest differentiator (IMO) is access to Flagship Dining but even that isn't that great or something I'd spend thousands of miles or dollars to get. The regular Flagship Lounge that you'd have access to in business is perfectly nice for a preflight snack and a few drinks.

The difference in miles between booking for the both of us, round trip, would be total of 75,000. As an EXP, trying to figure out exactly what is different and if it is worth it. Smaller cabin... slightly different seating config... Flagship Dining... Anything else, really? Also, you mention being "in F" - I take it you mean being in the first class cabin - not having an F fare. My understanding is that my fare class would be different due to it being an award ticket.

As a side question, since it is a multi-city ticket going both ways (have to book as GSP->LHR then LHR->NAP due to not being on AA metal to NAP, and same on the reverse trip), do I have to book two separate reservations? I am not seeing an option to make this round trip when booking online. I suppose in the end that isn't a huge deal but would like to know.

Finally, it looks at least on the return trip like I could lay over for a number of hours in DFW, JFK, or MIA (and perhaps ORD) after international flights on 7W from LHR. Any of the Flagship Lounges and/or airports worth going through above the others if I have a choice between these?

Last edited by Rossodio; Oct 17, 2022 at 3:58 pm
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The difference in miles between booking for the both of us, round trip, would be total of 75,000. As an EXP, trying to figure out exactly what is different and if it is worth it. Smaller cabin... slightly different seating config... Flagship Dining... Anything else, really? Also, you mention being "in F" - I take it you mean being in the first class cabin - not having an F fare. My understanding is that my fare class would be different due to it being an award ticket.

As a side question, since it is a multi-city ticket going both ways (have to book as GSP->LHR then LHR->NAP due to not being on AA metal to NAP, and same on the reverse trip), do I have to book two separate reservations? I am not seeing an option to make this round trip when booking online. I suppose in the end that isn't a huge deal but would like to know.

Finally, it looks at least on the return trip like I could lay over for a number of hours in DFW, JFK, or MIA (and perhaps ORD) after international flights on 7W from LHR. Any of the Flagship Lounges and/or airports worth going through above the others if I have a choice between these?
Yea, F as in First Class in general, not necessarily a full F fare basis.

I'm guessing the GSP-LHR is available only as a web special, so you'll have to book any connecting flights like LHR-NAP as a separate booking. If GSP-LHR is available as sAAver space then you could combine it with the LHR-NAP for the same price. Keep in mind that AA will not check bags through across separate tickets, so if you're checking luggage you'll have to allow time in LHR to arrive, claim your bags and clear immigration/customs, and check-in again with BA.

Personally speaking but for a 75k savings no way I'd book F over J.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yea, F as in First Class in general, not necessarily a full F fare basis.

I'm guessing the GSP-LHR is available only as a web special, so you'll have to book any connecting flights like LHR-NAP as a separate booking. If GSP-LHR is available as sAAver space then you could combine it with the LHR-NAP for the same price. Keep in mind that AA will not check bags through across separate tickets, so if you're checking luggage you'll have to allow time in LHR to arrive, claim your bags and clear immigration/customs, and check-in again with BA.
Not necessarily. See Post #1492, above.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Right, I don't think this one is a web special. The tickets end up being pretty steep on first or business - nearing 400,000 miles to be used round trip for two people on FF - and 325,000 miles round trip on FB. This seems to be true throughout the month of May which is when I intend to have them booked for.
Old Oct 17, 2022, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Right, I don't think this one is a web special. The tickets end up being pretty steep on first or business - nearing 400,000 miles to be used round trip for two people on FF - and 325,000 miles round trip on FB. This seems to be true throughout the month of May which is when I intend to have them booked for.
Yeh but using multi-city have you actually tried to click through and book it once the flights are selected? It will typically error out as AA doesn't allow you to combine a web special and sAAver/partner space on the same PNR (AFAIK).
Old Oct 17, 2022, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Yeh but using multi-city have you actually tried to click through and book it once the flights are selected?
I have not -- but the mileage quote is sometimes less than pricing each component separately. If AA won't honor that reduced mileage quote, they might be in for some trouble with the DOT.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:24 am

If I booked a Marriott hotel reservation via AA hotels, will I still earn Marriott nights stayed via bonvoy? And would I still get bonvoy points? It’s not showing up in my Marriott account as an upcoming trip. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.