FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Partner Airline Loyalty Point & Miles Earning Charts 2022 are Live (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2063670-partner-airline-loyalty-point-miles-earning-charts-2022-live.html)

VFR Dec 30, 2021 9:49 am

Partner Airline Loyalty Point & Miles Earning Charts 2022 are Live

It seems that AA.com has been updated with slightly changed partner airline earning charts. It doesn't seem like there are major changes, but it does seem that certain earning has been improved. BA First now earns either 250% or 300% of miles flown, which makes it quite competitive with Alaska's program. BA W has also been improved to 150% of miles flown as RDM (and thus loyalty points).

Sadly CX economy fares still do not earn miles or elite credits.

VFR Dec 30, 2021 9:53 am

Basic Economy fares on Alaska and JetBlue will now credit to AA, which is a nice change.

JDiver Dec 30, 2021 12:01 pm

Cabin bonus miles (& Loyalty Points) change on British & Iberia 2022

The percentage used to calculate miles (and therefore Loyalty Points) changes for BA and IB in 2022.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...sh-airways.jsp

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/iberia.jsp

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...49a2a661d.jpeg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0a2fc42a4.jpeg

hawkfan7314 Dec 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Can someone help me understand how this works for a mileage run I was doing to finish up status in Jan.

Alaska (I) Fare
10196 miles traveled

Will I still earn
$3059 EQD
15,294 EQM ?

How many LPs?

FlyingEgghead Dec 30, 2021 1:54 pm

Wow, Jan-Feb 2022 will be the first and only time (as far as I know) that some partner tables will violate the hitherto universal rule that RDM (excluding elite bonus) equals 5x EQD. But yes, great news that in some cases RDM (and thus LP) is increasing.

Originally Posted by hawkfan7314 (Post 33855923)
Can someone help me understand how this works for a mileage run I was doing to finish up status in Jan.

Alaska (I) Fare
10196 miles traveled

Will I still earn
$3059 EQD
15,294 EQM ?

How many LPs?

Correct. And if you are PLT, the RDM and LP will be 10,196 x (100% base + 50% cabin bonus + 60% elite bonus) = 21,412.

FlyingEgghead Dec 30, 2021 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 33855376)
Basic Economy fares on Alaska and JetBlue will now credit to AA, which is a nice change.

Not a surprise since those fares always earned RDM, right? And LP will equal RDM. Same for BE on AA itself.

skunker Dec 30, 2021 2:11 pm

This is pretty big change. AA I fares into Europe usually book BA intra-Europe legs in J.

scubadu Dec 30, 2021 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by skunker (Post 33856109)
This is pretty big change. AA I fares into Europe usually book BA intra-Europe legs in J.

I have to say, this is actually quite a stunning change and I'm a pessimistic guy by nature. Basically, discount premium economy across all OneWorld carriers earns no cabin bonus whatsoever. Full fare Premium Economy does, but few would book that given the price delta. International PE was a sweet spot in the previous system for earning EQDs via longer distances and earning 1.5 EQMs per mile (vs. 1 for standard econ).

Similary, Qatar, which was another sweet spot literally has no cabin bonus at all for discount business.

I played around with an example Qatar flight (business class) from IAH to DPS (Houston to Bali) to educate myself. In the current system that flight would earn ~39% of the required EQMs toward EXP and ~34% of the required EQDs toward EXP. In the new, LP system, same flight would earn you ~13% of EXP! That is actually a pretty stunning devaluation... :(

The same QR flight credited to BA rather that AA would earn you 40% of BA Gold (top tier, OneWorld Emerald)

I've been saying for years that "winter is coming" (to quote a rather famous show) to these programs, mostly only to be poo poo'd by many here, but I think it might actually be here.

I'm doubly shocked that AA is going this direction now, giving that both business and international travel are still quite weak.

Regards

jmj9905 Dec 30, 2021 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 33855747)

JDiver thanks for this information. I have used the citi executive plat card for years. I had forgotten about the Barclay card. This gives us the opportunity to pick up some nice bonus miles.

FlyingEgghead Dec 31, 2021 12:03 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 33856353)
I have to say, this is actually quite a stunning change and I'm a pessimistic guy by nature. Basically, discount premium economy across all OneWorld carriers earns no cabin bonus whatsoever. Full fare Premium Economy does, but few would book that given the price delta. International PE was a sweet spot in the previous system for earning EQDs via longer distances and earning 1.5 EQMs per mile (vs. 1 for standard econ).

It will still be just about as much of a sweet spot. Broadly speaking, EQM didn't matter much in the previous system because EQD was the more difficult requirement to meet (for the sort of frugal traveler who talks about "sweet spots"). For example, partner PE with 1.5 EQM and 20% EQD would reach the "normal times" EXP requirement of 15,000 EQD after flying 75,000 miles, yielding 112,500 EQM (more than enough). Now, LP is essentially a rebranding and rescaling of EQD. For EXP requalification, 200,000 LP is equivalent to 18,182 EQD, which is worse than 15,000 EQD but not catastrophic (given that CC spend miles also count as LP).

Similary, Qatar, which was another sweet spot literally has no cabin bonus at all for discount business.

I played around with an example Qatar flight (business class) from IAH to DPS (Houston to Bali) to educate myself. In the current system that flight would earn ~39% of the required EQMs toward EXP and ~34% of the required EQDs toward EXP. In the new, LP system, same flight would earn you ~13% of EXP! That is actually a pretty stunning devaluation... :(

You seem to be forgetting that LP includes elite bonuses. If you're already EXP, that IAH-DOH-DPS round trip (25,846 miles) in R class will earn 54,277 LP, which is 27% (not 13%) of EXP requalification.

I've been saying for years that "winter is coming" (to quote a rather famous show) to these programs, mostly only to be poo poo'd by many here, but I think it might actually be here.

You might be exaggerating the chill.

kq747 Dec 31, 2021 6:49 am

Was there previously a cabin bonus for QR discounted business? I don't recall ever receiving one

scubadu Dec 31, 2021 6:55 am

Originally Posted by kq747 (Post 33857665)
Was there previously a cabin bonus for QR discounted business? I don't recall ever receiving one

You are correct, there was not a cabin bonus for discount business on QR previously, in terms of RDMs. However, in that case, as a partner flight, you did at least earn EQM/EQDs based on distance rather than ticket price paid. In the new LP scheme, where EQM/EQDs go away, cabin bonus is the method to award greater LPs based on class of service/fare code. So previously, the lack of cabin bonus on QR didn't really matter, at least in terms of crediting to AA for qualifying, but now it does kinda matter.

Regards

kq747 Dec 31, 2021 8:19 am

Originally Posted by scubadu (Post 33857679)
You are correct, there was not a cabin bonus for discount business on QR previously, in terms of RDMs. However, in that case, as a partner flight, you did at least earn EQM/EQDs based on distance rather than ticket price paid. In the new LP scheme, where EQM/EQDs go away, cabin bonus is the method to award greater LPs based on class of service/fare code. So previously, the lack of cabin bonus on QR didn't really matter, at least in terms of crediting to AA for qualifying, but now it does kinda matter.

Regards

Ah I see your point now

chicagoflyer1976 Dec 31, 2021 9:36 am

Still not clear how many loyalty points I’d earn on a parter airline. For example, if I buy a $400 ticket in I class where i fly 3,000 miles, how many loyalty points do I earn?

footballfanatic Dec 31, 2021 9:59 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976 (Post 33858063)
Still not clear how many loyalty points I’d earn on a parter airline. For example, if I buy a $400 ticket in I class where i fly 3,000 miles, how many loyalty points do I earn?

it depends on the partner